19 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

in the 2 games kupp missed (niners & packers), reynolds and gurley made up the targets - gurley's target rate jumped from a season average of 15.2% to 21.8% in those two games, while reynolds' rate jumped from 2.2% to 10.9%.

combined, gurley and reynolds hauled in 4 pass tds (2 each) in the 2 games kupp mised, which accounted for 4 of the 5 td passes goff threw for the 2-game stretch.

in all, reynolds caught 4 of 6 targets for a 67% catch rate, 2 tds, and booked a 10.9 yards per catch average - he was also targeted twice on 3rd downs during the 2-game stretch, and caught both passes for first downs, not too shabby at all.

------------------------

kupp will obviously be missed, the guy is an absolute stud, but i don't think he's the irreplaceable cog that more than a few of talking heads i've listened to this week have made him out to be, nor do i think he's the security blanket, the go-to guy, goff depends on as much as the talking heads would like you to believe.

looking at the 8 games kupp started, he ranked behind woods and cooks in targets, and he also also ranked behind woods and cooks in 3rd down targets.

one of my biggest concerns re the loss of kupp was how much the rams have depended on the same 3 wide receivers, i.e. other rams wide receivers just haven't seen the field, haven't seen snaps, coupled with the fact that the rams throw so much to these 3 guys... all told, woods, cooks and kupp accounted for a whopping 93% of all wide receiver targets in the games kupp started - without doing a bit of research, my guess is no other team comes close to committing such a large % of wide receiver targets to the same 3 guys.

anyway, the good news is, it seems that the rams just might have the right guy in reynolds in terms of filling in for kupp - he's done well in the limited chances he's had, well enough to continue ride with him over pharoh as far as i can tell.

VirtualBox_2018-11-15_12-10-52.png

by phoenixrising
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

I kind of agree, Kupp is not the standout WR. But none of them are. However the strength is in the combination of all three and what they uniquely bring to the game. None are easily replaced and that especially includes Kupp. What I think they will miss is his blocking (Reynolds has a long way to go in that regard), his size and ability to work underneath (though Woods proved versatile enough to fill-in) and YAC. But maybe the biggest thing is Kupp's ability to get open late in the play whether by design or after a break-down. And his knack of ad-libbing with Goff. I'm hoping they rely increasingly on Everett to take up some of the slack.

by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

phoenixrising wrote:I kind of agree, Kupp is not the standout WR. But none of them are. However the strength is in the combination of all three and what they uniquely bring to the game. None are easily replaced and that especially includes Kupp. What I think they will miss is his blocking (Reynolds has a long way to go in that regard), his size and ability to work underneath (though Woods proved versatile enough to fill-in) and YAC. But maybe the biggest thing is Kupp's ability to get open late in the play whether by design or after a break-down. And his knack of ad-libbing with Goff. I'm hoping they rely increasingly on Everett to take up some of the slack.

agree, all 3 work in tandem, resulting (arguably) in a sum greater than the parts... if you take out the the 3 games kupp missed all or a lot of the action, their targets work out to 55 woods, 53 cooks, 55 kupp, talk about evenly distributed...

everett only saw 2 targets in each of the games kupp missed, so it's kind of hard for me to see him becoming a 9-10+ target guy, but who knows... i'd really like to see reynolds (and his size) come on strong, and see the rams be able to continue with their unique 11 personnel system with the 3 wr seeing a lot of targets, as opposed to trying to switch gears and work a bunch of targets to the tight ends midway through the season... that said, whatever works, whatever keeps this offensive machine rolling, sign me up!

by RamsFanSince82
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

Speaking of Reynolds, he was just interviewed for "The Fair Game" tv show. Here's a few clips.

by snackdaddy
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Cooper was a pro bowl returner but his presence in the offense never moved the needle for me. I would consider him barely serviceable. I like Reynolds as the number 3 with Kupp out. I feel like with more reps Reynolds can be more than serviceable. I like his ability to win the 50/50 balls.

by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more onboard for Reynolds than Cooper to replace Kupp. He's grown. The route he ran for his second TD against GB was beautiful.

don't remember where i read/heard it, a talking heads outlet of some kind, but they were saying that the rams wanted to get pharoh back to cover for kupp because pharoh had experience from the slot, not sure where they got that nugget but it didn't make much sense to me... last year pc only saw 15 targets all year if you ignore the throw-away end-of-season game against the niners, i mean he's just about as green a wr as the rams have on the roster... and what about hodge, i know at least a few rams fans want to see him out there, but he's only seen 1 target all year... nick williams? is he still on the roster? seems that it's reynolds or bust as the 3rd wr, and it might get very shaky if anything happens to woods or cooks! :shock2:

by BobCarl
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:to replace Kupp

I don't think that Kupp can be replaced by anyone we have on the team. There's just more passes to spread around for the rest of the team.

by Kid Charlamagne
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   533  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

She quit Cowherd for that!!? At least she gets to talk I guess.

• 1 / 2
19 posts Mar 28 2024