403 posts
  • 5 / 41
 by Hacksaw
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Actually he's a PG and that's what confused me. Clarkson is just coming on.
I have to say that the game has changed, especially in the West and guys like Curry, Harden, Paul who are the guys to beat now. I can see why they took him but as I said earlier quoting Chick, you can't coach height. Okafor might turn out to be 'it' but I have to trust the Lakers brass didn't feel he was dominating enough at his position and / or he didn't fit the game the Lakers are planning to run with. And the Lakers do know their bigs.
I truly believe that the Lakers are going to be players in free agency and will address the 5 that way. No way you go to battle with Robert Sacre and Hill as you best 2 bigs.

by TSFH Fan
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   699  
United States of America   The OC
Veteran

Bold move with the D'Angelo pick. I like it.

JO has that 50 free throw percentage and big guys don't seem to get better at FTs in the league.

People talk about it being a small ball era and such. I don't know about that, but it definitely seems to be the "hack a ________ " era.

by Rams Dominate
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   240  
Ireland   Monterey Peninsula
Rookie

Yeah, Okafor is another Shaq clone for free throws, he can't make them...Comment on the above post...
OK, watched the NBA draft until the Lakers picked #34 & took Stanford small forward Anthony Brown, 6'6", decent player...
I was so stuck on the Lakers drafting Okafor I just ignored everyone else AND now I'm reading that many pundits think D'Angelo Russell #2 overall is the best player in this draft & having come out of college as a freshman he hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of what many believe is ahead for this guy & is a sure fire star in the making...Their 2nd 1st round pick was Larry Nance Jr., #27 overall, 6' 9" Power Forward from Wyoming, recognize the name? He's the son of the 1st winner of the slam dunk contest in the All-Star game, Larry Nance Sr., Jr was the Mountain West Defensive Player of the year & has a pretty good inside game...That's picks #2 #27 & #34 for the Lakers...

There's speculation that the Lakers will make a run at Kevin Love, free agent or LaMarcus Aldridge, free agent, one or both, fine with me, kinda hope its Aldridge, he's the Trailblazers center & pretty good imo...Love just wants out of Cleveland & played center at UCLA & would work for the Lakers in this new smaller center era, Dave Cowans was a smaller type too (old Celtics, remember him guys?)... Love is a heckuva rebounder & can shoot the 3, hmm, maybe Kevin Love, great passer also...I don't get a vote so I'll wait & see... :mrgreen:

by snackdaddy
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   9707  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

This pick is an indication they think they can land one of the bigs in free agency. I would rather have Aldridge over Love. I hear Clarkson's natural position is shooting guard. That could keep Kobe where he's best at small forward. I can see a starting lineup with Russell/Clarkson/Kobe/Randle/Aldridge. That could contend for a playoff spot. Maybe not a deep playoff team but it would be better than they've been the last couple years.

I think the pick was a combination of Russell being a possible superstar one day and Okafor having questionable conditioning. I think it came down to too many questions about Okafor. He might 10 year starter in this league, but Russell's ceiling is higher. He might be the heir apparent to Kobe as far as leading this team for years to come.

by Rams Dominate
8 years 11 months ago
Rookie

I've watched the Lakers channel most of the day & I think you've nailed it SD, altho initially I was as you are, hoping for Aldridge...Love/Aldridge is one of the scenarios explored today on the Lakers channel, I was surprised at the love they're giving Julius Randle & what they expect from him as a Laker, they're saying that the way Randle is presently playing & showing they think Love would be a great addition as well, he's a heckuva scorer, passer & rebounder & with Randles size, scoring ability & defense they don't need a big center with those 2 guys under the basket, Love & Randle & the Lakers might be a more potent scoring machine with firepower coming from all 5 players... I was also surprised at the lack of love given Okafor, they were saying he'll be a good player but never a great one & they say Russell is special & WILL be a star...I grew up watching Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem, Shaq etc. the Lakers have always had big, potent bigs, its hard for me to imagine the Lakers without one but the drafting of Russell might be an indication they're gonna change things up...I remember once when West was the GM of the Lakers, I forget how this came up but JW said his perfect team would all be 6' 9"...Wouldn't it be great if the Lakers got both Love & Aldridge? I'm also thinking they'll start phasing Kobe out & I also think this year will be his swan song, an Achilles is a devastating injury & bb players age fast, Kobes what 36 & climbing? Love to see him take Russell under his wing & make him a project, sorta like Kareem TRIED to do with Bynum till Bynum thought Kareem had no more to teach him, what an idiot...
Don't forget the Cousins trade talk from the Kings, he'd be nice but at what price?

by snackdaddy
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

Bottom line is, with the number two pick you have a chance to pick a superstar. While Okafor might be a solid 10 year starter, they don't believe he's superstar material. Russell is the guy who has the most potential. I'll admit, its a gamble. Okafor mighta been a safer pick. But if Russell turns out to be all that, then it was a great decision.

