61 posts
  • 3 / 7
 by phoenixrising
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:The narrative used to be no air raid QBs could make it NFL.
Now, some are trying to modify that to Air Raid QBs can’t start as rookies.

What utter... idiotic... nonsense.

The acceptance of RPO concepts on the NFL level and willingness of *good* coaches to integrate those and use them as part of the pathway to the NFL is what changed.
The NFL wasn’t the problem for those QBs... it was coaches stuck in a mold and unable to think outside of their systems.
Reid... Kelly... Peterson... McVay... have blown that up.
It’s a stupid argument.

Stupid sounds like a personal attack, but I'm not as sensitive as some on this board appear to be. I'll just call your argument weak. If Foles, Adam Smith, and Keenum are the best you can come up with you're arguing against your point. A backup, a marginal starter and the very definition of mediocrity. And all took years to develop. Hopefully Goff is the one that breaks the mold.

The narrative was never that a Air Raid QB would never make it in the NFL. Could you link someone who actually said that? The narrative, which you find incredibly stupid, was that Air Raid QB's take longer to develop.

I also disagree that pro coaches are changing to college offenses in a meaningful way. Running a handful of RPO's per game doesn't mean they've abandoned the pro offense.

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

phoenixrising wrote:The narrative was never that a Air Raid QB would never make it in the NFL. Could you link someone who actually said that? The narrative, which you find incredibly stupid, was that Air Raid QB's take longer to develop.

Yeah. People used to say that there were no Air Raid qbs who made it in the NFL.

I'm just repeating the obvious here to back up what you said. As many have been saying for a while now, and which gets said quite a few times in this thread, that has changed---they just start behinder than most and have to develop. (And not to confuse different kinds of spread offenses with the Air Raid...Alex Smith for example did not play in a college Air Raid offense. The Air Raid is its own separate thing.) So for example Mahomes sat and Goff struggled but came out of it.

They will be the starters who break the mold.

Foles had one year as a starter with not as many down games as his other years, but he's a #2 caliber qb and either way absolutely did struggle as a rookie (and a lot since then too). Keenum didn't have a decent season where he played consistently well (avg. completions above 60%, avg. qb rating in the 80s) until 2015. They're not the starting caliber qbs Goff and Mahomes are but they did make it in the NFL (as a #2 and as a #2 who does enough to get tabbed as a starter).

by moklerman
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:You’re kidding about people saying Air Raid QBs can’t succeed... right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnati ... l-air-raid

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebiglead ... draft/amp/

It was accepted wisdom before 2017.

I’m fine calling arguments stupid. Should I entertain climate change denial? No, it’s stupid. We spend too much time on stupid topics.

Goff, Keenum.. Foles.. Mahomes..

It’s a dead meme. If you’re stuck in the past with NFL thinking? Sure.. they won’t translate to your three step drop, under center offense.

But the smart people see really talented players and are figuring out how to get the best out of them.

Neither one of those links/articles stated that Air Raid QB's can't succeed, just that they had struggled up 'til now. Both said maybe so and so will break the mold which isn't the same thing as saying they can't do it.

We'll see how RPO's hold up over time. Many college approaches have temporarily worked but the NFL seems to usually neutralize them. Of course, purists thought the forward pass was an abomination and gimmick that wouldn't last too.

by R4L
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:I wonder if you realize just how ironic that statement is considering your post? Are you actually lecturing someone about not lecturing people?

Did you agree or disagree about anything football related or just attack ZN?

Not trying to get into this and i have no beef with u but zn is a troll. To me nothing ramsfan69 says is wrong. Just my opinion

by AvengerRam
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

In the end, despite how this discussion appears on its face, nobody here is really that passionate about a college offensive system. What we’re really passionate about is Jared Goff, the Rams’ QB.

While I’m relatively new around these parts, I’m guessing that there are some people who strongly questioned Goff’s ability to succeed when he was drafted, doubled down when he struggled as a rookie, then found themselves eating crow last year. The “air raid problem” is just a way of saying, “It’s not that my analysis was entirely wrong...Goff is just a rare exception to an established rule.”

I don’t care much about any of that. My focus is on the fact that the Rams have a QB who is 23 and playing like the franchise QB we’ve sought for years. How he got to this point matters a lot less to me than where he’s going.

by RedAlice
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:In the end, despite how this discussion appears on its face, nobody here is really that passionate about a college offensive system. What we’re really passionate about is Jared Goff, the Rams’ QB.

While I’m relatively new around these parts, I’m guessing that there are some people who strongly questioned Goff’s ability to succeed when he was drafted, doubled down when he struggled as a rookie, then found themselves eating crow last year. The “air raid problem” is just a way of saying, “It’s not that my analysis was entirely wrong...Goff is just a rare exception to an established rule.”

I don’t care much about any of that. My focus is on the fact that the Rams have a QB who is 23 and playing like the franchise QB we’ve sought for years. How he got to this point matters a lot less to me than where he’s going.

You are only new in that Mokler sucked you into a fake “discussion”

Mok. Z. Harold.

They feed on arguing.

by RedAlice
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Our lovely Harold is spouting his theories on so many boards now.

It’s funny.

I’ll wait til at least W3 before I tell the moderators what he’s doing.

Our sister board doesn’t seem to get it yet.

by moklerman
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

R4L wrote:Not trying to get into this and i have no beef with u but zn is a troll. To me nothing ramsfan69 says is wrong. Just my opinion
I don't agree and I've had LONG arguments with ZN. He responded to a post as conversationally as can be expected on a message board and Max took it overly sensitively. ZN was not the one calling ideas idiotic or stupid or anything like that but others were.

Calling him a troll while not doing the same to others who were being much more antagonistic is hypocritical IMO. ZN may be a contrarian and argumentative but he isn't a troll. His posts are thought out and backed by references.

by moklerman
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

RedAlice wrote:You are only new in that Mokler sucked you into a fake “discussion”

Mok. Z. Harold.

They feed on arguing.
Don't mind her, she's infatuated with me.

by RedAlice
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Neither Zn or Mock are trolls.

They are smart. Both.

They just feed on the negative and like to rile you up. Both.

Enjoy or ignore. They will not change.

• 3 / 7
61 posts Apr 18 2024