66 posts
  • 7 / 7
 by rams74
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1500  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

I'm turned off by taking perfectly good English words, combining them together, and turning them into a political catch-phrase that means something else. To me, "virtue signaling" falls into that category.

by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:I'm turned off by taking perfectly good English words, combining them together, and turning them into a political catch-phrase that means something else. To me, "virtue signaling" falls into that category.

So you’re turned off by political catch phrases like “white privilege,” “critical race theory” and “assigned at birth.”

Good to know.

by /zn/
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6803  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:I'm turned off by taking perfectly good English words, combining them together, and turning them into a political catch-phrase that means something else. To me, "virtue signaling" falls into that category.

It's usually just used to dismiss motives of those doing something the dismisser cannot abide usually for purely political reasons. It's just a more nasty but less substantive version of "I don't agree" or "my opinion differs." It can't be more than that, really, because it consists of "mind reading" ie ad hominem motives attacks.

by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:It's usually just used to dismiss motives of those doing something the dismisser cannot abide usually for purely political reasons. It's just a more nasty but less substantive version of "I don't agree" or "my opinion differs." It can't be more than that, really, because it consists of "mind reading" ie ad hominem motives attacks.

This concludes another episode of Captain Hypocrite in his never ending battle with his arch nemesis, The Strawman!

by St. Loser Fan
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   10576  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Not football, but you can see the effect.

by Jerseydevil
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   15  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

If this makes him a better hockey player, then I'm happy for him.

• 7 / 7
66 posts Jun 17 2024