35 posts
  • 4 / 4
 by moklerman
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

What I don't get about Washington's approach is that they are setting the bar at a 3rd rounder. I mean, that's what they just gave for the top-rated QB in the league so how do they think anyone's going to pony up something more than that(two 1st's on a franchise)? Plus, are they really going to risk being on the hook for $35M if they franchise Cousins? Seems like they're just trying to weaken their bargaining position.

by Elvis
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   38769  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Not to mention, if they lose Cousins in FA, won't they most likely get a 3rd in compensation?

I do not see the tag happening...

by moklerman
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Not to mention, if they lose Cousins in FA, won't they most likely get a 3rd in compensation?

The only thing I can see is if Cousins is still their property. I assume he is until the beginning of the league year so maybe Washington can make a trade before then? But Cousins would have to agree to sign with the new team or they'd be screwed.

So, Washington really doesn't have any leverage realistically speaking. In the end, they're making a lateral move at QB, not losing a draft pick(3rd for a 3rd) and giving up a promising DB. So, for pretty much screwing up the situation with a home grown, cultivated, franchise QB they're getting off pretty lightly.

Some teams have to suffer for years without a legitimate QB.

by dieterbrock
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Not to mention, if they lose Cousins in FA, won't they most likely get a 3rd in compensation?

Not necessarily.
It’s a net gain vs net loss thing. It’s not automatically a player for pick deal.

by dieterbrock
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:The only thing I can see is if Cousins is still their property. I assume he is until the beginning of the league year so maybe Washington can make a trade before then?

That’s all I’m thinking. The report that he’s about to be signed is totally fictitious. He can’t be signed until he’s a ufa.

• 4 / 4
35 posts May 18 2024