11 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by max
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   5579  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/the ... k-the-walk

You need to see the link to get the right effect.

by aeneas1
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

great stuff max, and it looks like a great site too....

optimumscouting.com wrote:In six games in 2018, the Los Angeles Rams, by my count, have called 89 passes from under center in non-empty (at least one back in the backfield) looks. Out of those 89 passes, 82 (92.1 percent) came off play action. The vast majority of those passes were read from deep to short, a completely different mentality from the West Coast Offense passes designed to hit a man in the flats on a quarterback's third step. The deep-to-short read play-action game is the main reason why Goff has 16 pass attempt of 20 or more yards traveled this season, with four resulting in long touchdowns.

from what i can tell deep to short reads has often been the rams m.o., whether throwing from play-action or under center, and can be seen in the all-22 sack clips i posted.

optimumscouting.com wrote:By committing to "minus splits" by receivers and a single bell-cow back, there are few pre-snap tendencies to scout when the Rams go under center. Defenses have to live and die with their decisions on post-snap run-pass conflicts. This is very different from other teams, like Gruden's Raiders, who telegraph much by personnel and situation.

i think committing to 11 groupings almost exclusively could be added to the list of why the rams pre-snap tendencies are so hard to scout, especially considering how many different looks they use from this package, including a variety of plus and minus wr splits.

anyway, great stuff max, thanks for posting it!

by Extremes
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   121  
Belarus   LA
Practice Squad

aeneas1 wrote:great stuff max, and it looks like a great site too....

from what i can tell deep to short reads has often been the rams m.o., whether throwing from play-action or under center, and can be seen in the all-22 sack clips i posted.

i think committing to 11 groupings almost exclusively could be added to the list of why the rams pre-snap tendencies are so hard to scout, especially considering how many different looks they use from this package, including a variety of plus and minus wr splits.

anyway, great stuff max, thanks for posting it!

I'd like to see us run more 00 personal with KhaDarel Hodge and Josh Reynolds. I'd also like to see 22 personal with John Kelly and Todd Gurley in the back field. John Kelly needs to get some reps, dude is so fucking underrated it's crazy.

by aeneas1
5 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

Extremes wrote:I'd like to see us run more 00 personal with KhaDarel Hodge and Josh Reynolds. I'd also like to see 22 personal with John Kelly and Todd Gurley in the back field. John Kelly needs to get some reps, dude is so fucking underrated it's crazy.

i dunno...

as the article (correctly imo) points out, a huge part of the rams offensive success, both pass and run, comes from being so difficult to scout, because they run out of the same package.

as such why would you want to put a 22 group (2 backs, 2 te, and 1 wr) on the field to, presumably, run the ball? why invite 8 in the box? just to show that you can telegraph what you plan to do, and challenge defenses to stop you? a la vince lombardi days, a mano a mano type of thing?

and why would you want to take gurley and a te off the field in favor of 5 wide receivers (00 package)? again, so much of the rams success, especially passing success, has come from play action, which a 00 group would erase, not to mention expose goff to a lot more pressure/hits.

unless you're talking about specific sitches, like goal-line or short-yardage (22), not sure what sitch i'd like to see 00?

that said, i wouldn't mind seeing some hodge or kelly, but not sure how much at this point in time, brown's doing a great job, and i'd would like to see more of him, and gurley rested more.

by 69RamFan
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   3164  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Its Funny,,, I wrote about this on my other site,,, about how I view the RAMs when they played the Vikings...

When I heard Joe Buck giving the RAMs a Nick Name during that game...

So that's the title I used for my Headliner...

Osean Eleven and his West Air Offense....

Here is what I wrote....

Now lets get back to the offense...

The Osean Eleven System.... man that nickname fits him well..

I know I cant stand Joe Buck,,,,

But thats was the only good thing that came out of his mouth yesterday,,,

McVay mostly uses the eleven grouping formation.

McVay has made his own new system....

I want to call it the West Air System...

A combination of the West Coast Offense and Air Coryell.....

Not only McVay calls for screenplays, jet sweeps, in the flats, underneath play,,,

but damn,,, he pushes the deep routes.....

Just look at the ball being spread out by Goff....

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/lis ... 018/4/pass

This starting offensive unit,,, is one of the best in the league... from the O-line, to our WRs, our RB and TEs and QB...

Goff was hitting everyone in stride,,,, dropping dimes in tight windows...

All three of our starting WRs had over 100yds each... all scored,

Gurley had over 150yds from LOS

Goff had 465yds 26comp/33att for 78% completion,

but what makes those completion rate stand out,,,

were the deep throws,,, and medium throws... not just the dink and dunks...

He kept the Defense off stride,,,

The most prettiest throw in my eyes,,, was the one when he ran to the right sideline making the throw,,,

and he threw it right in the bucket to Kupp over two defenders,,,

that was beauty....

We have a very special team for years to come....

by /zn/
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/the ... k-the-walk

You need to see the link to get the right effect.

Well to put 2 different things together.

From that article:

Over the last three weeks, the Los Angeles Rams have thrown 39 passes from under center, all of which came off play action. In six games this year, they have only thrown seven straight dropback passes from under center, with six of them coming in Week 3 against the Los Angeles Chargers

So then combine that, with this (from NextGen stats):

by max
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   5579  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Well to put 2 different things together.

From that article:

So then combine that, with this (from NextGen stats):

In Gurley's 28 carries last week against Denver, only 3 of them were against a stacked box.

Imagine that. You've got arguably the best RB in the NFL and they are daring you to run him. And they don't care how you show it.

by aeneas1
5 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

the next gen chart states:

"gurley's success rate under center can be attributed to him facing double the rate of light boxes.... gurley faces the least number of defenders in the box."

then the chart shows gurley's success rate vs 8+ in the box, close to a whopping 70%, vs a league average below 45%.

:D

seems to me that gurley's success can be attributed to much than just facing a high rate of light boxes given he's kicking the shit out of whatever he's facing, light or crowded.

by phoenixrising
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

aeneas1 wrote:the next gen chart states:

"gurley's success rate under center can be attributed to him facing double the rate of light boxes.... gurley faces the least number of defenders in the box."

then the chart shows gurley's success rate vs 8+ in the box, close to a whopping 70%, vs a league average below 45%.

:D

seems to me that gurley's success can be attributed to much than just facing a high rate of light boxes given he's kicking the shit out of whatever he's facing, light or crowded.

I'm always a little dubious when defenders in the box are noted while ignoring offensive personnel. If you go with 12 or 21 personnel you will likely get an extra guy in the box. The Rams go with 11 personnel more than any team in the league which explains why Gurley sees fewer defenders in the box.

As an aside, I've always thought that the Rams bring their WR's in tight more than most teams because Gurley can bounce it outside like no other.

by phoenixrising
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

I just noted in another post the Rams' deep to short tendencies.

The concept of play action in the conventional sense doesn't really make sense when applied to the Rams. Rather than an occasional way to trick the defense it has become the Rams base play. I haven't seen a count, but it seems there's only a handful of plays per game where the OL is dropping into a traditional pass block formation.

Incidentally, I heard that many college coaches are closely watching McVay's game plans. That's a bit of a role reversal.

• 1 / 2
11 posts Mar 28 2024