134 posts
  • 14 / 14
 by moklerman
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I'm really surprised at the lack of interest in OL. I much more confident in McVay finding a RB just about anywhere to produce in his system if the line is functioning well. I don't want a repeat of last year so burning one of our limited picks on a RB seems wasteful to me. If there's nowhere to run, it isn't going to matter.

OL is the priority unless some major talent drops much farther than expected.

by PARAM
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12446  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I'm really surprised at the lack of interest in OL. I much more confident in McVay finding a RB just about anywhere to produce in his system if the line is functioning well. I don't want a repeat of last year so burning one of our limited picks on a RB seems wasteful to me. If there's nowhere to run, it isn't going to matter.

OL is the priority unless some major talent drops much farther than expected.

Honestly, you want an OL at #52 or #57 who you expect to be starting? Where? C? G? T?

I don't doubt that OL is a priority but IMO, I think it's with 2021 in mind.

I would rather spend those two picks on RB, WR or Edge. Somebody who can contribute in 2020, in a situational basis.

I honestly think they may be happy with their youngsters ( Noteboom, Edwards, Evans, Corbett and Allen) teamed with those 3 vets (Whit, Havenstein and Blythe). And they still have other youngsters who could be in the plans (Shelton, Brewer, Trewyn, Kolone). I hope they still add to that group in the 3rd or 4th round though.

RB, WR and Edge or ILB would be a good first 3 or 4 picks.

by moklerman
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

It's possible they could develop and that's definitely the hope. But last year's results sure didn't look too promising. If the Rams can get starting caliber OL with their early picks then I'd use them for that. They don't seem to have the same eye for talent on the OL as they do for skill positions so they may have to keep taking them until they stick.

I just have no interest in RB when the OL couldn't open holes for ANYONE last year. Maybe that Cooks/Jackson type WR with one of those picks but I don't see a solid college prospect "fixing" the running game. The next Adrian Peterson isn't going to fall THAT far. And anything less than that, with our OL will be redundant.

by PARAM
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12446  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:It's possible they could develop and that's definitely the hope. But last year's results sure didn't look too promising. If the Rams can get starting caliber OL with their early picks then I'd use them for that. They don't seem to have the same eye for talent on the OL as they do for skill positions so they may have to keep taking them until they stick.

I just have no interest in RB when the OL couldn't open holes for ANYONE last year. Maybe that Cooks/Jackson type WR with one of those picks but I don't see a solid college prospect "fixing" the running game. The next Adrian Peterson isn't going to fall THAT far. And anything less than that, with our OL will be redundant.

Last year's results didn't look too promising? They had 3 injuries, ended up starting 2 rookies and a 2nd year guy with 1 or 2 starts to his credit and they went 9-7! How is that "not too promising"?

They don't seem to have an eye for OL talent? Here's the OL Snead drafted in the first 100 picks of the draft:

T (1st #2, 2014) G. Robinson
T (2nd #57, 2016) R. Havenstein
G (3rd #72, 2016) J. Brown
T (3rd #89, 2018) J. Noteboom
T (3rd #97, 2019) B. Evans

Which are failures? G. Rob? Outside of him, I'd say Snead's record is pretty decent with OL. From the 4th on down it's a little more dicey. You get guys like Rokevious Watkins (#150, 2012), Barrett Jones (#113; 2013), Mitchell Van Dyk (#226; 2014), D. Rhaney (#250; 2014), Andrew Donnal (#119; 2015), Cody Wichman (#215; 2015), Jamil Demby (#192; 2018) and then guys like Brian Allen (#192; 2018) and David Edwards (#169; 2019). So maybe a 25% success rate after the top 100? 4 of the 14 lineman Snead drafted aren't in the NFL anymore, Watkins, Jones, Wichmann and Van Dyk, the highest being Jones #113; 4th round, while the other 10 were still playing in 2019. I don't know if we can truly say they don't have an eye for OL talent. One first round pick; one first round failure. I'd say he finds good lineman in the 2nd and 3rd, sometimes lower.

• 14 / 14
134 posts Oct 07 2024