54 posts
  • 2 / 6
 by SWAdude
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:Like you say, Warner is a SB winning 2 time MVP HOF QB.

Goff is half way through his 3rd year, we don't know how his story will turn out.

I sure do like where it's heading but he's got a ways to go...

100% no doubt.

But he feels like a franchise QB to me.

Warner never did. Martz created a machine that other QBs worked well within.

Warner got into the HOF as much with the Cardinals as with the Rams. The Cardinals had the personel for Warner to work well with. As he did those few short magical years with the Rams. He absolutely failed miserably with the Giants.

You can't ignore that.

by Elvis
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   38377  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

SWAdude wrote:100% no doubt.

But he feels like a franchise QB to me.

Warner never did. Martz created a machine that other QBs worked well within.

Warner got into the HOF as much with the Cardinals as with the Rams. The Cardinals had the personel for Warner to work well with. As he did those few short magical years with the Rams. He absolutely failed miserably with the Giants.

You can't ignore that.

Believe me i don't have one negative thought about Goff. But let's not forget just how well things were going midway through Warner's 3rd year as a Ram.

I give Martz a ton of credit for Warner but same with McVay and Goff. Look at what McVay did with Cousins in DC and what Fisher did to Goff in '16.

Coaching matters too, a lot.

In fact i think it's pretty clear we haven't had a coach/QB combo this good since Martz and Warner.

This clearly has the potential to be better but that remains to be seen...

by SWAdude
5 years 4 months ago
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:Believe me i don't have one negative thought about Goff. But let's not forget just how well things were going midway through Warner's 3rd year as a Ram.

I give Martz a ton of credit for Warner but same with McVay and Goff. Look at what McVay did with Cousins in DC and what Fisher did to Goff in '16.

Coaching matters too, a lot.

In fact i think it's pretty clear we haven't had a coach/QB combo this good since Martz and Warner.

This clearly has the potential to be better but that remains to be seen...

These are all good points.

I think to me this is more of where do we find us now. Do you see Goff a Ram ten years from now? After three years. I do.

After four years Warner was kicked to the curb and the third year got ugly.Bulger replaced him with the Whiner game in SFO. I was at that game.

Respectfully, I remember how I felt in 2003 and Warner was in question.
We are talking Rams. Not Giants or Cardinals.

by SWAdude
5 years 4 months ago
Pro Bowl

I guess the real question here is what defines a franchise QB for a team?

Brady? Rodgers? Brees?

Is Brees a franchise QB with the Chargers?

Not when they got rid of him I believe.

by AvengerRam
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I think the best comparison for Goff is Everett, as both started their careers with the Rams and came in with the expectation of being a franchise QB. Like Everett, Goff’s legacy will be based, to a large degree, on how he fares in the postseason. Time will tell...but I think the kid will find that moment of glory that evaded Everett.

by dieterbrock
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I think the best comparison for Goff is Everett, as both started their careers with the Rams and came in with the expectation of being a franchise QB. Like Everett, Goff’s legacy will be based, to a large degree, on how he fares in the postseason. Time will tell...but I think the kid will find that moment of glory that evaded Everett.

I’d love to see Goff have his “Everett to Flipper Anderson - straight to the locker room” moment

by /zn/
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

I never think that the term "franchise qb" is the same as "elite qb." "FQ" is the larger set and "EQ" is a subset of that.

It remains to be seen if Goff becomes an elite qb (though he has the makings of it), but he already is a franchise qb. He's been that for a while.

I just think a franchise qb is a starter you have every intention of keeping and building around. You have confidence in him as your starter, and all things remaining normal (like no major injury) he's not on probation in any way. Goff already is all that.

And one day we may be putting Goff in the "elite" conversation, but that will come after more seasoning and experience.

In terms of coach and qb, I never believed Martz MADE Warner and the proof of that came in Arizona's run with Warner at qb. I always thought that with Martz and Warner you had a good offensive coach AND a good qb. Injuries and PR disputes ended that relationship, but I don't see anything like that happening with McV and Goff. McV just does not have Martz's "crazy" gene, so the likelihood of some strange parting of the ways is just much smaller. I fully expect McV and Goff to be a pair for years.

by snackdaddy
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I find it satisfying how at one time people were labeling Goff a bust and saying we picked the wrong guy. There was a time everyone said Prescott was the best quarterback in that draft. What do those people think now? We're in an instant gratification society where if a rookie doesn't take off people are questioning if he should have been picked. Year 3 and its clear we got the right guy.

by PARAM
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12184  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Everett was a franchise QB, elite for a while
Warner was a franchise QB, elite twice surrounding a rough patch
Bulger was a franchise QB, elite also, maybe longer than Everett but less than Warner
Goff is a franchise QB who is also elite.

FWIW, he's the first Ram QB with back to back 3,000 yard seasons since Bulger (2003-04).

The last two seasons (season and a half) he's 523 of 809 (64.6%) for 6938 yds (8.58 yds/att) with 50 TDs and 13 Ints for a QB rating of 105.6. His team is 20-5 in games he's started. He's got a 6.2 TD% and a 1.6 Int%. Those numbers scream elite.

• 2 / 6
54 posts Mar 28 2024