by Elvis
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   39466  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp ... story.html

NFL pursues plans for temporary venues in L.A. market for 2016 season

By SAM FARMER

The NFL's search for a temporary Los Angeles stadium is officially underway.

The league on Thursday began issuing proposal requests to multiple venues in Southern California — among them the Coliseum and Rose Bowl — with the intent of securing a temporary home for a team (or teams) for the 2016 season in the event of a return to the market.

Chris Hardart, NFL vice president of corporate development, confirmed the process of issuing requests has begun, information first provided by an individual not authorized to speak publicly about it.

"It is part of the process and an effort to understand all of our options and have a well thought out plan if a team or teams were to be approved to relocate," said Hardart, who declined to identify sites other than the Coliseum and Rose Bowl that have received them. In the past, league executives have touted the viability of Dodger Stadium as a potential temporary venue.

The L.A. market has been without a team since 1995, when the Rams moved to St. Louis and the Raiders returned to Oakland. Both of those franchises are back in the relocation mix. Rams owner Stan Kroenke is proposing a stadium in Inglewood, and the Raiders have joined forces with the San Diego Chargers to back a stadium plan in Carson.

The league has scheduled a special meeting of NFL owners on Aug. 11 in Chicago to update them on the L.A. situation and to further define the schedule for one or two potential club relocations.

The NFL wants to know before the August meeting which temporary venues are in play, and in general terms what their rent and capabilities would be. Then, the league could negotiate deal terms in the fall, in advance of a team or teams gaining approval to relocate. There were no specific teams mentioned in the proposal requests.

At no point during the past two decades has the NFL gotten so far as to commit to a temporary venue in the L.A. market.

The primary tenants in the Rose Bowl and Coliseum — UCLA and USC, respectively — have veto rights in regard to sharing those stadiums with NFL teams.

Follow Sam Farmer on Twitter @LATimesFarmer

by BuiltRamTough
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

My personal preference is the Rose Bowl because it's close to me and I've enjoyed attending a game there. That being said, I've never been to the Coliseum and I'm to young to remember the LA Rams. So I really can't say which one is better because I've only been to one.

by Hacksaw
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

you need field glasses to watch a game at the Coliseum. plus the place reeks of readers.

They're both iconic however I feel the Rose Bowl has the more recent upgrades with suites and such so I hope they play in Pasadena. And it will bring back memories of the 79 Superbowl.

by BuiltRamTough
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:you need field glasses to watch a game at the Coliseum. plus the place reeks of readers.

They're both iconic however I feel the Rose Bowl has the more recent upgrades with suites and such so I hope they play in Pasadena. And it will bring back memories of the 79 Superbowl.

What's readers?

by den-the-coach
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

The Rose Bowl that's wear the Los Angeles Rams and Ray Malavasi almost defeated the freaking Steelers back in 1979. Although the Rams had a history at the Coliseum, there is the little doubt that the Rose Bowl is a better venue and would be my preference as I begin my yearly visits to Southern California and the first round is on me Gentlemen as I hope all from RFU can truly unite and drink from the silver cup and celebrate that Thomas Wolfe was wrong because you can go home again!

by Gareth
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1209  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I will be happy either way. The Rose Bowl is much more convenient and a better venue to go to. However I grew up with the Rams at the Coliseum so part of me would love for them to play there for a year or two. That would be nostalgic and it's best for me.

by bubbaramfan
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1118  
United States of America   Carson Landfill
Pro Bowl

So the NFL is looking for a temporary place for the Rams and Chargers to play? How nice of them. Sounds like they think an NFL team is moving there, and within a short time. What, no faith in Chargers getting a new stadium in San Diego? Or Rams moving into a new one in St. Louis? Or just being good boy scouts, "Be Prepared". Really, I thought they would have left that to the team that moved.

• 1 / 3
29 posts Sep 07 2024