18 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by max
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5579  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

What's important here is that what we call baiting, JB Long called the refs not protecting their stars.

He said things are being done to Donald that could get him seriously hurt and the refs are allowing it. So if the refs aren’t going to do anything then the Rams players are gonna take matters into their own hands.

He said that was part of the frustration with both Donald and Fowler.

As much as McVay was upset at how his team did things to beat themselves, I bet he’s not happy with the refs either. My bet is that the league office is being informed by the Rams about opposing players going after Donald. Imagine if someone hit Brady in the back out of bounds? So the question is how important is Aaron Donald to the NFL?

by /zn/
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:What's important here is that what we call baiting, JB Long called the refs not protecting their stars.

He said things are being done to Donald that could get him seriously hurt and the refs are allowing it. So if the refs aren’t going to do anything then the Rams players are gonna take matters into their own hands.

As much as McVay was upset at how his team did things to beat themselves, I bet he’s not happy with the refs either. My bet is that the league office is being informed by the Rams about opposing players going after Donald. Imagine if someone hit Brady in the back out of bounds? So the question is how important is Aaron Donald to the NFL?

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say there, but, another part of this is that the Rams were just not ready for that game and it showed in all the personal fouls. That wasn;t just AD (in fact his reaction during the game was at least understandable). This isn't criticism--they had big reasons to not be ready, and for not being ready, and in spite of the lapses, they held on and pulled out a win. Some have even said that it was a great moment for them (pulling out the win) and something to build on going forward in terms of team confidence and morale.

Donald can't react to that stuff. Players are less likely IMO to do that stuff to him to injure him, than just to bait him. And if AD wants to be seen as a target of unfair play, he doesn't help his cause by being the only player we can think of to put a helmet back on after a game and go after a player. (There may be others I don't remember but it ain't common.) I just think him doing that will stick in the minds of refs more than being held like it's a wrestling match.

What the Rams need on defense is other players taking advantage of the kind of attention AD draws.

by AvengerRam
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Just once, I'd like to see the refs call a couple of holding penalties on whomever is blocking Donald in the first quarter, forcing the opposition to try to deal with Donald within the rules. That would be fun to watch.

by max
5 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say there, but, another part of this is that the Rams were just not ready for that game and it showed in all the personal fouls. That wasn;t just AD (in fact his reaction during the game was at least understandable). This isn't criticism--they had big reasons to not be ready, and for not being ready, and in spite of the lapses, they held on and pulled out a win. Some have even said that it was a great moment for them (pulling out the win) and something to build on going forward in terms of team confidence and morale.

Donald can't react to that stuff. Players are less likely IMO to do that stuff to him to injure him, than just to bait him. And if AD wants to be seen as a target of unfair play, he doesn't help his cause by being the only player we can think of to put a helmet back on after a game and go after a player. (There may be others I don't remember but it ain't common.) I just think him doing that will stick in the minds of refs more than being held like it's a wrestling match.

What the Rams need on defense is other players taking advantage of the kind of attention AD draws.

I agree with everything you say except for one thing.

I don’t think it will hurt Donald more than it will help him that he confronted Britt in a noticeable manner. It will get the attention of the league office. My bet is that they are very interested in the well being of the best defensive player in their league. I highly doubt they want him injured or abused by either opposing players or their officials.

Sure, they will fine Donald, but that’s a given. More importantly will be the awareness of protecting him in the future. The league hurts itself if they allow guys to take cheap shots at Donald thinking it will get a response from him.

by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:What's important here is that what we call baiting, JB Long called the refs not protecting their stars.

not sure what jb is referring to, unless he felt donald was chop blocked on one particular play in the seahawks game, it looked like a chop block at first blush with no flags from the refs, but it clearly wasn't when watching the replays, a seattle blocker lost his footing while engaged with a rams defender, and ended up rolling into the back of donald's legs while donald was being double-teamed, it was a scary moment that donald, thankfully, survived... re the sideline cheap-shot, unfortunately that's nothing new, stuff like that has gone on since the beginning of the nfl, maybe you start ejecting players for this sort of thing?

anyway, i haven't seen "things being done to Donald that could get him seriously hurt", i mean nothing out of the ordinary, but what i have seen is an incredible tolerance when it comes to oline holding, it's out of hand, and not just against donald, it's across the board, olines are getting away with murder, including the rams oline, whitworth is a holding machine, hav isn't too far behind either, yet whit has been flagged just once for offensive holding this season while hav hasn't drawn any oh flags, it's flat-out crazy.

by 69RamFan
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   3164  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:not sure what jb is referring to, unless he felt donald was chop blocked on one particular play in the seahawks game, it looked like a chop block at first blush with no flags from the refs, but it clearly wasn't when watching the replays, a seattle blocker lost his footing while engaged with a rams defender, and ended up rolling into the back of donald's legs while donald was being double-teamed, it was a scary moment that donald, thankfully, survived... re the sideline cheap-shot, unfortunately that's nothing new, stuff like that has gone on since the beginning of the nfl, maybe you start ejecting players for this sort of thing?

anyway, i haven't seen "things being done to Donald that could get him seriously hurt", i mean nothing out of the ordinary, but what i have seen is an incredible tolerance when it comes to oline holding, it's out of hand, and not just against donald, it's across the board, olines are getting away with murder, including the rams oline, whitworth is a holding machine, hav isn't too far behind either, yet whit has been flagged just once for offensive holding this season while hav hasn't drawn any oh flags, it's flat-out crazy.

That's what I've been seeing too.....

The league/Ref are protecting the QB too much, so they are calling less holding penalties,,, IMO

So the Defense are getting upset because the Refs are not calling the game correctly....

So you have O-linemen saying to themselves.... they aren't calling it,,, so I'm gonna keep on doing it....

by phoenixrising
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

Not just protecting the QB, I think the NFL likes these 48-42 games. I saw Blythe too with his arm hooked around some guys neck that was by him. As long as your arms are in tight you get away with anything. And even if your arms are extended out to the side you're OK as long as you disengage quickly. That's just the way it's being called.

by max
5 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

Did anyone hear McVay today? He said things were going on against Donald by the Seahawks that he didn’t like. Implied that they were trying to injure Donald.

Then he said Donald got no fine for the game.

Very interesting to hear McVays tone.

If Donald did indeed not get fined, that speaks volumes.

by SWAdude
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I have never been one to believe the refs are subjective about the game........until this year.

It is crazy how often AD is held.

The NFL is a business. And if they let AD run, there is no competition.

He is that good.

Really frustrating.

by Elmgrovegnome
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   624  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

max wrote:I agree with everything you say except for one thing.

I don’t think it will hurt Donald more than it will help him that he confronted Britt in a noticeable manner. It will get the attention of the league office. My bet is that they are very interested in the well being of the best defensive player in their league. I highly doubt they want him injured or abused by either opposing players or their officials.

Sure, they will fine Donald, but that’s a given. More importantly will be the awareness of protecting him in the future. The league hurts itself if they allow guys to take cheap shots at Donald thinking it will get a response from him.

Maybe with cheap shots, but not with holding calls. Donald is a potential QB killer. Despite his ability to sack with flawless technique, so as not to injure the QB, he represents what the NFL fears the most.....QBs carted off the field and point totals going down.

I don't think Long was only talking about the cheap shot. Donald and his brethren have been abused all season. How many neck wraps did it take to injure Quinn's back? How many will it take before Donald is injured. I don't think the league cares at all. If they did, they'd crack down on it just like they did with everything that could possibly injure a quarterback.

• 1 / 2
18 posts Mar 28 2024