72 posts
  • 6 / 8
  • 1
  • 6
  • 8
 by /zn/
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6804  
 Joined:  Jun 28 2015
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:While it’s probably true you don’t draft a guy bc you lost THE guy, they simply have to address the position bc they don’t have enough bodies on the roster. Doesn’t necessarily mean via the draft, but they gotta get em from somewhere.

It’s gonna be a crazy draft. I’d like to see them get Latu and then find a way to get one of the top DL who has position flex along the front. That would be perfect. They are gonna picks some guys that will have us scrambling to get deep info on for sure.


IMO they are just going to draft the best of what's there--LB/edge, DE, or DT--and then do it again. If they do it this way I expect them to walk away with at least 2 front 7 players from the first 4 picks.

 by PARAM
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12307  
 Joined:  Jul 15 2015
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:I see McVay as saying you have to think of the whole front 7, you don't just draft a DT because you lost a DT. So it becomes a matter of who's there when they pick, and which one of the guys who are there is the best for the Rams? Could be an edge/LB, a DE, or a DT.


/zn/ wrote:IMO they are just going to draft the best of what's there--LB/edge, DE, or DT--and then do it again. If they do it this way I expect them to walk away with at least 2 front 7 players from the first 4 picks.


Couldn't agree more. And that's what we should want them to do. I know there are some folks who believe inside pressure is more disruptive than edge pressure, simply because a QB can step up with edge pressure. And if you bring it from all areas....edge, inside, blitzing....it's even more devastating. So yeah, it makes sense to go after pressure players early and often. I know it's a month away and a lot can happen prior to the draft, but I am more amped this year than I've ever been. Going into free agency we had many needs.

OL has been taken care of. TE (with Higbee on PUP early) has been taken care of. CB, ditto. QB2, same. Safety too. We've had an ongoing need for Edge and with AD's retirement, DT. So it makes sense we see them attack those two needs early in the draft. Can't wait!!!

 by /zn/
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6804  
 Joined:  Jun 28 2015
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Couldn't agree more. And that's what we should want them to do. I know there are some folks who believe inside pressure is more disruptive than edge pressure, simply because a QB can step up with edge pressure. And if you bring it from all areas....edge, inside, blitzing....it's even more devastating. So yeah, it makes sense to go after pressure players early and often. I know it's a month away and a lot can happen prior to the draft, but I am more amped this year than I've ever been. Going into free agency we had many needs.

OL has been taken care of. TE (with Higbee on PUP early) has been taken care of. CB, ditto. QB2, same. Safety too. We've had an ongoing need for Edge and with AD's retirement, DT. So it makes sense we see them attack those two needs early in the draft. Can't wait!!!


Just a reminder because I posted this before. From 2017 to 2022 out of 15 picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds, Rams took one player in the front 7 (Jones). After 2023 with Turner and Young it's 3 out of 17 picks. I expect this year to change that & it won't be just DL, it will be players plural for the front 7 (ie. not necessarily just the DL).

.

 by ramsman34
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8668  
 Joined:  Apr 16 2015
United States of America   Back in LA baby!
Moderator

/zn/ wrote:IMO they are just going to draft the best of what's there--LB/edge, DE, or DT--and then do it again. If they do it this way I expect them to walk away with at least 2 front 7 players from the first 4 picks.


I’m thinking that too. But, they are gonna make trades and move around. I think they have like 20-30 players they really like and are going to go hard to get them, almost regardless of position with some obvious exceptions. And that mean they will be trading.

 by actionjack
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4079  
 Joined:  May 19 2016
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:I’m thinking that too. But, they are gonna make trades and move around. I think they have like 20-30 players they really like and are going to go hard to get them, almost regardless of position with some obvious exceptions. And that mean they will be trading.


I have obviously been on the Edge need and now DT. I do think we need to address those areas early. I could still see the Rams wanting to add a young talented Corner cause there several who could fall in that area. I could also see the Rams sliding back some in the first or moving to the second trying to get another pick in the top 100.

Or the Rams move up and draft Bowers or Odunze :D

 by Elvis
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   38885  
 Joined:  Mar 28 2015
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

actionjack wrote:I have obviously been on the Edge need and now DT. I do think we need to address those areas early. I could still see the Rams wanting to add a young talented Corner cause there several who could fall in that area. I could also see the Rams sliding back some in the first or moving to the second trying to get another pick in the top 100.

Or the Rams move up and draft Bowers or Odunze :D


Pretty much sums up my thinking: There are many ways this draft might go but probably a lot of defense...

 by rams74
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1500  
 Joined:  Nov 19 2015
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

actionjack wrote:Or the Rams move up and draft Bowers or Odunze :D

I don't see that happening. I sure hope not. The Rams have already spent money on the TE and WR positions in free agency.

I hope their top draft picks are on defense.

 by actionjack
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4079  
 Joined:  May 19 2016
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

rams74 wrote:I don't see that happening. I sure hope not. The Rams have already spent money on the TE and WR positions in free agency.

I hope their top draft picks are on defense.


I get it, but we know the Rams and adding offensive weapons with McVay....

 by ramsman34
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8668  
 Joined:  Apr 16 2015
United States of America   Back in LA baby!
Moderator

And you can’t discount Kupp’s recent injury issues as far as WR goes. But there will be talent at that position later in the draft too.

Everyone “knows” they need help at DL and edge. Which means they are suspect to getting jumped for certain players. But they have their “pods” of players at various draft slot values. They will have options. And they won’t hesitate to make moves to increase chances of getting guys they want.

 by PARAM
2 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12307  
 Joined:  Jul 15 2015
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Just a reminder because I posted this before. From 2017 to 2022 out of 15 picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds, Rams took one player in the front 7 (Jones).


But....the last 3 drafts it's been 3 of 6. :D

I joke but your point underscores something else. From 2017-2020, they took ZERO in the front 7. Is it possible Donald was even more impactful than we thought?

  • 6 / 8
  • 1
  • 6
  • 8
72 posts Jun 19 2024