In the NBA you need a superstar to have a chance. Lebron took a marginal Cavs team to the finals. If Russell and Randle can eventually turn out to be stars, they have a chance to be relevant again.

As far as Cousins is concerned, I heard they wanted that number two pick. The asking price was too much. Cousins is good but no superstar. And they could get Adridge and/or Love without giving up an asset. I'm curious to see how free agency shakes out to be. Doesn't it begin Wednesday? I also heard they might offer Marc Gasol a max contract immediately after it begins. That would be intriguing. He's a solid center.

by Hacksaw
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The freakin Queens wanted Randall, Clarkson and the #2. DMC isn't worth that.
Aldridge is 30 and his best days are coming to an end. I'd go for KLove but my concern is we don't have a decent rim protector. Just like football is won in the trenches, BB is won playing solid defense (except in 2014 -2015).
Jordan is another guy who can't buy a free throw but dude is a human flyswatter.

by snackdaddy
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:The freakin Queens wanted Randall, Clarkson and the #2. DMC isn't worth that.
Aldridge is 30 and his best days are coming to an end. I'd go for KLove but my concern is we don't have a decent rim protector. Just like football is won in the trenches, BB is won playing solid defense (except in 2014 -2015).
Jordan is another guy who can't buy a free throw but dude is a human flyswatter.

Actually, if I had my choice of the available big men I would go with Jordan. He's a solid rim protector and very good rebounder.

Yeah, you gotta watch out for hack-a-Jordan with the poor free throw shooting, but his other talents are solid. But I didn't mention him because I don't believe we have a shot at him. Everything I read and heard says he's staying with the Clippers. Same with Marc Gasol staying with the Grizzlies.

But you gotta at least try and get one of those big men after passing on Okafor. I'd go hard after Aldridge or Love or both. If the money's there make an offer to both. I don't want to end up with lesser big men like we did back in the days of Kwame Brown and Chris Mims.

I'm not sure how much they can spend, but one of those big guys would be imperative if they wanna be a playoff team. As far as guys they had this past season I would only be interested in bringing back Jordan Hill and Wesley Johnson. I like Johnson. He's athletic, can run the floor and has a good wingspan for his size. But he's more suited for coming off the bench than starting. Hill brings a lot of energy coming off the bench. I'd love to see him back to coming off the bench rather than starting.

Of course I didn't mention Clarkson and Randle as I know those guys are staying and part of the future. I think they need some quality bench guys if things go right in free agency and they land Aldridge or Love. Johnson and Hill can provide some of that bench strength. Jimmy Butler is intriguing but is there enough money available for him? And would Chicago match the offer?

by Rams Dominate
8 years 11 months ago
Rookie

snackdaddy wrote:Bottom line is, with the number two pick you have a chance to pick a superstar. While Okafor might be a solid 10 year starter, they don't believe he's superstar material. Russell is the guy who has the most potential. I'll admit, its a gamble. Okafor mighta been a safer pick. But if Russell turns out to be all that, then it was a great decision.

In the NBA you need a superstar to have a chance. Lebron took a marginal Cavs team to the finals. If Russell and Randle can eventually turn out to be stars, they have a chance to be relevant again.

As far as Cousins is concerned, I heard they wanted that number two pick. The asking price was too much. Cousins is good but no superstar. And they could get Adridge and/or Love without giving up an asset. I'm curious to see how free agency shakes out to be. Doesn't it begin Wednesday? I also heard they might offer Marc Gasol a max contract immediately after it begins. That would be intriguing. He's a solid center.

Interesting you mention Marc Gasol SD, Worthy & another guy were talking about Cousins, they were both saying that right now they think Marc Gasol is the best center in the league but also said Cousins is #2...Strange how that worked out because Marc Gasol belonged to the Lakers at one time. Haven't heard any Marc Gasol noise going to the Lakers but I'd love it, altho I'd much rather see Love & Aldridge in purple & gold, 2 works better than 1 for me... Kupchak says the Lakers have the money to be serious players in free agency...
I'm not sure when free agency starts though...

• 5 / 41
403 posts Jun 17 2024