71 posts
  • 7 / 8
 by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

imo the the two passes are different animals because of mccourty, he stayed at home causing goff to not pull the trigger when he wanted to, had goff thrown earlier, when he had time to step up and make the throw, he would have been guessing about mccourty, whether or not he would drop back to help with cooks or bite on woods, and that, coupled with the pressure, wrecked the play (imo).

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5591  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I don't see it that way at all.

Specifically.. the safeties are squared up to the LOS in both cases... no way they're flipping hips and catching Cooks in either case.

I hear what you’re saying, but it still comes down to what was the McVay/Goff mindset based on what they expected from the Pats D.

It wasn’t the same mindset as the Vikings game.

by max
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:And... wasn't that the point of the interview and article? That McVay didn't have them ready to attack that look?

That’s fair. He didn’t.

The question is how much did that contribute to the failure of that play. Maybe most of it, but the OL was also a significant failure.

And how much should be put on Goff? Probably a lot less than what he got blamed for.

by max
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I disagree with the Oline failure *on that play*.

I'm not the person to hand out specific blame on this, I'm not in the room. McVay says it's on him and I'm sure Goff would say he should've seen it. To me.. as a fan, that's what I want to hear and is the only thing really important to me. Guys being accountable.. understanding their issues and working to overcome them.

Agree that I want my HC and QB to take total ownership when stuff fails, but we don’t know how that play would have gone if Goff had extra time. The pressure from Wise was ridiculous.

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38885  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

The plot thickens: King was probably hammering so hard on that one play because, in part, the NFL was gonna use it to hock GamePass...

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:The plot thickens: King was probably hammering so hard on that one play because, in part, the NFL was gonna use it to hock GamePass...

the screen grab king used to make his point (first jpeg below) wasn't fair imo, it implies that goff had cooks open at that moment but failed to pull the trigger... but at that point in the screen grab goff actually tried to step up to make the throw to cooks but there was too much pressure, especially from the right, which forced him to step left, so he pulled it down and threw it away to woods, had he let it fly at the 2.7 mark he would have had time, and room in front, but i don't think he liked what he saw (mccourty) at that point :

06.jpg

time lapse:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

by max
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:The plot thickens: King was probably hammering so hard on that one play because, in part, the NFL was gonna use it to hock GamePass...

I posted that earlier in this thread.

by moklerman
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

When looking at the screen caps, all I can think of is "if you're even, he's leavin'". Cooks was blowing past the guy in the middle and had inside leverage against the defender to the outside. In retrospect, it seems like a perfect shot to take.

by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:When looking at the screen caps, all I can think of is "if you're even, he's leavin'". Cooks was blowing past the guy in the middle and had inside leverage against the defender to the outside. In retrospect, it seems like a perfect shot to take.

Damn straight.

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9707  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:When looking at the screen caps, all I can think of is "if you're even, he's leavin'". Cooks was blowing past the guy in the middle and had inside leverage against the defender to the outside. In retrospect, it seems like a perfect shot to take.

Yeah, if Goff leads him either Cooks outruns everybody to the ball or it falls incomplete. Question is, what would the defense do if they took that shot and came close? Would that have changed their approach knowing they're taking deep shots against that coverage?

• 7 / 8
71 posts Jun 17 2024