71 posts
  • 6 / 8
 by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5591  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

The all22 pic that King uses misrepresents the total play. Looks like Goff has all day. King said 3.75 seconds before he was pressured.

by max
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I’m honesty confused by this.

To clarify.. you don’t think 3.75 seconds is, “all day”?
Or you think he had more than that?

I think Goff was looking to go to Cooks but got pressure in his face before he could make the throw. IMO, the major issue was Sullivan and Blythe getting man handled by the Pats upfront.

There were 3 major issues for the Rams offense in this game, beyond the obvious ones of no Kupp and a subpar Gurley.

1. Interior OL got schooled (this was the biggest problem)
2. McVay was out coached
3. Goff wasn’t ready to handle the pressure of the magnitude of the game under the conditions of 1 and 2.

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6803  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:3. Goff wasn’t ready to handle the pressure of the magnitude of the game under the conditions of 1 and 2.

This off-season they worked on adjusting to situations where the post-snap look is not what you expected.

I'm not sure most good third year qbs ARE that far along. Even when young, guys like Wilson and Mahomes could/can improvise under those conditions. Goff can improvise a little but he is not in their class as a top improviser.

He needs a system level attention to how to handle all that. The kind of thing a Brees or a Brady can do automatically now, though they weren't there in their respective 3rd years either.

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

using a stop watch 3.75 ticks is indeed a long time, plenty of time, for a qb to make a throw, but it's a bit more complicated than that when the bullets are flying imo... the key to the play was the safety (mccourty), he did a great job not committing early, had he made it clear that he was dropping deep to help out with cooks, goff would have gone to his second read, woods crossing underneath, had the safety (mcourty) jumped woods' crossing route early, bitten, which i think the rams were hoping for, goff would have thrown it deep to cooks, his first read... by the time mccourty jumped woods, goff had run out of time to throw deep, he could no longer step up to make the throw because of pressure in front of him.

firefox_2019-08-27_10-00-34.jpg

by max
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I’m not trying to argue any of those points.
3.75 seconds is a long, long time in the NFL.

Yeah, on the surface its very long. But you gotta look at the play. Was it from a shot gun or play action, was it slow developing or quick hitter, where did the pressure come from?

I watched the play over and over and it appeared to me that Goff needed to unload that ball immediately and trust that the coverage was exactly what he thought it was pre-snap.

Heres more from King on the play...

by max
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:using a stop watch 3.75 ticks is indeed a long time, plenty of time, for a qb to make a throw, but it's a bit more complicated than that when the bullets are flying imo... the key to the play was the safety (mccourty), he did a great job not committing early, had he made it clear that he was dropping deep to help out with cooks, goff would have gone to his second read, woods crossing underneath, had the safety (mcourty) jumped woods' crossing route early, bitten, which i think the rams were hoping for, goff would have thrown it deep to cooks, his first read... by the time mccourty jumped woods, goff had run out of time to throw deep, he could no longer step up to make the throw because of pressure in front of him.

firefox_2019-08-27_10-00-34.jpg

Yup. Lots of nuances to that play.

Boy, Shelton owned Sullivan. And how did Wise (#91) beat a double team? Its crazy how Belichick gets his defense to play out of their minds in big games.

by Indrid Cold
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   868  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:Couldn't disagree with the guys shooting down King more. Cooks is Even with the Vikings deep guy when Goff pulls the trigger... Cooks is *past* the deep guy when Goff still has time to fire.. but he doesn't.
There were all sorts of problems that day with the line.. but Goff had this play as an option.

Yup. I posted a screenshot on page 2 that shows that before this devolved in a debate on how to conduct an interview.

Problem was the 4 guys (!) blocking on the right side got beat by 2 rushers. 7-man protection got crushed by a 4-man rush.

by Indrid Cold
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   868  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:Sure.. it broke down.. but Sullivan was being pushed back toward Goff when he released against the Vikings.

I'm agreeing. There was a clean enough pocket when Cooks splits the defenders to make the throw. Goff actually starts to and then changes his mind.

by AltiTude Ram
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   2195  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Dick84 wrote:Sure.. it broke down.. but Sullivan was being pushed back toward Goff when he released against the Vikings.

No doubt the interior of the oline was a major issue in that game.

Some have suggested Gurley wasn't the same and I disagree. It takes all 11 to execute the plays and the defensive front of the Patriots out played our oline.

BTW this is the 2nd post you mentioned the Vikings.... I'm sure it's just a typo.

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

coverage comparison in the two games:

z01.jpg

vikings video:

patriots video:

• 6 / 8
71 posts Jun 17 2024