6 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by AvengerRam
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

1. Another win, another underwhelming defensive performance.

2. The fact that I/we react to a win that way tells me/us how far I/we have come.

3. The possible saving grace for a defense that is not consistently getting stops is the ability to make big plays.

4. In that regard, its noteworthy that a substantial portion of Aaron Donald's 12.5 sacks have come in key moments. Yesterday was no exception, as he had a couple of drive-enders.

5. While I was not thrilled to see him drawing penalties, Dante Fowler showed why we traded for him with the biggest defensive play of the game.

6. He almost had another... and should have been credited with drawing an intentional grounding.

7. I think the "chippy" play (both before and after the game) was an anomaly. Team dealing with the fire... players out of their homes... rival Seahawks instigating... refs unwilling to make holding calls... BOOM!!!!!!!

8. Donald should be receiving a big fine, which he can afford. I don't think a suspension is likely (which we can't afford).

9. Three consecutive wins against the Hawks. Gotta like that!

10. Don't take this the wrong way, but if I had to choose one of the Rams' final six games to lose, it would probably be this week's game. AFC opponent...bye week to follow... odd playing conditions... a win would be great, but this is hardly a "must-win" game.

11. That stated, I think the Chiefs can be beaten.

12. Just don't bet the "under."

13. The likely loss of Cooper Kupp for the rest of the year stings, but its not an insurmountable obstacle. The Rams have plenty of offense.

14. The TEs' emergence could be key. After a strong performance against the Saints, Higbee/Everett caught all 5 of their combined targets and scored two TDs.

15. The poor defense played by winning teams has been a recurring theme this year. This week, the Patriots and Panthers were shredded by the Titans and Steelers. "Defense wins championships" seems to becoming an antiquated concept.

16. Are the Bears a contender? Not sure (even their defense has given up 31 twice this year), but they need to be in the discussion, I think.

17. What the heck happened to the Eagles?

18. Okay... so what did Jared Goff do wrong this week?

19. Mexico City... at least its closer than London.

20. You know, after Monday night, I think I'll appreciate the bye (still have Michigan/Ohio State to watch during the Rams' off week!)

by Haden
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2131  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

Good points. The defense makes me eat Rolaids. Outside of Donald, its generally putrid. I blame Wade for bad schemes. There is too much talent to look this bad.

by dieterbrock
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

I thought the defense played a pretty good game until the prevent just let Seattle come back.

by AvengerRam
5 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:I thought the defense played a pretty good game until the prevent just let Seattle come back.

I'd divide the performance into three parts.

They started really badly, though the personal fouls extending drives were a pretty big factor.

They then had a stretch in the middle part of the game where they were pretty solid.

Then, at the end, they let the Hawks back in.

Uneven and, in the end, giving up 31 is just way too much.

by rams74
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1460  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Dick84 wrote:I’m really big on “making plays” being the most important thing in the NFL today. Plays for a loss, sacks, and forcing turnovers.
The Rams D made enough plays to win today &, if not for some goofy penalties, may have put this game away earlier.

You're right about that, and I was really happy when they made those big plays in critical spots. At the same time, I would like to be not so surprised when the defense does make plays. I would appreciate those defensive big plays to make more frequent appearances, the way they do on offense.

by AvengerRam
5 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

In the big play department, I'd say the Rams pass rush... which had no help from the run defense or the refs (who should have called several holding penalties) did a very good job yesterday.

• 1 / 1
6 posts Mar 28 2024