484 posts
  • 18 / 49
 by actionjack
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   4023  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Dare wrote:I think the Rams will have at least two QBs in their first round cluster (i.e. wish list). Nix and Penix come to mind but I have my doubts either drops to 19. But I would be ecstatic if the Rams could grab either one.

That said there are a few worthy of hard looks outside the first round. They cannot ignore that Stafford is very likely to retire at the end of this coming season. I also think this could be Cooper's last season as well. That is why IMO they are going all in this season to get one more Lombardi while they have this core of players.

This means WR will be a priority as well as QB. Robinson is simply a bridge starter IMO.

Priorities: QB, LT, Edge, WR, CB, RB, LB so I wouldn't be surprised if their first 4 picks address players in those positions. Because of how aggressive they were in the FA market, only Edge projects as a starter this year. But I can see new starters at each of those positions by 2026. IMO the first 4 I listed projects as starters next year (2025).

The wildcard is at LB. I could see them transitioning someone like Desjuan Johnson to ILB. As he lacks the speed you want at edge in the NFL. That said he showed in college his ability to track the ball and flow to the play. I think he brings more to the table than Rozeboom who is more of a coverage ILB and not really a run stuffer. I can see Johnson as a good complement to Jones inside. Mathis looks better at the rotational edge role.

I dont see Stafford retiring after this season i think we have him for 2 more years but you never know. Like you mentioned it isnt likely either Penix or Nix is around with so many QB needy teams. Also IMO for the Rams to select one of those dudes that have to be sure they are the future. On Penix he might not start until he is 26-27, not sure I would want to do that.

The Rams will always go after elite offensive talent, so I could see the possibility of making a move to grab a WR, but much more likely DL early.

So I think the picks from the 3rd round and higher to be CB, DT, EDGE and maybe a QB with the extra 3rd. I think OT will be dealt with late in the draft as the have AJ and Note as a backup, need a guy they can develop.

Will see the Rams always make it interesting.

by ramsman34
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   8625  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I dont see “future” QB on their list in the top 3 rounds. Staff has 2 more years at least. Why would you not be drafting for now and next year to increase talent around him?? They know the future QBs coming out in 2-3 years. You may be right - none of us know. I just don’t see it. I do t see QB as a top need or even want and certainly not the #1 need; not in this 2-3 year SB window.

Unless you think the Rams are not in a SB contention window now and for the next 2-3 seasons???

by actionjack
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   4023  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Man who knows the Rams will do or the rest of the league for that matter. The entire first round of the draft will be must see TV. If you go to the article the Schutz report thinks Penix could be of interest to the Rams, they love leaders....

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2024/0 ... y-meeting/

Even after tendering Alaric Jackson as a restricted free agent, the Los Angeles Rams could still be in the market for another offensive tackle in the NFL draft this year. It could even be a position they target in the first round, knowing how important it is to find a long-term left tackle.

Troy Fautanu out of Washington is one option for the Rams if he slips in the first round. He was a full-time starter at left tackle for the Huskies and one of the best pass blockers in the class, allowing only three sacks and 35 total pressures in the last three seasons combined.

According to Jordan Schultz of Bleacher Report, the Rams met privately with Fautanu before his pro day on Thursday.

Fautanu is projected to be a top-15 pick, potentially even a top-10 guy. There’s a chance he’ll slip to No. 19, especially if six quarterbacks go in the first 20 picks, and this is a strong class for left tackles so other teams might prefer other prospects over him.

Whether it’s in a trade up or by standing pat at No. 19, the Rams have to consider the possibility of taking Fautanu in Round 1.

by PARAM
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   12289  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Fautanu is projected to be a top-15 pick, potentially even a top-10 guy. There’s a chance he’ll slip to No. 19, especially if six quarterbacks go in the first 20 picks, and this is a strong class for left tackles so other teams might prefer other prospects over him.

That wouldn't be a popular move, what with the need for Edge and DT, along with Alaric, 2 new 50 mil dollar guards, Avila and Havenstein, but I'd take it. We'd have a young talented devastating OL even more so than we do as I type. His versatility as a LT, T or G would also allow us to carry less lineman. I'd think we would have 8 active on game day and maybe only 8 on the 53, not to mention a sudden surplus of talented OL we could offer in a trade.

Alaric, JJ, Avila, Dotson, Havenstein, Noteboom, Fautanu, McClendon, McAllister

And who knows how things are going to work out with Alaric? He's on a 1 year deal.

by ramman2999
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   572  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

I think

Bryan Murphy is the pick he just looks like the part. Looks like he could come in and definitely be the defensive tackle.

by ramman2999
1 month 1 week ago
Veteran

If you could get Fontou that would be a win.

by ramman2999
1 month 1 week ago
Veteran

I am intrigued that Phenix ran a 4-6. At his pro day. That is impressive. For a Quarterback. That is Mahomes esque.

Mature is Mature. Who cares how long he’s been in College. I can see the Rams making a pick like that.

He has the weapons around him. You see what he does with Weapons.

And he has elite arm talent.

by PARAM
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   12289  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

BTW, @Elvis.....I'm sure there's going to be a live chat for the draft right?

by snackdaddy
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   9688  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:I dont see Stafford retiring after this season i think we have him for 2 more years but you never know.

I think Stafford finishes his contract. But I never thought Aaron Donald would retire this year. So yeah, who knows?

If the Rams pick a quarterback on day 1 or day 2, I gotta think he will retire sooner than later. I'm pretty sure he would let them know well in advance if he's planning on retiring.

My guess is, if they don't draft a quarterback, or pick one late in the 6th or 7th, Stafford is not thinking about retiring. When you look at guys like Brady and Rogers playing into their 40's its gives hope he'll be around for a while. An elite arm like his can last longer than average arms.

• 18 / 49
484 posts May 12 2024