32 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by Kid Charlamagne
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   533  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

I heard about the trade while listening to the radio and the guy was questioning the trade, his thing was, the Rams need to replace Suh and Talib maybe even Peters. They need high picks to do that. Of course the rams didn’t even have a pick last year til the 3rd round so I don’t think they worry about that but you do have to wonder. They do need depth all over the place, o-line lb, corner, wr, can they shore up the thin spots?

by AvengerRam
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I like the idea of guys like Fowler, Peters, Joyner and Littleton fighting for their next contract from a finite pool. One more layer of motivation.

by PARAM
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12185  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Kid Charlamagne wrote:I heard about the trade while listening to the radio and the guy was questioning the trade, his thing was, the Rams need to replace Suh and Talib maybe even Peters. They need high picks to do that. Of course the rams didn’t even have a pick last year til the 3rd round so I don’t think they worry about that but you do have to wonder. They do need depth all over the place, o-line lb, corner, wr, can they shore up the thin spots?

Peters and Talib are signed through 2019. Maybe they sign Suh, maybe they don't. Maybe they sign Fowler, maybe they don't. Wouldn't they get comp picks for either if they signed a nice deal elsewhere? The thing is they don't have to do much of anything. They have signed key pieces (Gurley, Donald, Cooks, etc) and have accumulated their "depth" the last two drafts. What they don't have they go out and trade to get it. The Rams have become a "destination" and I gotta believe a lot of guys want to call that new palace home come 2020.

by R4L
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Great points Dick. I'm hoping they can re-sign him because a 3rd and a 5th is a steep price for an 8 game rental.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

Some of the NFL analysts believe we paid too much. That Fowler won't command much on the open market next year.

Does the compensatory pick depend on how much that player signs for?

by RamsFanSince82
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

Horny Mcbae wrote:Some of the NFL analysts believe we paid too much. That Fowler won't command much on the open market next year.

Does the compensatory pick depend on how much that player signs for?

If he doesn't command much on the open market, that's good news for the Rams (if they plan on re-signing him).

Yes, the comp. pick depends on how much he signs for and if the Rams lose more than they gain in free agency.

The Rams are expected to get two third round comp. picks in the 2019 draft. See the attached thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7987&p=118483&hilit=comp+picks#p118483

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2167  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

I think this was brilliant from the Rams perspective.

Trade a 3rd in 2019 when you're expected to get two 3rd round comp picks. Trade a 5th in 2020. He could leave next year and that pick could be upgraded to a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for the Rams.

Win, win if stays or if he goes! They had the comp picks next year and get one if he leaves. It would be worth it still if he stays and performs well!

by SWAdude
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Our defense is awesome on many scales and I almost feel like one of those na-sayers asking the question to the Ram brainiacs out there.

Does this improve our run defense with Fowler?

All I see is he is an edge rusher which is great but our front line is epic anyways.

I would love to see Fowler on the field Sunday.

GO RAMS!!!

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2167  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Scenario 1: He leaves after this year. I expect he's an upgrade for the pass rush. The Rams gave up a 3rd round comp pick and most likely upgrade a 5th round pick into a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2020.

Scenario 2: He stays and plays great for the Rams. He fits in the cap for the future. The Rams again give up a comp pick and a 5th for a player that is part of their core.

I like the risk in both scenarios. Nice job upgrading a position of need with little risk. JMO

• 1 / 4
32 posts Mar 28 2024