48 posts
  • 3 / 5
 by safer
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Snack, I don't know a lot about Obo, but IF a rookie has a speed rush, I think we can find a place for him this year. Granted, he may have slipped because he gets washed out vs. the run; maybe he plays too high, etc. But, in long situations I think he may help us because I'm very disappointed in how little pressure we've been able to make from the outside. I'm very curious to see him play.

by /zn/
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I'm glad he healthy now and practicing. But if anyone's thinking he'll be contributing to the pass rush, we might wanna pump the brakes on that. There's a reason a guy's a day 3 pick. He might be good in the next couple years but I wouldn't expect much if any from him this season. Especially with the late start.

But it was a nice story when McVay called him on draft day. IIRC, he got pretty emotional when they called him. Kinda made my eyes watery when I saw that. Seems like a kid you want to root for.

As a rule, rookie pass rushers don't do much. That doesn't mean he can't--he could defy expectations. But usually, they don't do much.

by R4L
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:As a rule, rookie pass rushers don't do much. That doesn't mean he can't--he could defy expectations. But usually, they don't do much.

Who's rule?

by AvengerRam
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:"As a rule" is an expression. It's not literal.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/di ... /as-a-rule

As a rule, nitpicking at someone else's syntax and grammar on a message board is considered inappropriate.

There are, of course, exceptions... :twisted2:

That said... to use your phrase.... as a rule, 31 year olds don't take over as head coaches of NFL teams and win 17 out of their first 22 games.

by /zn/
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:as a rule, 31 year olds don't take over as head coaches of NFL teams and win 17 out of their first 22 games.

As a rule they don't.

by AvengerRam
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:As a rule they don't.

And yet...

That's why some people are expressing hope that Obo can provide a spark.

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

As a rule, gold-digger dancegirls with 5 divorces (and a drowned husband) in their rearview mirror, who inherit a NFL Franchise, then fire the incumbent President/GM, and hire a vampire lawyer and a baseball guy accountant to run the team day-to-day operations, then move the Franchise 2 Time Zones eastward into a pregnant hockey arena in a small market.....

....as a rule, they don't win a Superbowl. :idea2:

by /zn/
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:And yet...

That's why some people are expressing hope that Obo can provide a spark.

Yeah me too.

Me: That doesn't mean he can't--he could defy expectations.

There are some in the thread who flat said I doubt he does anything, so your issue is with them. I have no issue with them myself, it's just a different view...either way I wasn't one of them. I said he could defy expectations because it has happened (where a rookie pass rusher does something). Last 2 seasons there was a rookie rusher each year who got 8 or more sacks. They weren't first round picks either.

by AvengerRam
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:As a rule, gold-digger dancegirls with 5 divorces (and a drowned husband) in their rearview mirror, who inherit a NFL Franchise, then fire the incumbent President/GM, and hire a vampire lawyer and a baseball guy accountant to run the team day-to-day operations, then move the Franchise 2 Time Zones eastward into a pregnant hockey arena in a small market.....

....as a rule, they don't win a Superbowl. :idea2:

But what if they start a QB from the Arena League? How does that impact the analysis?

What makes being a fan fun is the ability to express hope and... once in a while... even if its once in a great while... see that hope fulfilled.

• 3 / 5
48 posts Apr 19 2024