129 posts
  • 5 / 13
 by Hacksaw
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

RedAlice wrote:I think he was mostly mad at San Diego.

If so, he's a bigger tool that it appears. Making an enormous financial decisions based on an emotional reaction is just plain dumb-ass.

Did the city of SD cooperate? Not so much. And I get that the battle in SD had grown tiresome.
I just want to know what the urgency was to bail now.

Was the threat of the Raiders moving to LA bigger than any of us knew?
Was it a foregone conclusion that there would never be a stadium possibility of any kind in SD? So as a result did Spanos wanted to get into the LA market before the Rams gathered up all the LA market share?
Is there something in the stadium deal that we don't know about or understand? Because on the face of it, it just seems like a stupid move by a new and unqualified team owner who inherited that team from his far more successful father.
And, what is going to happen to the remaining Chargers fan base if another team moves into SD?
Spanos is playing Spanish Roulette.

by Elvis
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

A couple counter-points:

If it weren't for the Chargers, the Raiders would likely be sharing Inglewood with the Rams.

The Clippers are the 8th most valuable team in the NBA. Being 2nd banana in L.A. is better than being first banana in a lot of cities.

So i'm not so sure the Chargers are doomed in L.A. but yeah, i'd rather have them in SD where they belong (still, that's only if the Raiders aren't here)...

by Mr. Sparkle
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   952  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Veteran

After sleeping on this the more it upsets me. I am not totally sure why (maybe I need professional help).

I know it is all suply and demand but it was always presented to me the PSL/SSL was for stadium construction. Last I checked, it is the same stadium the Chargers are playing in. So why do I have to shell out 2,900% more ($100 vs. $3,000) for the exact same stadium and number of tickets a year?
So they should be able to sell their tickets for dirt cheap but the PSL should be the same.
Why should i care? The only real monetary thing we get out of our fandom is the PSL if we buy them. Well, it is kind of like a stock. Buy low, sell high. The Chargers ones start at the absolute bottom! How could they go down at $100? Even if they do, who cares? You could even just walk away without much of a worry. But the instant the stadium opens, it is aging and the next great stadium will be in the works for sure. I do not see how my $3,000 PSL will go up much regardless on how the team is doing (Hope I am wrong). In other words, there is WAY more upside to the Chargers PSLs than the Rams PSLs.
I used to really like the Chargers in San Diego. Then I was annoyed and irritated at them when the moved to LA. Now I hope they lose every game they play.
Or maybe I am just grumpy this morning! Tell me I am looking at this all wrong.

by Elvis
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Mr. Sparkle wrote:After sleeping on this the more it upsets me. I am not totally sure why (maybe I need professional help).

I know it is all suply and demand but it was always presented to me the PSL/SSL was for stadium construction. Last I checked, it is the same stadium the Chargers are playing in. So why do I have to shell out 2,900% more ($100 vs. $3,000) for the exact same stadium and number of tickets a year?
So they should be able to sell their tickets for dirt cheap but the PSL should be the same.
Why should i care? The only real monetary thing we get out of our fandom is the PSL if we buy them. Well, it is kind of like a stock. Buy low, sell high. The Chargers ones start at the absolute bottom! How could they go down at $100? Even if they do, who cares? You could even just walk away without much of a worry. But the instant the stadium opens, it is aging and the next great stadium will be in the works for sure. I do not see how my $3,000 PSL will go up much regardless on how the team is doing (Hope I am wrong). In other words, there is WAY more upside to the Chargers PSLs than the Rams PSLs.
I used to really like the Chargers in San Diego. Then I was annoyed and irritated at them when the moved to LA. Now I hope they lose every game they play.
Or maybe I am just grumpy this morning! Tell me I am looking at this all wrong.

I would look at it this way. The Chargers are helping to pay for our stadium. If they charged the same for SSL's as the Rams, they wouldn't sell and they'd actually contribute less to the stadium cost.

Also, and this part's ridiculous, you do get your money back in 50 short years...

by Zen_Ronin
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

Elvis has a good point. Do you think Stan is ok with the poor revenue from the Chargers, if only because supporting the Chargers at least means we not sharing quarters with the Raiders? I'm with everyone else in thinking I'd rather have the palace to ourselves, but at least with the Chargers here we know for certain it will remain the Rams House, I'd we were sheeting with the Raiders could we really, honestly, say the same?

by DirtyFacedKid
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

I think the amount of branding they get at said stadium should commensurate with the amount of money they raise.

by Mr. Sparkle
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   952  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Veteran

Elvis wrote:Also, can't help notice the Chargers didn't announce their fire-sale prices until after most of us Rams fans had our chance to buy...

Exactly. Feels like we are shouldering the load. And by "we" I mean people whom bought PSLs. How the owners and NFL works these things out is really not my concern. But because this is my money, I would think that is why it bothers me. The stadium experience part of this will be exactly the same for both sets of fans. Its not like the stadium is going to have lots of Rams branding or better sound, better food, or better anything. Again, I would say ticket prices dictate the demand of the team. But the PSL was sold to me anyway, to be for the stadium. I think it would have been a HUGE difference is Rams PSL owners had rights to 3rd party events. That would make perfect sense to me. Then I would understand why I would pay so much more. Large added benefit.

• 5 / 13
129 posts Apr 16 2024