15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by moklerman
9 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Wow! This dude looks GREAT and he's a true freshman. The Bruins may be primed for some serious National Title contention in the next couple of years.

by TSFH Fan
9 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   699  
United States of America   The OC
Veteran

Brett who?

Edit: Or is it Brett Hu . . .?
On the introduce yourself page on ROD from last December, I included the phrase "pro Josh Rosen (too early?)"

Why Josh Rosen's UCLA debut felt like Jameis Winston's first-ever start
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -his-debut

I figured it out. I know why Jim Mora was yelling at Josh Rosen in front of all those media members a few weeks ago.

He was just trying to keep the kid humble because Rosen just might be very good.

Now, it's only one game, and things are not going to be smooth all season long, but our first look at UCLA freshman Josh Rosen was an impressive one. Rosen looked every bit the five-star recruit in his debut against Virginia.

Rosen completed 28 of his 35 passes for 351 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions in the No. 13 Bruins' 34-16 win.

But while the numbers themselves were impressive, you had to see Rosen with your own eyes to truly appreciate what he did. It's not just that he makes the throws, it's the throws that he makes. When he needed to show touch, he showed touch. When he had to fire a rocket to squeeze the ball between defenders, he launched the ball with accuracy. He seemed to have complete command of the offense, which is remarkable for somebody who was in high school a year ago.

Simply put, it was the most impressed I've been by a freshman quarterback in his debut since Jameis Winston tore apart the Pitt defense in 2013 before winning a Heisman Trophy and a national title. Of course, Winston also had the benefit of redshirting a season before making his debut.

None of this is to say that Rosen is winning a Heisman Trophy, or that UCLA is en route to the College Football Playoff. Rosen is still a true freshman. He's going to make mistakes this year, and odds are good he's going to make a big mistake at the exact wrong time. That's just par for the course when you're dealing with a freshman at the most important position on the field.

But make no mistake, he is a very good quarterback, and he's going to be a handful for Pac-12 defenses to deal with for at least three seasons.

Josh Rosen has lived up to the hype through one start at least. (USATSI)

by Elvis
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   39466  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I'm a pretty much a fair weather UCLA fan but gotta say, the weather is getting pretty nice...

by moklerman
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

Well, Rosen didn't look like the Golden Boy this week. Didn't play horribly but certainly came back down to Earth. Good for a true freshman still but not nearly as advanced as I thought after his first game.

by TSFH Fan
8 years 11 months ago
Veteran

Down game for Rosen. But, as one of the post game announcers pointed out, there were a lot of down performances and games this week -- like Auburn, ASU (struggled against Cal F-ing Poly, for those that didn't notice), Arkansas, Notre Dame . . . almost like week 2 was a letdown game for a lot of teams after months of preparing for the opener or something.

Well, yeah I woulda hoped that Rosen was up for beating UNLV's current coach, who Rosen lost to last year, but w/e.
BYU next. Let's see how Rosen does against older competition.

by moklerman
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

It's only the first half right now but the bloom is off the Rosen. I was really impressed by him early but I was fooled. Badly. He looks terrible and every bit the inexperienced true Freshman. What a disappointment.

by bluecoconuts
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   273  
Ireland   LA Coliseum
Rookie

What a finish by UCLA though!

by TSFH Fan
8 years 11 months ago
Veteran

Wow, yikes . . . regression to the mean, I guess. True Freshman . . . .
Two of those interceptions were of the Brett-Farve-why-do-you-even-ponder-passing variety of interception.
Next week on the road in friendly AZ, I can hear the chants already, "Ro-sen, Ro-sen, Ro-sen", or a colorful variation thereof.
Let's see what the kid's made of.

But he was clutch with those handoffs in the fourth quarter. Yeah!!

by Elvis
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   39466  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

That's the first game i've really watched, not thinking Heisman for Rosen but man, what a finish...

by Hacksaw_64
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2686  
United States of America   Inglewood, CA

The kids going to take his lumps, no doubt. He did make a money TD pass when when it mattered. Watch him play he's got ice water in his veins. I'd much rather have Rosen over Kessler. He would be killing it that Trojan offense. I can't wait till Kessler graduates... I won't go there now.

Fight on

• 1 / 2
15 posts Sep 07 2024