55 posts
  • 1 / 6
 by majik
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1210  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Am I missing something? Gurley' s foot is out of bounds before the ball is clearly loose or hits the pylon. Wouldn't play be dead at that point?

After further review, the player's foot was out of bounds with the ball at the one foot line. The ball did not hit the pylon until after the play is over.

And why is a fumble out of bounds NOT RECOVERED by the other team not simply team retains possession at the goal line. One of many STUPID rules that have no logical reason to exist.

by Hacksaw
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The ball came out of Gurley's hand at the 12 inch line and at that precise moment, the bottom of his cleat was 1 inch off the OB turf so technically he was still in bounds. The ball hit the top of the pylon which is in the end zone and the next thing the ball touched was a now OB Gurley who regained possession too late. So out of the end zone , , touch back. :x

A bizarro play and a precursor for what would transpire all day.

by RamsFanSince82
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

by AltiTude Ram
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2195  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

The saying goes "It's a game of inches ".

Imagine how the course of the game changes if that is scored differently.

Weren't the SeaChickens the team that benefited from replacement Refs calling simultaneous possession on a Hail Mary INT.?

I think that was the play that brought back the regular Refs.

by Hacksaw
6 years 8 months ago

AltiTude Ram wrote:The saying goes "It's a game of inches ".

Imagine how the course of the game changes if that is scored differently.

Weren't the SeaChickens the team that benefited from replacement Refs calling simultaneous possession on a Hail Mary INT.?

I think that was the play that brought back the regular Refs.

After reviewing the 3 photos, I recant my previous take on the fumble. The OB player (Gurley) clearly touched the ball while OB killing the play. Dead ball at the 12 inch line right? The pylon becomes moot.

Unless control has some bearing on all this?

It's in the books but the Seahacks get no bragging rights. The Rams had the hoobie on them today.

by majik
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1210  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Why does the NFL insist on the ref on the field review it instead of a team of refs back at HQ, like baseball does? It would be much quicker AND more accurate cause those pics clearly show Gurley's foot OB with ball in hand. Play over

by Hacksaw
6 years 8 months ago

majik wrote:Why does the NFL insist on the ref on the field review it instead of a team of refs back at HQ, like baseball does? It would be much quicker AND more accurate cause those pics clearly show Gurley's foot OB with ball in hand. Play over

I thought as of this year, that is what they are now doing. All reviews are made in NY or somewhere.

Why cant the ref's just get it right?

by PARAM
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   12304  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Unless control has some bearing on all this?

This ^^^. The ball was coming out before he stepped out of bounds. What I first thought was the ball hit the pylon, not the ground and he regained control but that ain't right either. It was a fumble. A good play by Thomas. 5 turnovers and we still were inches from a win. I'm not going to lose sleep tonight.

by phoenixrising
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   820  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

Yes, Gurley lost control before stepping out of bounds so it was a fumble. BUT, after doing a little research, the rule states that if an out-of-bounds player touches a live ball, the ball is immediately dead(out of bounds). While Gurley did not have control, he was still in contact with the ball as his foot touched OOB so the ball should have been dead at that point and Ram ball near the goal line.

by aeneas1
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:This ^^^. The ball was coming out before he stepped out of bounds. What I first thought was the ball hit the pylon, not the ground and he regained control but that ain't right either. It was a fumble. A good play by Thomas. 5 turnovers and we still were inches from a win. I'm not going to lose sleep tonight.

exactly... what those 3 photos don't show is the travel of the ball after he lost control... it was a fumble, it was loose, then gurley stepped out of bounds, but the ball was still in play, it didn't travel out of bounds where gurley did, instead the multiple replay angles appeared to show the ball hit on the inside half of the pylon before it went out of bounds, i.e. a touchback... anyway, personally, i thought gurley was a bit cavalier with the ball on that play, it hurt.

• 1 / 6
55 posts Jun 17 2024