291 posts
  • 1 / 30
 by max
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

I really don’t believe Goff is ready to win a game like this. I think he’s a year away.

Goffs 4th quarter numbers have been alarmingly worse than his other 3 quarter stats. And he is especially worse when going against a tough front.

I think McVay has done a great job of giving the illusion that Goff is a star in this offense. He’s not. He’s at least a year away from making game winning plays in big games in critical spots.

It was apparent to me last week in watching the contrast between a journeyman vet like Foles and Goff. Goff was so bad on his last possession and Foles knew exactly where to go with the ball in the critical spot. Goff showed me that he’s just not there yet.

So I can easily see the Rams losing this game cause the Hawks will confuse Goff into turning the ball over and/or keep him from making winning plays at the end.

I don’t think the Rams are a year away anywhere else. But still I believe that they are a year away, but that’s because of the QB more than the HC. I’d love for Goff to prove me wrong.

by /zn/
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I really don’t believe Goff is ready to win a game like this. I think he’s a year away.

Goffs 4th quarter numbers have been alarmingly worse than his other 3 quarter stats. And he is especially worse when going against a tough front.

I think McVay has done a great job of giving the illusion that Goff is a star in this offense. He’s not. He’s at least a year away from making game winning plays in big games in critical spots.

It was apparent to me last week in watching the contrast between a journeyman vet like Foles and Goff. Goff was so bad on his last possession and Foles knew exactly where to go with the ball in the critical spot. Goff showed me that he’s just not there yet.

So I can easily see the Rams losing this game cause the Hawks will confuse Goff into turning the ball over and/or keep him from making winning plays at the end.

I don’t think the Rams are a year away anywhere else. But still I do agree that they are a year away, but that’s because of the QB more than the HC.

That may or may not be true about Goff being ready. I am not so much in agreement about the Seattle D tricking him into turnovers....Seattle's defense isn't even ranked as high as the Vikings or Jaguars, it's on a par more with the Saints defense. So going back to the Jax game, Goff has had 3 INTs since then (8 games) and only one was against a top 15 defense (Saints game).

Either way of course the Rams have won games this year without the offense dominating. They just have to do enough on offense, combined with an opportunistic defense (not always 4 quarters of it) and opportunistic special teams.

In the last 8 games they've played 4 top 15 defenses (Jagz, Vikes, Saints, Eagles) and Goff's qb rating against them averages out to 93.1.

Seattle's defense is 13th. I don;t think their defense is tough as the Eagles D.

For me the Rams weakness, overall, is just being a young team that doesn't always "make the plays" the way a solid winning veteran team does. In fact in their losses, you can name the blunders that cost the game. Gurley's goal-line fumble caused by Thomas, for example, or the Kupp non-TD, or Tru jawing off after being warned more than once.

by BuiltRamTough
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

I don’t buy the Rams are a young team excuse anymore. Other then Goff, the core players are veterans.

Withworth, Saffold, Sullivan, Havestein, Woods, Watkins, Gurley, Kupp is basically a veteran, Tree, Tru, Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Barwin, Joyner, Robey Coleman, Heckker, Zurlein, TA.

That’s not a young team. They don’t have playoff experience but that shouldn’t be an excuse. Philly and the Vikings are just as “young” as us if you want to play that game.

The time is now.

by bubbaramfan
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1117  
United States of America   Carson Landfill
Pro Bowl

This may be true Max, but games like this are essential for Goff to become what he needs to be in the 4th qtr of high impact games . He's coming along nicely, and exceeded all my expectations this year. I agree he's still a year or two away.

by PARAM
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

bubbaramfan wrote:This may be true Max, but games like this are essential for Goff to become what he needs to be in the 4th qtr of high impact games . He's coming along nicely, and exceeded all my expectations this year. I agree he's still a year or two away.

Right. At some point, when a QB arrives, he wins games like these. Is Goff a year away from that ability? Max doesn't know. Neither do I. That's why we'll have to wait and see. Remember, at the beginning of the season, we didn't expect nearly as much as we've got from Goff already this year. He's surpassed most expectations. Maybe he'll surpass Max's expectations in this game.

by Elvis
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-ra ... in-seattle

Rams can't be 'new big dogs' until they beat Seahawks in Seattle

Dec 15, 2017
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Todd Gurley remembers being a rookie in Seattle, near the end of the 2015 season, and scoring a touchdown.

"I kind of spiked the ball," Gurley said. "My teammate was like, 'Boy, what you doing? You better keep that ball. You know how many people score in Seattle? Nobody.'"

Gurley's Los Angeles Rams return to this hallowed place on Sunday, to face the division-rival Seattle Seahawks in a crucial late-season game that feels like a potential changing of the guard in the NFC West. The Rams (9-4) remain a game up on the Seahawks (8-5). They're the better team, trailing only the Philadelphia Eagles for the NFL lead in point differential, and they're also a lot healthier.

But none of that matters if they don't win.

The Rams lost to the Seahawks earlier this season, even though they outgained them by 134 yards. A victory in Week 15 would give the Rams a two-game lead with only two games left, essentially wrapping up a division title. A loss would sink the Rams to second place in the NFC West and probably place them on the fringes of a playoff spot, given the overall talent in the NFC South.

Gurley agreed that Sunday's game (kickoff is set for 1:05 p.m. PT on Fox) is as close to a must-win as one gets in the regular season.

"It's one of those games that you usually see other teams play in at the end of the year," Gurley said, "and we're in that situation this year. It'll be exciting."

