105 posts
  • 5 / 11
 by Hacksaw
9 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

RAMMAN76 wrote:Rumor is "The Edge" might be available.

:D

I'll settle for his Explorer...

by ramsman34
9 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8671  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Hacksaw wrote:I'll settle for his Explorer...

Me too. Beautiful Korina wood, natural finish. Such an awesome axe. !

by PARAM
9 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12318  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:They will compete. I think you’re saying they won’t be competitive.

Back to this “they will add an edge player” sitch.

They won’t. Not because they don’t want to or wont try. Because like many have stated, Including Snead, they aren’t available. The Rams “spent” at Safety, interior OL, and corner. They got a steal at corner. But those other positions, and you can add ILB and RB to the list, are easier to fill at bargain prices.

They aren’t getting Edge, QB, LT, or WR1 without making a serious trade. So, will they trade for an edge player? Probably not at all but possibly at the trade deadline if we are ahead of schedule (as has been stated here by many).

You can call out the need and WANT it to happen. But there are a lot more moving parts to it than that.

Lastly, if they do bring someone in, someone else has to get cut. They aren’t doing that for a lateral talent move.

JMO

Precisely. Moving parts. Salary cap. Fit. Locker room. Not Madden 2023.

I think they believe they have a stud in Young and possibly Mathis or Hampton. It's just not going to happen over night. Remember Jevon Kearse? 14.5 sacks his rookie year. 1st rounder. In his first 8 games in the NFL, he had one 3 sack game in week 2 and 1.5 sacks in the other 7 games. So he lit up 36 year old Lomas Brown for 3 sacks and got schooled the other 7 games. The thing is, after a half of a season, he had a sack in every one of those last 8 games (10 total). I'm not saying Byron Young = Jevon Kearse, I'm simply saying "it doesn't happen over night". How would we feel if Young had a 10 sack season?

by ramsman34
9 months 4 weeks ago

I’d feel awesome about him if he does that. Heck, if we can get 15-20 from the edge position it might be considered a win. E Jones will get some AD will, other interior guys will get a few. Some safeties will get some and some blitzing corners will too.

I wonder how many total sacks we need to be effective (knowing when you get them is more important than how many you get).

by PARAM
9 months 4 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:I’d feel awesome about him if he does that. Heck, if we can get 15-20 from the edge position it might be considered a win. E Jones will get some AD will, other interior guys will get a few. Some safeties will get some and some blitzing corners will too.

I wonder how many total sacks we need to be effective (knowing when you get them is more important than how many you get).

I took it as a good sign when Hampton made the 53. We knew Mathis would because they were putting him on IR. I'm sure it looked bad to some that Thomas and Hardy were cut but Thomas was quickly signed to the practice squad. VanVulkenberg might surprise a lot of us. They probably didn't want somebody to grab him if he was released instead of Hardy and Thomas.

by ramsww
9 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   478  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

PARAM wrote:Precisely. Moving parts. Salary cap. Fit. Locker room. Not Madden 2023.

I think they believe they have a stud in Young and possibly Mathis or Hampton. It's just not going to happen over night. Remember Jevon Kearse? 14.5 sacks his rookie year. 1st rounder. In his first 8 games in the NFL, he had one 3 sack game in week 2 and 1.5 sacks in the other 7 games. So he lit up 36 year old Lomas Brown for 3 sacks and got schooled the other 7 games. The thing is, after a half of a season, he had a sack in every one of those last 8 games (10 total). I'm not saying Byron Young = Jevon Kearse, I'm simply saying "it doesn't happen over night". How would we feel if Young had a 10 sack season?

How would I feel if Young had a 10 sack season? I'd feel like we need ANOTHER impact edge player. I didn't expect Avila to start game 1 but that seems likely and I'm ecstatic. I don't see Young or Hampton having much impact and if that happens neither will AD. If AD has no help it will be double and trip teams on him all year. I'm not talking about Clowney, or even Dunlap or Ingram but Trevis Gipson was waived by the Bears. I don't know his status now but the Rams made NO waiver signings and in light of the Edge situ I guess we'll see how game 1 against Seattle goes. You seem fine with our pass rush.

by ramsman34
9 months 4 weeks ago

You have to accept the bigger picture. They don’t have cap space. They will have to release someone to sign anyone, at any position. They like the young guns and what to see what they bring and develop them for the future. Their plan is to dominate on offense and be opportunistic in defense as they take the growing pains.

Sneed said it himself, the want is greater than what’s available. If they thought there was someone who could really improve the roster, especially at edge, don’t you think they would find a way to cut someone, restructure a contract and sign the guy??

