21 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12181  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:His pitching arm was injured. That’s why he wasn’t pitching.

He strained his ulnar collateral and he was put on the DL for what they expected to be about a month. He was on the DL from June 5th through July 1st, a day shy of 4 weeks. He came back and was cleared to swing/hit but not pitch. Not surprising. Smart of the Angels not to risk tearing the ligament any more. But to give him an "excuse" for a bad month by saying "his arm was injured" is weak. More realistically, it took him a month to get his timing back at the plate.

The thing for me with the D & P Show is he's not like Babe Ruth. He doesn't play a position. He's a pitcher, who can hit well. It's not like he pitches one day and throws guys out on the bases from right field for the next four. Is he deserving of the ROY? He's part of the conversation but he's been on the bench or DL for 47 of the Angels 137 games (34%). Torres could have a great September and win it over Andujar but if they stay kinda of even, I'd give the nod to the guy who's been there all season. He has been a MAJOR factor in where the Yankees are in the standings, particularly with the injuries to Judge, Sanchez, Didi and Torres. He's got all the requisite numbers..... .300 hitter, 23 HRs, 76 Rbi, 74 Runs.....plays every day, etc. etc.

Ohtani? Great story. Great international publicity. He's pitched 7% of the Angels games and at the rate they're allowing him to throw right now, he ought to be up to 5 IP by the end of September. So what kind of impact does he have on the mound in a game like the one last night? 2 and 1/3 IP, 49 pitches, gave up 2 runs, took the loss. Expect more of the same the rest of the way. Sure the Angels would love for him to be ROY....great for ticket sales. The media hacks would love it also. Great for writing fluff stories. Should he win it? Not really.

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:He strained his ulnar collateral and he was put on the DL for what they expected to be about a month. He was on the DL from June 5th through July 1st, a day shy of 4 weeks. He came back and was cleared to swing/hit but not pitch. Not surprising. Smart of the Angels not to risk tearing the ligament any more. But to give him an "excuse" for a bad month by saying "his arm was injured" is weak. More realistically, it took him a month to get his timing back at the plate.

The thing for me with the D & P Show is he's not like Babe Ruth. He doesn't play a position. He's a pitcher, who can hit well. It's not like he pitches one day and throws guys out on the bases from right field for the next four. Is he deserving of the ROY? He's part of the conversation but he's been on the bench or DL for 47 of the Angels 137 games (34%). Torres could have a great September and win it over Andujar but if they stay kinda of even, I'd give the nod to the guy who's been there all season. He has been a MAJOR factor in where the Yankees are in the standings, particularly with the injuries to Judge, Sanchez, Didi and Torres. He's got all the requisite numbers..... .300 hitter, 23 HRs, 76 Rbi, 74 Runs.....plays every day, etc. etc.

Ohtani? Great story. Great international publicity. He's pitched 7% of the Angels games and at the rate they're allowing him to throw right now, he ought to be up to 5 IP by the end of September. So what kind of impact does he have on the mound in a game like the one last night? 2 and 1/3 IP, 49 pitches, gave up 2 runs, took the loss. Expect more of the same the rest of the way. Sure the Angels would love for him to be ROY....great for ticket sales. The media hacks would love it also. Great for writing fluff stories. Should he win it? Not really.

Sad that you are missing the boat here.
Again, if he’s a Yankee you’re not saying anything of the like.
Oh well, moving on

by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Sad that you are missing the boat here.
Again, if he’s a Yankee you’re not saying anything of the like.

No, not missing the boat. "Historical" that he both pitches and hits.....part time. Impressed that he can throw 99 MPH and hit exit velos of 100+ from the dish. Had he played ALL YEAR, I'd be right there discussing his merits for ROY. But he hasn't played all year. If he were a Yankee, I'd be disappointed he injured his pitching arm half way through his first season. Not too surprising since his resume lists a total of 500 professional IP prior to MLB.

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:No, not missing the boat. "Historical" that he both pitches and hits.....part time. Impressed that he can throw 99 MPH and hit exit velos of 100+ from the dish. Had he played ALL YEAR, I'd be right there discussing his merits for ROY. But he hasn't played all year. If he were a Yankee, I'd be disappointed he injured his pitching arm half way through his first season. Not too surprising since his resume lists a total of 500 professional IP prior to MLB.