The Seahawks have won the division three of the last four years and have gone to the playoffs in six straight seasons. But they seem an eternity removed from the Legion of Boom days of Gurley's rookie year, their home-field advantage dissipating in the process. The Seahawks went a combined 34-6 at home from 2012 to 2016, but have lost two of their last three at CenturyLink Field (though their last home game finished in a win over the first-place Eagles). Their defense ranks 10th in yards per play (5.09), while sitting eighth in rushing yards allowed per game (102.8) and 16th in passing yards allowed per game (226.3).

They're good, but aging, a slew of injuries keeping them from maintaining their place among the game's elite.

The Seahawks could be without Pro Bowl linebackers Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright on Sunday, and they'll definitely be without cornerback Richard Sherman and safety Kam Chancellor, both of whom have been lost for the remainder of this season.

"God is good," Gurley said, playfully, when asked about facing a Seahawks defense without Sherman and Chancellor. "No, you hate to see guys like that go down. Two of the best DBs in the NFL. Just to see those guys still win, beat Philly -- that just shows you the type of team they are and they have become these last couple of years. No matter the situation, who's down, they have people to come in, step up. They just know how to win. That's just how they've been."

The Rams' biggest concerns come on defense, and they are singularly focused on one player.

"Russell Wilson, Russell Wilson, Russell Wilson," Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said as he approached the podium on Thursday, referencing Seattle's Pro Bowl quarterback.

The Seahawks are burdened by a shaky offensive line and a non-existent running game, so they have relied on Wilson to make up basically their entire offense this season. Wilson has accounted for 32 of Seattle's 33 offensive touchdowns. He has thrown for 3,527 yards and run for 482 yards, enough to make him his team's leading rusher. His 17 fourth-quarter touchdowns are already an NFL record.

"You want to hate the other team, but he’s such a great guy," Phillips said of Wilson. "He really is. He does so many wonderful things, but we’ve got to try to beat him. He’s a tremendous player, tremendous individual, leader. He’s already done so many great things. It puts you at a big challenge. The guy makes plays on-schedule, off-schedule. He can throw it from the pocket; he can certainly run around and throw it and make big plays. He’s a handful."

But yet, so are the Rams.

Defense-adjusted Value Over Average -- or DVOA, a Football Outsiders metric that measures a team's success on a given play versus what would have been expected given several factors -- has the Rams as the NFL's best overall team at this point. They're scoring the second-most points per game while forcing the sixth-most turnovers, and they'll be boosted by the return of wide receiver Robert Woods and outside linebacker Connor Barwin on Sunday.

"Jalen Ramsey said it best: 'There's new big dogs in the league,'" Gurley said, referencing the Jacksonville Jaguars' dynamic cornerback. "Teams that haven't been doing good in the past, they've been able to step up. Just to see that, see what teams come through and be able to be where they're at today, means a lot for us."

The Rams have already locked up their first winning season in 14 years, but their turnaround isn't complete, and their standing as the new leaders of the NFC West isn't a reality, until they beat the Seahawks in Seattle.

Fitting.

by Neil039
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Yet again another negative post because it must be to difficult to think of positives. Definitely over all the negativity, maybe some of you are not fans at all. Just like being critical of everything.

by /zn/
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

BuiltRamTough wrote:I don’t buy the Rams are a young team excuse anymore. Other then Goff, the core players are veterans.

Withworth, Saffold, Sullivan, Havestein, Woods, Watkins, Gurley, Kupp is basically a veteran, Tree, Tru, Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Barwin, Joyner, Robey Coleman, Heckker, Zurlein, TA.

That’s not a young team. They don’t have playoff experience but that shouldn’t be an excuse. Philly and the Vikings are just as “young” as us if you want to play that game.

The time is now.

Well in fact, it;s a young offense.

Gurley, Goff, Higbee, Brown, Hav, Kupp. Woods is the only real seasoning among the skill players because I don;t count Watkins yet. And sure enough you can easily count up youthful mistakes that guys on that list made. Mistakes that were decisive in games.

by max
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:That may or may not be true about Goff being ready. I am not so much in agreement about the Seattle D tricking him into turnovers....Seattle's defense isn't even ranked as high as the Vikings or Jaguars, it's on a par more with the Saints defense. So going back to the Jax game, Goff has had 3 INTs since then (8 games) and only one was against a top 15 defense (Saints game).

Either way of course the Rams have won games this year without the offense dominating. They just have to do enough on offense, combined with an opportunistic defense (not always 4 quarters of it) and opportunistic special teams.

In the last 8 games they've played 4 top 15 defenses (Jagz, Vikes, Saints, Eagles) and Goff's qb rating against them averages out to 93.1.

Seattle's defense is 13th. I don;t think their defense is tough as the Eagles D.

For me the Rams weakness, overall, is just being a young team that doesn't always "make the plays" the way a solid winning veteran team does. In fact in their losses, you can name the blunders that cost the game. Gurley's goal-line fumble caused by Thomas, for example, or the Kupp non-TD, or Tru jawing off after being warned more than once.

The Seahawks have Earl Thomas who will try to deceive Goff. How many times did Goff turn the ball over against the Hawks in their first game? Wasn't it 2 picks and a strip sack for a TD? Granted, Goff is better now. But is he that much better that he wont make any critical mistakes in crunch time? That's what I'm doubtful about.

Gurley is protecting the ball now, I believe that wont happen again. TruJ sees the error of his act, I doubt he or anyone else on the defense taunts in this game. And those are not difficult things to correct.

Playing QB at a high level after showing that you have not been up to the challenge in clutch time is nowhere as easy to correct.

I'm not saying the Rams can't or won't win. They have the best RB in the NFC this year, and I believe they can win with him.

• 1 / 30
291 posts Apr 18 2024