They aren’t just gonna sign a guy because he plays the position. That makes zero sense.

Besides, they should be looking for a big NT to help stop the run. If they can’t stop the run, all the pass rush in the world won’t matter.

by ramsww
9 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   478  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

ramsman34 wrote:You have to accept the bigger picture. They don’t have cap space. They will have to release someone to sign anyone, at any position. They like the young guns and what to see what they bring and develop them for the future. Their plan is to dominate on offense and be opportunistic in defense as they take the growing pains.

Sneed said it himself, the want is greater than what’s available. If they thought there was someone who could really improve the roster, especially at edge, don’t you think they would find a way to cut someone, restructure a contract and sign the guy??

They aren’t just gonna sign a guy because he plays the position. That makes zero sense.

Besides, they should be looking for a big NT to help stop the run. If they can’t stop the run, all the pass rush in the world won’t matter.

As for “they like the young guys” I can’t agree. While no where near worth cutting, Young & Hamilton are NO WHERE NEAR being capable starters. They are ALL we have. I understand the cap and never mentioned Clowney. Van Noy had 5 sacks per yr for the last 3 yrs straight. Could have helped.

Cameron DeSilva seems to be saying EXACTLY what I’ve been saying and Snead quoted here in the article says it all. I’m NOT knocking their decisions, I just think we may still sign someone in that rehab or long in tooth category at a reasonable (affordable) price.

Snead:

“I could simply say, ‘Oh yeah, we’ll definitely take a really good, experienced outside linebacker,’ right? You’d probably always be in the market for that,” Snead said. “Now, their availability, I bet is a lot – our wishes for that is greater than their availability usually this time of year, but that’d be an interesting analytics study. If we take all the OLBs who are on the street today and then see how they do from this point forward. I think you get what I’m saying, but we would, again, always take an experienced outside linebacker who can affect the game, either on the line of scrimmage in the run game or the passer.”

There’s no doubt the market at edge rusher has dried up, but the Rams had opportunities to add a veteran (or two). Jadeveon Clowney, for instance, just signed with the Ravens for $2.5 million. Justin Houston got $6 million from the Panthers this summer. The Rams had chances to bring in help, but they obviously didn’t feel the available players were worth their contracts.

The Rams could end up regretting their prudent approach at this important position. When Aaron Donald is getting triple-teamed and his impact is being felt less because the Rams don’t have anyone to draw attention away from him, it’s going to hurt the defense.

There’s still time for Los Angeles to add help – Melvin Ingram, Carlos Dunlap and Malik Reed are all available – but it doesn’t sound like that’s in the cards for this team.

by Joe Pendleton
9 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1843  
Virgin Islands (USA)   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

any of those 3 cats ya mentioned, would do nicely!@ramsww .. taking some pressure off AD has got to be an absolute priority, right? McSnead are u listening (lol)

by PARAM
9 months 4 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:You have to accept the bigger picture. They don’t have cap space. They will have to release someone to sign anyone, at any position. They like the young guns and what to see what they bring and develop them for the future. Their plan is to dominate on offense and be opportunistic in defense as they take the growing pains.

Accept the bigger picture? Yebbit, yebbit, yebbit!!!

Young is NOWHERE NEAR starting material? I have no idea who Hamilton is! ;) but I wonder what facts were tabulated to come to that conclusion? Preseason? Draft slot? Because Cameron DeSilva said it? So let me pose a question for the rational thinking Ramsman34.....if Young has 5 sacks this year, it would be cheaper than signing Van Noy and therefore, better than signing Van Noy. Right?

As far as Snead's comments, "“I could simply say, ‘Oh yeah, we’ll definitely take a really good, experienced outside linebacker,’ right? You’d probably always be in the market for that,”, he might as well have continued with that thought and ask, "know any available?".

Really good. VanNoy's 5 sacks is "really good". Let's see if the rookie can equal that. Hell, Hoecht had 4.5 sacks last year but he's not expected to be a force. A half sack more makes VanNoy "good"?

Experienced. Trevis Gipson? 19 starts in 3 years? Okay, he had 489 snaps in 2021 and had 7 sacks. Not bad. In 2022 he 641 snaps and had 3 sacks. He may be experienced but he definitely isn't "really good". The freaking Bears (25-41 the last 4 years) CUT HIM!!!! I guess he would be considered one of those "other teams T Lew" we could coach up....except our coaches are accused of not doing a good job coaching up edge players. Weird eh? Unless I'm remembering incorrectly.

Hey if a "really good, experienced" edge becomes available, I'm sure the Rams will do their due diligence. Like the man intimated, know any?

• 5 / 11
105 posts Jun 29 2024