That’s what I mean about missing the boat. He’s not part time. He got injured. He missed time due to injury.
It’s Bo Jackson playing 2 sports IMO.
And if he’s wearing pinstripes he’d be the talk of baseball.
Side note, the Yankees were all in on him and lost. But their desire to have a 2 way interest was part of their decision to draft Anthony Seigler C/pitcher

by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:That’s what I mean about missing the boat. He’s not part time. He got injured. He missed time due to injury.
It’s Bo Jackson playing 2 sports IMO.
And if he’s wearing pinstripes he’d be the talk of baseball.
Side note, the Yankees were all in on him and lost. But their desire to have a 2 way interest was part of their decision to draft Anthony Seigler C/pitcher

WTF does the Yankees being "all in on him" have to do with the discussion? Because I'm a Yankee fan? Because you're a Yankee fan? So what?

He IS part time!!! Take a look at his game log for pitching. He's pitched on 6 days rest, 8, 6, 11, 6, 6, 9 and 6. That certainly doesn't look like every fifth day to me. His game log for batting shows he doesn't play the day before or day after he pitches. At least in the beginning. That held true through April and then in May (6th on) they were playing him the day after he pitched and ironically, surprise, surprise, he hurt his arm. Too much? While it's nice to be Jack Armstrong and play the 4 days you don't pitch (which he doesn't anyway), it's obviously too much? Otherwise, he wouldn't be the first one in 100 years.

And if it is too much, it takes on the feel of a dog and pony show. I hope the kid has good advisors who advise him to choose one or the other. Probably make his career much longer.

ROY? I'll pass.

And BTW, comparing him to Bo Jackson playing two sports is waaaaay off. It's not even close. He's not yet playing one sport full time.

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:WTF does the Yankees being "all in on him" have to do with the discussion? Because I'm a Yankee fan? Because you're a Yankee fan? So what?

He IS part time!!! Take a look at his game log for pitching. He's pitched on 6 days rest, 8, 6, 11, 6, 6, 9 and 6. That certainly doesn't look like every fifth day to me. His game log for batting shows he doesn't play the day before or day after he pitches. At least in the beginning. That held true through April and then in May (6th on) they were playing him the day after he pitched and ironically, surprise, surprise, he hurt his arm. Too much? While it's nice to be Jack Armstrong and play the 4 days you don't pitch (which he doesn't anyway), it's obviously too much? Otherwise, he wouldn't be the first one in 100 years.

And if it is too much, it takes on the feel of a dog and pony show. I hope the kid has good advisors who advise him to choose one or the other. Probably make his career much longer.

ROY? I'll pass.

And BTW, comparing him to Bo Jackson playing two sports is waaaaay off. It's not even close. He's not yet playing one sport full time.

Wow. Just wow.
Talk about not seeing the forest thru the trees. He’s not part time. He’s a full time DH and a starter who was on an innings limit.
Jeesh I guess Aaron Judge is a part time player now too since he hasn’t played in over a month. :roll2:

by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Wow. Just wow.
Talk about not seeing the forest thru the trees. He’s not part time. He’s a full time DH and a starter who was on an innings limit.
Jeesh I guess Aaron Judge is a part time player now too since he hasn’t played in over a month. :roll2:

No you're right. He's phenominal. Unbelievable. A once in 100 years baseball player. I mean look at his numbers!!!

He's pitched an unbelievable 51.2 IP with a 3.31 ERA. He throws so hard he needs at least 6 days between starts, sometimes 8, 9 or 11 days. And then he's gotta rest the day before his starts and the day after just to cool down.

If he gets a little hot in September, we're talking close to triple crown numbers; projected of course. That .276 average of his is downright scary. Not to mention those 3 or 4 innings he throws in his starts, 5 on a good night!!!

Sure you can point to his injury and say he would have been even greater had he not got injured. But how did the one writer put it when addressing that elephant in the room????

'It brings to mind the line, "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" '

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Ohtani out for the season now, should be out of the running for ROY

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Ohtani out for the season now, should be out of the running for ROY

Lol. Actually that’s false.
He hit 2 HR last night.
Approaching.950 OPS
Crazy talented kid

by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Lol. Actually that’s false.
He hit 2 HR last night.
Approaching.950 OPS
Crazy talented kid

Yup and he's only 24. Sure hope he gives up pitching because he seems to be a very good hitter. The way I see it is he can continue being very good at both or great at one. Too bad on that injury.

• 2 / 3
21 posts Mar 28 2024