36 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by ramsww
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   478  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

I saw the headline. Didn’t read the article but yes, Yes, YES.

1. We’re STILL talking about Bill Gorman 64 yrs later who holds the 1960 rookie yardage record (albeit in less games)

2. Puka will likely NOT win OROY, a travesty but this record will stand.

3. Few (honest) Ram fans expect us to win more than one playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl this year. Anything can happen but we weren’t supposed to win 5 games.

4. Puka should get to make that decision as he won’t get paid for years and has outperformed….just about every WR in the NFL this year. JMO

by PARAM
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12318  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

What's amazing is Groman's record. 14 GP, 72 rec., 1473 yards, 105.2 yds per game, 20.5 yds per catch, 12 TDs. I've kind of softened on Puka's record. I want him to get it for him. Puka had 3 things going for him that other rookie WRs didn't have or don't have or won't have in the future.

1. He is talented and healthy
2. Kupp was injured prior to the season and McVay had no choice but to make Puka the center of the passing offense
3. He was fortunate to get drafted by a team with a fantastic offensive head coach/play caller and a HOF QB.

The rookie record for receptions is 104 by Waddle in 2021. He wasn't as fortunate as Puka with the offensive head coach/play caller though. And Tua isn't a HOF QB. He's good, extremely accurate though.

Jamar Chase came out the same year, had a better QB and head coach/OC than Waddle but also teammates who were good WRs. 81 rec., 1455 yards and 18.0 yds/rec., 13 TDs. IMHO, a better rookie year than Waddle who averaged 9.8 yds/rec.

But that's where Puka is. He's as good, if not better than those 2. He doesn't need the record to prove that. And we need him to be healthy for the postseason, regardless of whether we're being "honest" about our chances. I hope he plays and the second he gets four 8 yard slants, get him out of the game.

by ramsman34
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8675  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

He plays so physically. That can help and hurt him. Hopefully Wentz puts the ball in good locations to protect him. I would avoid send him over the middle unless it’s a crosser that hits on the opposite sideline.

by ramsww
5 months 3 weeks ago
Starter

ramsman34 wrote:He plays so physically. That can help and hurt him. Hopefully Wentz puts the ball in good locations to protect him. I would avoid send him over the middle unless it’s a crosser that hits on the opposite sideline.

My concerns exactly. I think Wentz was a good pickup but I’ve seen him throw receivers into traffic. How well does he know the playbook? Get Puka 4 for 30 and get him out. Let Wentz get a full game in.

by Zen_Ronin
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2054  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

I'll also throw out that as much as I want Puka to get the record, I don't put it passed the 9ers to play to hurt him and take him out of the playoffs. SF KNOWS we can take them out of Super Bowl contention. I wouldn't surprise me at all for them to play a very dirty game in an effort to take one of our top weapons and the team that looks like the biggest threat to them (with the exception of the Ravens) out of the playoffs. I'd just hate to see Puka miss the playoffs due to injury, and I'd hate to see what effect not having him would do to the teams dynamics.

by PARAM
5 months 3 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

Zen_Ronin wrote:I'll also throw out that as much as I want Puka to get the record, I don't put it passed the 9ers to play to hurt him and take him out of the playoffs. SF KNOWS we can take them out of Super Bowl contention. I wouldn't surprise me at all for them to play a very dirty game in an effort to take one of our top weapons and the team that looks like the biggest threat to them (with the exception of the Ravens) out of the playoffs. I'd just hate to see Puka miss the playoffs due to injury, and I'd hate to see what effect not having him would do to the teams dynamics.

F' that record!!!! :D

by ramsman34
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8675  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Zen_Ronin wrote:I'll also throw out that as much as I want Puka to get the record, I don't put it passed the 9ers to play to hurt him and take him out of the playoffs. SF KNOWS we can take them out of Super Bowl contention. I wouldn't surprise me at all for them to play a very dirty game in an effort to take one of our top weapons and the team that looks like the biggest threat to them (with the exception of the Ravens) out of the playoffs. I'd just hate to see Puka miss the playoffs due to injury, and I'd hate to see what effect not having him would do to the teams dynamics.

That is a fair and strong point. What goes around comes around however. They play dirty and take Puka out, someone will return the favor. And they know that. Hopefully sportsmanship still has a place in “sports” and everyone plays hard AND clean.

by PARAM
5 months 3 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:That is a fair and strong point. What goes around comes around however. They play dirty and take Puka out, someone will return the favor. And they know that. Hopefully sportsmanship still has a place in “sports” and everyone plays hard AND clean.

They have a few players who are just downright dirty against any opponent. Greenlaw is one and I remember shouting "karma you sleazebag!" when he went down in one of our games vs them.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2102  
Pro Bowl

The record would also be a life-time good memory for the entire Offensive Unit.

by ramsww
5 months 3 weeks ago
Starter

4 catches can easily take half a game or completely take you out of your game plan trying. That said, I think they start out with a couple quick strikes to Puka and some safe screens but if Wentz is totally off or if Puka drops any I think McVay will quickly pull the plug. I’d like to see Puka get it halfway through Q2 and then take a bow. No love from Levi Stadium if he does.

• 1 / 4
36 posts Jul 02 2024