by Elvis
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   39663  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Was Nick Foles A Bad Fit For Philly?

BY TIM MCMANUS | JULY 23, 2015 AT 1:08 PM

Photo by: Jeff Fusco.

The topic of whether Nick Foles had the right temperament to play in Philadelphia was introduced by The Inquirer‘s Jeff McLane Wednesday during an appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic.

“Nick, I think, wasn’t very comfortable in that role [of a franchise quarterback], especially in Philadelphia,” he said. “I think there probably wasn’t as much written about that [as there should’ve been] and I’ve kind of learned a few things since Nick has been gone, that it had really gotten to him, some of the criticism that was happening here in Philadelphia based on his play last season and I don’t think Bradford is the type of guy where he lets that type of stuff get to him.”

Louis Riddick, who was a part of the Eagles' front office when Foles was drafted, joined the morning show Thursday and was asked for his take.

"My experience with Nick is that he was very even-keel, very mellow, very much so not affected by a lot of outside things, but more...I've talked with people directly that were with him every day and coached him, and he was the kind of guy who behind the scenes didn't necessarily like being criticized, didn't necessarily like maybe being coached hard, being gotten on in the way that some quarterbacks and some players can take," he said. "So is it surprising that maybe he would fit in a little bit better in a town like St. Louis where, not necessarily that they don't have high expectations, but it's not the same kind of scrutiny he'll face here in Philadelphia? Yeah, that doesn't shock me. That doesn't shock me that he would feel more comfortable there.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/ ... B0JOyWL.99

by dieterbrock
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Good grief. Dr Phil anyone?
Here's what I see in Philly from a local point of view. For better or worse, Chip Kelly is a modern day Jon Gruden when it comes to QB. He's a collector and will ride a guy but he needs the perfect type. Rich Gannon checked many boxes but still couldnt get it done. Vick was supposedly perfect, but he couldnt hack it. Foles blew up but Kelly soured on him quickly. Sanchez was a fit, for a minute.... Now he's got Teblow? I always thought Dennis Dixon was going to get a chance there, be Kelly's Danny Weurfel, but he couldnt hack it either losing his spot to Matt Barkley of all people. Point being, until Kelly sticks with a guy, even when the going gets tough, its a rotational QB team. And I cant recall a team ever doing well that way

by TSFH Fan
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   699  
United States of America   The OC
Veteran

Seems like they're trying to be diplomatic and what they want to say is that: Nick is soft and couldn't cut it in Philly, but he's a nice guy.

by Elvis
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   39663  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

TSFH Fan wrote:Seems like they're trying to be diplomatic and what they want to say is that: Nick is soft and couldn't cut it in Philly, but he's a nice guy.

That's my take too: Nick Foles was soft. Thing is, Bradford isn't exactly Brett Favre when it comes to being tough...

by moklerman
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I have no idea if he was soft or mentally weak or anything along those lines but I can't help but think that he wasn't doing what Kelly wanted. Whether it was pre-snap reads, missing hot routes, whatever. There had to be something. I don't buy for a second that Kelly is so shallow that he'd get rid of Foles for no good reason.

I don't doubt that Kelly did give up on Foles at some point but there had to be a reason. No coach would just give up on a 27/2 level QB out of spite.

by dieterbrock
9 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:
I don't doubt that Kelly did give up on Foles at some point but there had to be a reason. No coach would just give up on a 27/2 level QB out of spite.

Well, that was apparently part of the reason he got rid of Lesean McCoy and to a lesser exent Desean Jackson. So I'm not sure what to think of Kelly, nor do I think he deserves credit or criticsm for his moves just yet. He's been all over the map

by moklerman
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:
moklerman wrote:

Well, that was apparently part of the reason he got rid of Lesean McCoy and to a lesser exent Desean Jackson. So I'm not sure what to think of Kelly, nor do I think he deserves credit or criticsm for his moves just yet. He's been all over the map
I don't know if I'd call it spite with those guys. Obviously they have talent but their attitudes didn't fit with the "culture" he's trying to establish.

Maybe Foles had a bad attitude too? I don't get that impression from him but maybe he was sniping Kelly and Kelly decided to move on.

by dieterbrock
9 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:
dieterbrock wrote:
moklerman wrote:

I don't know if I'd call it spite with those guys. Obviously they have talent but their attitudes didn't fit with the "culture" he's trying to establish.

Maybe Foles had a bad attitude too? I don't get that impression from him but maybe he was sniping Kelly and Kelly decided to move on.

I wasnt implying that Foles had a bad attitude, just that Kelly has made moves where personality conflict is the alleged reason for the seperation. M
It will be interesting to see how his wheeling and dealing works out. They've got a lot of $$ tied up in QB and RB, with Sanchize having seniority on the team. I'll be hearing all about it since the Phillies are dead and buried here

by TSFH Fan
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   699  
United States of America   The OC
Veteran

Regardless of what may or may not have happened with Foles in Philly, I'm just hoping that he (and Hamels, too hopefully!) are part of the Philly to LA train of success -- yes, that means he has to sign on.

I mean Kobe, Lasorda, Jeff Carter, Wilt Chamberlain, Hexy (front office), add Foles and Hamels.
Mike Richards blew it and got removed from this list. I want to add Eddie Jones, but can't.
I'm sure everyone has about 5 more they can add.

• 1 / 1
10 posts Oct 18 2024