by BobCarl
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

https://sports.yahoo.com/youre-still-wa ... 38307.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raide ... -falls-you

"If you're still watching this Raiders team, the blame falls on you"

OAKLAND -- The idea that we should feel sorry for Raider fans because of the shameful way they have been treated by their team has run its course. At this point, what you choose to do with this vat of hot tar with helmets is entirely your doing.

Sunday's 20-6 loss at the hands of the Los Angeles Chargers was in large part the standard fare for this perpetually failing restaurant – although the Derek Carr Screw-It-Screen on fourth-and-5 will go down in the annals of bad dining as something truly special.

But there were still people in the building watching because . . . well, I have no earthly idea at this point. The Raiders already provided all the evidence you would need to skip the game and just tailgate, so the fact that you still go inside and cheer until you can't stand it any longer (in this case, shortly before halftime) is really no longer their fault. You know what they're giving you, so if you keep getting in line waiting for your share, then we've gone beyond offering condolences and are now totally resigned to your unhappiness.

You see, the basis of fandom is still an exchange – you pay money, and you anticipate that what you're paying that money for isn't dysentery in entertainment form. That's because there are no signs that say, "Today's Blue Plate Special, Catastrophic Gastric Distress." The first time you get it, you're unlucky. The second time, you have some explaining to do.

By now, though, you know what is being served, no matter what you order. Thus, Sunday's game, which looked like every other game they play these days, is really past the notion of consumer protection to full-on caveat emptor.

Let the sucker beware.

Hell, Carr's frustrated yet deliberate grounding of the fourth down pass because the only available target, tight end Jared Cook, was too closely guarded, was not so much a failure of nerve as it was a list of ingredients on the side of the box. This is who they are. They have chosen this. And by watching, this is your choice, too.

There is no other way to tart this up. What you see now isn't part of the rebuild, or even part of the retreat. This is the rolling surrender, the year-long giving-up that may last another year before Jon Gruden decides it's safe to repair not only the damage he inherited but that he caused.

And even that story has been told and retold to the point of nausea. The Raiders are in another semi-deliberate freefall because they know that's how rebuilds begin, and they know that because they keep rebuilding over and over again.

Toward that end, there is no reason to break down plays on video, or project whom Gruden might be enamored with going into 2019 or 2020, or try to find wins on the remaining schedule – although Arizona minus-3½ at Oakland next week is so beguiling as a betting play. No matter who they draft, they'll still have too many holes unfilled, and even if that player is generational, he could still end up part of a preseason trade because Gruden didn't like the way he approached OTAs.

In short, we're not telling you to give up, or maintain your enthusiasm. We're just telling you that your choice whether to see or not see the Raiders in this latest version of their dying days is no longer being guided by guile or misdirection or the lure of broken promises of yore. By now, you know what's coming – heartless, directionless, gormless failure – and we can only assume that's what you're willing to give your money to see, in hopes of a brighter day that never seems to come.

By this guy's logic, all Rams fans should have quit a couple of years ago and found another team to cheer for.

Rams fans were treated like shit by Fisher and company, and some of them did quit, some of them are suing the NFL

For Rams fans, it is water under the bridge .... For Raider fans, the bridge is being built in Vegas, then the water will pass.

by Elmgrovegnome
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   624  
Veteran

There were a few Rams seasons that I only continued to watch to see what the draft position would be, and if there was any potential hidden on the roster, to give me a direction for their off season plan.

When your team sucks, all of the fans favorite past time becomes the game of 'what I would do if I was the GM'. If I was a Raider fan in the Oakland area though......knowing they got Chuckie for at least half of his contract and that they were moving away......I'd seriously consider hitching my wagon to another team or just watch every other team and revisit the Raiders in a few years.

by Hacksaw
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Sure it's easy to say just go find another team, but it's not that easy. I even tried when the Rams left but that lasted 1 year.
Home is where the heart is, and for the fans in Oakland (LA), the Raiders are home. Even if their home has no foundation.

by snackdaddy
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

It sucks but we've been there too. We know how it feels. The Raiders have a chance to build something good with all the extra picks. 4 picks in the top 33 next draft assuming they're going to be number one. But its going to take more than a year to build it. They will have to continue to be patient. And there is no guarantee they will build it enough to win. Fisher had a boatload of extra picks and couldn't get past 7 wins with it.

by actionjack
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   3945  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

BUT would you continue to follow if they left again? If they had a decent team yet choose to strip it down so they could wait 2 years when they can more afford player contracts. I have no idea why Raider fans show up to Oakland games.....

by BobCarl
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
Superstar

Elmgrovegnome wrote:There were a few Rams seasons that I only continued to watch to see what the draft position would be,
yep .... I hope Arizona wins this week. Raiders are poised to have FOUR picks in the top 33, it wouldn't take much to trade a 3rd or a 4th and move up from #33 into the mid 1st round.

Trade Carr (which I want to happen) and the Raiders could have FIVE 1st round picks.

by haroldjackson29
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   842  
Veteran

The fact is the Raiders will be good when they move to vegas,just like the Rams move to LA.. it's a given.
..the major markets, San Fran, Ny, and the Raiders, Bears, Rams will all be good for the next few years at the same time , just like the 80s. The Niners , Giants, Raiders are all tanking, so they'll get the draft picks for the successful storylines, over the next couple years.

• 1 / 1
9 posts Apr 18 2024