14 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

gurley is on pace to book a whopping 344 caries on the year, which is almost 25% more than his highest carry count since joining the rams (229, 278 and 279).

to put this number into perspective, backs have carried the ball 344 or more times in a season just 66 times since 1978 (when the league moved to a 16 game schedule), which works out to an average of just 1.7 backs per year.

one thing seems clear, the days of backs carrying the ball 300+ times per year has all but come to an end... last year only 1 back had 300+ carries on the year (bell), compared to 10 in 2001.

here's a look at the top 10 carries per year counts dating back to the 2000 season, red text indicates carries of 300 of or more:

VirtualBox_2018-10-17_04-26-55.png

add receptions to the equation and gurley's workload becomes even bigger, he's certainly earning his new contract.

by AvengerRam
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I wouldn’t mind seeing Malcolm Brown get more carries. He’s a physical runner who typically gets positive yards.

by ScottyD
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   36  
United States of America   Ozarks Rams Fan
Undrafted Free Agent

I would not be opposed to sitting Gurley against the 49'ers but would bet that TG won't go for that. After this game-we have 4 tough games before the bye.

by PARAM
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:one thing seems clear, the days of backs carrying the ball 300+ times per year has all but come to an end... last year only 1 back had 300+ carries on the year (bell), compared to 10 in 2001.

Not only that but history has shown us, running backs who get close to or surpass 350 carries, usually have a severe drop in production the following year and sometimes for the rest of their career. You can burn out a guy in that way. Of course, the younger they are, the better chance they have of not burning out but I'd prefer not to test that theory.

350 or more carries in a season has happened 57. The only guys I've found who remained productive after a season like that are Eric Dickerson and Edgerrin James. Others have had one or two decent seasons afterwards but a large majority were burnt out.

by AvengerRam
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

This also shows how important it could be for the Rams to clinch early and get a first round bye in the playoffs.

by max
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

I said this a couple of days ago, I’d like to see Kelly active and getting some snaps in addition to Brown. If teams are gonna mimick the Broncos strategy of loading up on pass defense and allowing the Rams to run to keep the score down, then we need to run the ball right up their asses. We need 3 RBs for that.

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The only guys I've found who remained productive after a season like that are Eric Dickerson and Edgerrin James. Others have had one or two decent seasons afterwards but a large majority were burnt out.

Pretty sure Curtis Martin would have eclipsed that number a couple of times. True workhorse.
Still, Gurley also so much more involved in pass game. 400 + touches just seems insane

by snackdaddy
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9661  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I think it depends on what the defense gives them. Typically, defenses key on Gurley and make Goff beat them. Now it seems like Goff can beat them. Denver tried something no one else tried. Limit Goff instead. It held them to 10 points below their average. If others copy that formula you have to run Gurley. If McVay took what the defense gave them Gurley and Brown could have run for 350 yards.

by Hacksaw
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

max wrote:I said this a couple of days ago, I’d like to see Kelly active and getting some snaps in addition to Brown. If teams are gonna mimick the Broncos strategy of loading up on pass defense and allowing the Rams to run to keep the score down, then we need to run the ball right up their asses. We need 3 RBs for that.

I agree with this. They need to platoon the RB's if teams try that defense.
T.O.P. Rams 45 mins, opponents 15 mins and an L every time

by max
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Just heard Mike Lombardi say Broncos strategy will keep the score down but will still lose cause McVay will run the ball up your ass.

That strategy won’t work with our OL and RBs. And will keep our D fresh as long as we play good run D.

• 1 / 2
14 posts Apr 24 2024