21 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12185  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Shoehei Ohtani, Glyber Torres or Miquel Andujar?

Ohtani has played in 89 games (80 as a hitter; 9 as a pitcher).
Glyber Torres has played in 98 games.
Miquel Andujar has played in 125 games.

Ohtani has scored 40 runs, 66 hits, 16 doubles, 15 HR, 43 Rbi, 28 BB, 77 K's; he's hitting .276 with a .357 OB% and is slugging .540.

Torres has scored 46 runs, has 97 hits, 12 doubles, 22 homers, 64 Rbi, 35 BB, 98 K's; he's hitting .282 with a .351 OB% and is slugging .515.

Andujar has scored 71 runs, has 143 hits, 37 doubles, 23 homers, 75 Rbi, 21 BB, 87 K's; he's hitting .297 with a .329 OB% and is slugging .526.

So who would get your vote?

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Ohtani is gonna get it which will frustrate Yankee fans.
Torres and Andujar cancel each other out.
Ohtani won the award after his 5th start.
My vote? Well last week would have been Andujar, but this week is Torres. And I don’t see that changing. He’s had all the pressure of being a top prospect, then fighting thru an injury/slump and changing position mid season.
It’s no knock on Andujar because he’s amazing. Torres has just been an all around better player.
And still, Ohtani will win....

by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Ohtani is gonna get it which will frustrate Yankee fans.
Torres and Andujar cancel each other out.
Ohtani won the award after his 5th start.
My vote? Well last week would have been Andujar, but this week is Torres. And I don’t see that changing. He’s had all the pressure of being a top prospect, then fighting thru an injury/slump and changing position mid season.
It’s no knock on Andujar because he’s amazing. Torres has just been an all around better player.
And still, Ohtani will win....

Yeah, that's a load of bullshit if it happens. All these "experts" point to Ohtani as a pitcher but he's made just 9 starts. He hasn't pitched since June 6th and hasn't pitched 6 innings or more since May 20th. That's a freaking lifetime!!! IMHO, had he pitched all year and hitters had more tape on him, he wouldn't be nearly as good as his numbers suggest.

Andujar is the ROY, IMHO. I understand the media darling in Ohtani. I understand your comments on Torres and I agree with them. But Andujar has been in the lineup all season. He's hitting .297 with 23 HRs and 74 Rbi. I don't care about "pressure" of being a highly ranked prospect or the two way player (which won't freaking last anyway). All I care about is the kid has done it all year......impressively.....consistently.

He's 8th in MLB with 37 doubles, 12th in MLB in multi-hit games with 44. The kid has done everything asked of him offensively (he and Stanton have basically carried the team while Judge, Sanchez and Didi were injured), and hasn't really had a bad slump. From June 13th through June 18th he was 2 of 23. The rest of the month he went 22 for 68 (.323). As a result he hit .264 on the month. The other 4 months? .289, .287, .330 and .320.

ROY!!!!!!

I do agree with you though...….he'll get screwed.

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Yeah, that's a load of bullshit if it happens. All these "experts" point to Ohtani as a pitcher but he's made just 9 starts. He hasn't pitched since June 6th and hasn't pitched 6 innings or more since May 20th. That's a freaking lifetime!!! IMHO, had he pitched all year and hitters had more tape on him, he wouldn't be nearly as good as his numbers suggest.

Andujar is the ROY, IMHO. I understand the media darling in Ohtani. I understand your comments on Torres and I agree with them. But Andujar has been in the lineup all season. He's hitting .297 with 23 HRs and 74 Rbi. I don't care about "pressure" of being a highly ranked prospect or the two way player (which won't freaking last anyway). All I care about is the kid has done it all year......impressively.....consistently.

He's 8th in MLB with 37 doubles, 12th in MLB in multi-hit games with 44. The kid has done everything asked of him offensively (he and Stanton have basically carried the team while Judge, Sanchez and Didi were injured), and hasn't really had a bad slump. From June 13th through June 18th he was 2 of 23. The rest of the month he went 22 for 68 (.323). As a result he hit .264 on the month. The other 4 months? .289, .287, .330 and .320.

ROY!!!!!!

I do agree with you though...….he'll get screwed.

Say what you want about Ohtani, but what he’s done is historically amazing. “He only started 9 games” is funny.
He isn’t a fluke on the mound or at the plate. He’s literally doing something that hasn’t been done in 100 years.
And... Ohtani is back on the mound tonight. If he holds up he may get another 4-5 starts. If he pitches like he did earlier this year and finishes the year with 20hr, he’ll be a unanimous ROY

As for the Torres/Andujar debate, they are seemingly tied offensively, Torres carried the team early while Andujar has carried them late. But to me the tie breaker is defense. Torres is an exceptional fielder who has made some mental errors, but is a far superior defensive player to Andujar who is the worst defensive 3B in the game.

by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Say what you want about Ohtani, but what he’s done is historically amazing. “He only started 9 games” is funny.
He isn’t a fluke on the mound or at the plate. He’s literally doing something that hasn’t been done in 100 years.

