Total posts:   2049  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

by Dare
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   79  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

There is a point where Snead talks about "What if we can get someone that can disturb in the middle" as a reason they took Donald.

Well guess what? Kobie Turner may never be a HOF DT but he can and does exactly that. That is the role that Turner plays on the Ram's D.

There is no question that the Rams will miss the greatness of Donald. But that is not to say they don't have someone who can step into the role competently. You give Turner two good edges that the defense must account for and Turner can be that wrecking ball coming off of the 3T.

Turner is built like Donald, i.e. 6'2" around 300 lbs. Who better than the GOAT at DT to mentor Turner on how to use his natural leverage and quickness to play the position?

So I say thank you AD and welcome Kobie.

As sad as I am to see Aaron leave, at least I know that he left the Rams well served with a hugely talented Turner who I know benefited greatly from his year with AD.

by /zn/
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   6771  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Dare wrote:There is a point where Snead talks about "What if we can get someone that can disturb in the middle" as a reason they took Donald.

Well guess what? Kobie Turner may never be a HOF DT but he can and does exactly that. That is the role that Turner plays on the Ram's D.

There is no question that the Rams will miss the greatness of Donald. But that is not to say they don't have someone who can step into the role competently. You give Turner two good edges that the defense must account for and Turner can be that wrecking ball coming off of the 3T.

Turner is built like Donald, i.e. 6'2" around 300 lbs. Who better than the GOAT at DT to mentor Turner on how to use his natural leverage and quickness to play the position?

So I say thank you AD and welcome Kobie.

As sad as I am to see Aaron leave, at least I know that he left the Rams well served with a hugely talented Turner who I know benefited greatly from his year with AD.

Except that Turner did that on a line that included AD, who drew a lot of attention.

Turner is quick and he is smart. He doesn't have AD's strength. Turner will IMO be a good player on a good front 7. But he won't be that good if he draws a lot of attention the way AD did and no one else steps up. So far, near as we can tell, the front 7 has good players in Turner and Jones, and maybe Young. Brown is a solid NT and could be a decent part of a good front 7, though he's on his final year and the Rams traditionally don't re-sign their NTs.

They need at least 3 more players on the front 7 who are better than what it looks like they currently have. As it stands now, there's a good chance Turner draws heavy attention and that will probably affect his production. He needs a couple of other players around him.

They could be getting a couple of those needed players this draft, though historically, front 7 players need to develop and usually don't do much in year 1. Turner was a welcome exception to that as a rookie, but again, that was him playing on the same line with AD.

by Elvis
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   38589  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

It's a brave new world. Like Snead said, you don't replace AD, that's not an option. With a few possible exceptions, the Rams have been good on defense every year AD has been here.

Obviously there are plenty of good NFL defenses without Donald but like i said, we're entering waters that haven't been charted by the Rams in a decade. And with a rookie DC to boot.

It's gonna be different, hopefully in a good way...

by ramsman34
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   8564  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

That was awesome. I’ll say this, all 3 of the DL need to be highly complementary. A bigger NT that can disturb 2 blocker, anchor against the run, and has pocket disruption and stunts capability. A DE that can do basically the same and also set the edge on twists etc. Then add your killer edge players Who squeeze the pocket from the outside and accelerate the QBs “clock”. AD could be neutralized by double/triple teams. When the others around him could not make offenses pay, we had issues. Kobie will face the same and even started to see that at the end of the season. It is critical they get the ENTIRE front 7 right to compensate for the loss of AD. That is what it will take. And great coverage players who can also play the run will be very helpful. Just gonna be a lot of young and unproven guys asked to do this.

by actionjack
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   3974  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:Except that Turner did that on a line that included AD, who drew a lot of attention.

Turner is quick and he is smart. He doesn't have AD's strength. Turner will IMO be a good player on a good front 7. But he won't be that good if he draws a lot of attention the way AD did and no one else steps up. So far, near as we can tell, the front 7 has good players in Turner and Jones, and maybe Young. Brown is a solid NT and could be a decent part of a good front 7, though he's on his final year and the Rams traditionally don't re-sign their NTs.

They need at least 3 more players on the front 7 who are better than what it looks like they currently have. As it stands now, there's a good chance Turner draws heavy attention and that will probably affect his production. He needs a couple of other players around him.

They could be getting a couple of those needed players this draft, though historically, front 7 players need to develop and usually don't do much in year 1. Turner was a welcome exception to that as a rookie, but again, that was him playing on the same line with AD.

Completely agree, Kobie's world is gonna change when he gets doubled every snap. I hope the Rams can sign some edge help in later free agency, we cant expect to draft dudes and have them be big contributors in 2024. As of now the defense is the area we need to get right or we will be a one and done team in the playoffs.

by /zn/
1 month 1 week ago
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:Completely agree, Kobie's world is gonna change when he gets doubled every snap. I hope the Rams can sign some edge help in later free agency, we cant expect to draft dudes and have them be big contributors in 2024. As of now the defense is the area we need to get right or we will be a one and done team in the playoffs.

I don't think they have enough cap room left to sign a FA. But they will draft guys. Of that I am convinced.

Turner is a good player, and so is Jones. Though obviously they can't operate at the same level of effectiveness by themselves in this new front 7. They need other pieces. They have to be part of a good ensemble. The front 7 has to be a collection of good players, not just solid ones with a star in their midst, which is what the AD front 7 was.

Now in terms of developing that new front 7--from 2017 to 2022 the Rams had a total of 15 2nd and 3rd picks. Of those 15 picks, only one was spent on a front 7 player--Jones. That changed in 2023 when they picked 2 more--Turner and Young. Making it 3 of 17. Now, though, I would be shocked if they didn't take 2-3 more in 2024 (potentially using their 1st rounder for that too).

by actionjack
1 month 1 week ago
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:I don't think they have enough cap room left to sign a FA. But they will draft guys. Of that I am convinced.

Turner is a good player, and so is Jones. Though obviously they can't operate at the same level of effectiveness by themselves in this new front 7. They need other pieces. They have to be part of a good ensemble. The front 7 has to be a collection of good players, not just solid ones with a star in their midst, which is what the AD front 7 was.

Now in terms of developing that new front 7--from 2017 to 2022 the Rams had a total of 15 2nd and 3rd picks. Of those 15 picks, only one was spent on a front 7 player--Jones. That changed in 2023 when they picked 2 more--Turner and Young. Making it 3 of 17. Now, though, I would be shocked if they didn't take 2-3 more in 2024 (potentially using their 1st rounder for that too).

I see the Rams having around 7 to 8 million (20.7- Jimmy- Curl- Draft picks= 7.5) in cap, so i see them being able to make a move or two. Hopefully contracts are getting cheaper by the day.

by /zn/
1 month 1 week ago
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:I see the Rams having around 7 to 8 million (20.7- Jimmy- Curl- Draft picks= 7.5) in cap, so i see them being able to make a move or two. Hopefully contracts are getting cheaper by the day.

Yeah they can sign some bargain FAs the way they did last year with Robinson and Witherspoon. But when was the last time a late signing bargain FA was a productive edge rusher.

by actionjack
1 month 1 week ago
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:Yeah they can sign some bargain FAs the way they did last year with Robinson and Witherspoon. But when was the last time a late signing bargain FA was a productive edge rusher.

I think Clowney was a a pretty good pickup last year for 2.5mill/yr. They are out there. Anything to push Hoecht into a rotational role and get some experience on the DL.

• 1 / 2
13 posts Apr 28 2024