45 posts
  • 3 / 5
 by Mr. Sparkle
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   964  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Veteran

ziggy wrote:Or when the Rams kick, the oculus will show a bunch of LED footballs raining down in all different locations. I thought it was funny that we started playing LED board shenanigans at the Colosseum when the opponents were kicking, but they were pretty mild.

Yes! I thought that was pretty cool. They didn't start until the end of this last season. I figured the NFL would have the stop... They could be crazy with the Oculus with opponents that I am sure the NFL would clamp down on.

by Hacksaw
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

First the Bob-n-Weave, now possibly the Oculus... ugh
NFL = No Fun League

by JackPMiller
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Don't Cali have an issue with Earthquakes? I know it has been awhile since the state probably had one, but is SoFi able to handle the possibility of an Earthquake?

by Elvis
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   39623  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

JackPMiller wrote:Don't Cali have an issue with Earthquakes? I know it has been awhile since the state probably had one, but is SoFi able to handle the possibility of an Earthquake?

I doubt anyone has even thought about that and sofi will no doubt crumble completely at the first sign of a tremor...

by snackdaddy
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9818  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I wonder if huge exhaust fans that can pull air and push it out would make it cooler on hot days? I used to work in a 60,000 square foot warehouse that had no air conditioning but exhaust fans pulling air and pushing it out the top. When it was 100 degrees outside the warehouse would be around 85. Not too bad really. Obviously the stadium is much bigger. I wonder if enough of those fans could make it cooler on the hot days?

The roof will keep the rain out. And I don't think I'd worry about cold days. Isn't a cold day there around mid 50's? Inglewood forecast for the next week is calling for mid 60's.

by Hacksaw
4 years 7 months ago

JackPMiller wrote:Doesn't Cali have an issue with Earthquakes? I know it has been awhile since the state probably had one, but is SoFi able to handle the possibility of an Earthquake?

Yes we do.
It depends how close the epicenter is and the magnitude on the Richter scale. (Charles Richter developed the Richter Scale in 1935)
Be certain SoFi was engineered to withstand forces greater than could occur. There are stress / expansion joints al over that roof. The Oculus appears to hang where it could sway. The columns are locked by the roof (wave sections) where it connects with the ground.
Unless a fissure ran through the stadium, I'd say it's cool.

Now a 350 foot tidal wave, that has me freaked out. I'd hate to be down in the bowl when that happened. :shock2: ;) 8-)

by DirtyFacedKid
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   974  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

I'm actually curious how loud the airplane noise will be. I lived on the north side of El Segundo for a year and you could not talk to each other when a jet took off. I know they're full throttle at that point and we're really only dealing with approaching/landing craft at SoFi but still...

by Elvis
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   39623  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

DirtyFacedKid wrote:I'm actually curious how loud the airplane noise will be. I lived on the north side of El Segundo for a year and you could not talk to each other when a jet took off. I know they're full throttle at that point and we're really only dealing with approaching/landing craft at SoFi but still...

When i did my drive by this week, saw a lot of planes, didn't really hear them much, and under the roof should be even quieter, well we'll see but don't think it's gonna be a big deal. Don't think it's gonna be a Shea Stadium...

by Hacksaw
4 years 7 months ago

I'd think the roof might keep the sound in. Maybe even louder than CenturyLink????

Yeah when all the retractable panels are closed the roof should deflect the sound and disperse it due to the convex surface shape.
Hopefully we fans will be making so much noise the plane could be in the stadium and not be heard.

GO RAMS !!!

• 3 / 5
45 posts Oct 05 2024