26 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by Hacksaw
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Their pass D is suspect. Run D is solid so you know they will be effective there.

If Brees checks to his RB's (which I expect to see all day) our LB's are going to have to cover better. I think Wade is more than up to scheming this Payton O though. If we can create that pressure you describe with 4, that will go a long way to confounding the game plan.

Wish we had Talib but hoping for a great day from Peters and Shields and to see a lot more Rams in the NO backfield.

Just say NO to N.O.

by ramsman34
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8463  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Anyone know how Wade has fares against Payton in recent seasons? I know we got them last season but don't remember how the D did.

by RamsFanSince82
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Anyone know how Wade has fares against Payton in recent seasons? I know we got them last season but don't remember how the D did.

Last season Kamara had a 74 yard TD run in the first quarter. Other than that, the run defense played well. Brees did ok (22-32, 246 yards, and 1 TD).

Woods didn't play in this game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 260ram.htm

by FMulder
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   190  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

I had a post that resulted in almost zero discussion, but the point was that Brees throws more short passes than any QB. He will be looking for RBs and Receivers in the under 7 yard zone. To prevent him from succeeding, LBs and DBs need to wrap up, if DBs play closer to the LOS they cannot give up double moves (Peters), and finally, you will not get much of a pass rush off the edge if Brees is getting the ball out quickly, instead you need an up the middle push (due to his size) in which he cannot see the field or needs to go out of the pocket. I’ll take my chances with Brees on the move vs in the pocket. There are chances for deflections at the LOS that could turn into turnovers.

I think the Rams can do very well vs the NO defense.

by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Brees has barely been touched this season. That’ll change on Sunday.
The Rams already had a good pass rush and I believe Fowler could help push it into great territory.
A pissed off Rams D will put Brees down 4+ times and that will be the difference in this game.
The Rams O will have their smoothest game in weeks inside the Dome.

thing is brees always ranks near the top in lowest sack rate, thru week 8 he ranks 4th, last year he ranked 2nd, and for the last 5 year stretch he ranks 2nd.

it's because he throws short so often, he always ranks near or at the bottom in intended air yards average (the average distance the ball travels from qb to receiver on all passes, i.e. completed, incomplete, picked, etc.) - thru week 8 brees ranks 37th out of 39 in iay, last year he ranked 41 out of 41, the year before he ranked 36th out of 39.

a lot of this is driven by him throwing to his rbs so often, no qb throws to running backs more than brees... and, by extension, no qb throws more high percentage short passes than brees, which explains his astronomical completion rate year in and year out.

but this isn't a dump off sort of thing, it's not like he panics, is afraid to push the ball downfield, and as a result is always quick to dump the ball off, a la sam bradford, instead it's the saints' scheme, a hybrid west coast deal, they love to match up with linebackers in the passing game.

the good news is littleton has come on strong in pass coverage, pff currently has him ranked 9th best in coverage among ilb... the bad news is other rams lbs aren't doing nearly as well in coverage, barron is at 66 among ilb, while longacre is at 45th, ebukam 53rd, franklin-myers 94th and fowler 102nd among edge guys.

the best way to sack brees is to put the saints in 3rd down passing sitches, the rams sacked him 3 times last season, twice on 3rd down, while 7 of his 9 sacks this season have come on 3rd down.

by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

FMulder wrote:I had a post that resulted in almost zero discussion, but the point was that Brees throws more short passes than any QB. He will be looking for RBs and Receivers in the under 7 yard zone. To prevent him from succeeding, LBs and DBs need to wrap up, if DBs play closer to the LOS they cannot give up double moves (Peters), and finally, you will not get much of a pass rush off the edge if Brees is getting the ball out quickly, instead you need an up the middle push (due to his size) in which he cannot see the field or needs to go out of the pocket. I’ll take my chances with Brees on the move vs in the pocket. There are chances for deflections at the LOS that could turn into turnovers.

doh, i must have been putting together my post when you submitted this!

by /zn/
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

FMulder wrote:I had a post that resulted in almost zero discussion, but the point was that Brees throws more short passes than any QB. He will be looking for RBs and Receivers in the under 7 yard zone. To prevent him from succeeding, LBs and DBs need to wrap up, if DBs play closer to the LOS they cannot give up double moves (Peters), and finally, you will not get much of a pass rush off the edge if Brees is getting the ball out quickly, instead you need an up the middle push (due to his size) in which he cannot see the field or needs to go out of the pocket. I’ll take my chances with Brees on the move vs in the pocket. There are chances for deflections at the LOS that could turn into turnovers.

Brees passing ranges, % of attempts & completion %
10 yards and under including behind LOS: 74.8% A (a lot), 81.6% C
11-20 yards: 17.9% A, 71.8% C
21-30 yards: 5% A, 72.7% C
31+ yards: 2.3% A, 20% C (low)

by snackdaddy
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Like any other quarterback, get pressure on him and force throws quicker than he wants. But you have to pick and choose the right time for a blitz. Basically the pressure needs to come from the guys up front without too much blitzing. If they can disrupt him they can limit his effectiveness. By limiting I mean something like 250 yards and only 1 TD and a completion rate around 60-65 percent. For a lot of others that would not be a real bad day. But for him it would.

I think the return of Kupp is huge. Our offense seems to run smoother with him in there. He's been a 3rd down machine. And he's usually on the same page with Goff. When he's in there our offense has 4 weapons that will put a lot of stress on the defense. And it seems like Cooks has more opportunities further down field.

by FMulder
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   190  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

This is a great post and what I was trying to allude to. In no way am I saying Brees is a checkdown Charlie or unable to throw the ball down the field. I am just saying that his go to throw tends to be under 8 or so yards. With that said, getting pressure is tough and being able to tackle is critical. The push up front and, or the ability to deflect passes due to his height is also important.

That offense is built on a strong 1-2 punch running game and Brees being able to get the ball out quickly to RBs and Receivers in stride to take a short pass and turn it into something bigger.

Thanks for that input A1

by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

here's a look at who targets who thru week 8... so, for example, the saints rank 3rd in % of targets thrown to their running backs, 10th in % pass tds thrown to their running backs, and 9th in % of passes thrown for a 1st down to their running backs.

looking at the rams, they rank 1st in % of targets thrown to their wide receivers, 12th in % of pass tds thrown to their wide receivers, and 1st in % of passes thrown for a 1st down to their wide receivers.

VirtualBox_2018-11-02_17-44-11.png

• 1 / 3
26 posts Mar 29 2024