Yes, it's a freak show. The Big Top. But it can't possibly go on, long term. Can it? I mean why hasn't anybody done it since Babe Ruth? Because it's unsustainable. Unless your aim is simply to put butts in the seats. Hell they made Ruth focus on hitting only. So we're to think Ohtani is the best all around ballplayer since Babe Ruth (really what is being said is he's actually better)? I'm not buying either of those. He can do both...hitting and pitching....but he doesn't stand out in either facet (and he won't as long as he does both). It's just a temporary freak show. If he gets ROY for that so be it. I'll take the 102-104 wins.

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Yes, it's a freak show. The Big Top. But it can't possibly go on, long term. Can it? I mean why hasn't anybody done it since Babe Ruth? Because it's unsustainable. Unless your aim is simply to put butts in the seats. Hell they made Ruth focus on hitting only. So we're to think Ohtani is the best all around ballplayer since Babe Ruth (really what is being said is he's actually better)? I'm not buying either of those. He can do both...hitting and pitching....but he doesn't stand out in either facet (and he won't as long as he does both). It's just a temporary freak show. If he gets ROY for that so be it. I'll take the 102-104 wins.

If you can’t respect what the man is doing then I don’t know what to say. I love the Yankees but I love the game of baseball and can appreciate the wonders of this guy.
Heck, the Yankees wanted him badly, and if he did the same thing for us as he did them, your tune would be totally different.
I’d be impressed with a 24 year old rookie who was 4-1 with 61 k in 49 innings, and a 3.1 era. And I’d also be impressed with a 24 rookie who has 15 Hr in 240 at bats with a .900 OPS.
The fact it’s the same guy in the same season is historically amazing. To say the only other person to have success like this is Babe Ruth? Wow.
He does both things well.

by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:If you can’t respect what the man is doing then I don’t know what to say. I love the Yankees but I love the game of baseball and can appreciate the wonders of this guy.
Heck, the Yankees wanted him badly, and if he did the same thing for us as he did them, your tune would be totally different.
I’d be impressed with a 24 year old rookie who was 4-1 with 61 k in 49 innings, and a 3.1 era. And I’d also be impressed with a 24 rookie who has 15 Hr in 240 at bats with a .900 OPS.
The fact it’s the same guy in the same season is historically amazing. To say the only other person to have success like this is Babe Ruth? Wow.
He does both things well.

Oh, I'm impressed to some degree. Nobody has done it since Babe Ruth. But nobody, including Ohtani, will do it for any length of time. It's too hard. Point in fact he hasn't pitched since early June. He's hitting .276 thanks to a terrific August.....in which he didn't step on the mound unless it was on his way on or off the field. He was hitting a whopping .258 before August. Now they're gonna start pitching him again.

Hey, he's pitching right now on ESPN!!!!

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Oh, I'm impressed to some degree. Nobody has done it since Babe Ruth. But nobody, including Ohtani, will do it for any length of time. It's too hard. Point in fact he hasn't pitched since early June. He's hitting .276 thanks to a terrific August.....in which he didn't step on the mound unless it was on his way on or off the field. He was hitting a whopping .258 before August. Now they're gonna start pitching him again.

Hey, he's pitching right now on ESPN!!!!

He was pitching great and hitting great at the same time. He was batting .290-.300 until he went on the DL. Yes when he returned from the DL he slumped, but the dude was batting with an injured arm.
Again, if he’s a Yankee your opinion would be totally different.
He’s great both ways and I don’t know which way he goes if he has to choose one.
Who cares how long he plays both ways? The point is that he’s doing it now and it’s a historic event.
Deserved of ROY for sure.

by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:He was pitching great and hitting great at the same time. He was batting .290-.300 until he went on the DL. Yes when he returned from the DL he slumped, but the dude was batting with an injured arm. Who cares how long he plays both ways? The point is that he’s doing it now and it’s a historic event.

Why was he playing (hitting) with an injured arm? I find that hard to believe. They let him play injured? Well how long he does it determines how long he's historic! Otherwise, it's just a one year dog and pony show.

dieterbrock wrote:Deserved of ROY for sure.

In the conversation. Deserved? Not missing so much time as both a DH and pitcher. Having his pitch count limited to 49/50 isn't really exciting for me. But he'll probably get it because of the entertainment value, however short lived that'll be.

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Why was he playing (hitting) with an injured arm? I find that hard to believe. They let him play injured? Well how long he does it determines how long he's historic! Otherwise, it's just a one year dog and pony show.

In the conversation. Deserved? Not missing so much time as both a DH and pitcher. Having his pitch count limited to 49/50 isn't really exciting for me. But he'll probably get it because of the entertainment value, however short lived that'll be.

His pitching arm was injured. That’s why he wasn’t pitching. Still only has 2 arms. So yes, he played with an injured arm.
He’s deserved of the the award, so is Torres and so is a Andujar.
Only 1 will win it but they are all deserved of the award.
And who cares how long he does this for? What does that have to do with this year? It’s rookie of the year not rookie for the next 5 years

• 1 / 3
21 posts Mar 28 2024