8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... -starting/

Finish line in sight, Dean Spanos is just starting

Chargers chairman has a lot of work to do to win trust, get a stadium

By Kevin Acee | 3:01 p.m. Jan. 30, 2016

In this stadium marathon, Dean Spanos has stumbled and cramped and threatened to quit. He has run backward and gone off course.

We have booed him, often justifiably, especially in the latter stages.

Now, having embarked on the final mile of what is really a race to determine his legacy as either a civic champion or our town’s greatest villain, Spanos is in a position to win. And, if he is successful, we will be there to embrace him as he leans across the finish line.

It will be grueling for him. We must demand that. He wants our money, so he owes us. If we are to one day recall only the victory, it will take all Spanos has and a little more.

The Chargers chairman’s Friday statement, addressed to fans, was a fine first step. But it was merely a first step. His subsequent appearance on the team’s web site was monumentally better than his previous videoed propaganda. It was more than satisfactory, as second steps go.

These generous assessments are somewhat relative, since the man has been almost invisible to the public and, when he has talked on the subject of his franchise’s location, has been a bit more than galling.

Spanos’ focus for a decade was to pass on the daily operation of the Chargers to his sons, A.G. and John, which he did earlier this year. His final act before living out his days full of golf and grandkids, he always hoped, would be securing a stadium solution.

Well, here we are, the tape across the finish almost in sight, yet really at the starting line.

There is a long way to go – like, we’re eyeing the top of Palomar Mountain as the goal and Deno is buried up to his neck in the La Jolla sand. Time to get up, dust himself off and start running a campaign.

If his Chargers web site appearances and what I heard Friday night in talking to people familiar with Spanos’ state of mind are accurate indications, he knows what he must do.

He is aware of the journey, mindful that he and his family must amicably approach rather than antagonistically attack.

It was, in fact, a conversation with his heirs that pushed Spanos back from the brink of a choice he knew deep down that he’d regret.

Dean asked his sons what they wanted. As is the Spanos way, A.G. and John said they would support their father’s decision. He asked again what they wanted.

“We want to stay,” was the gist of their reply.

And so the message must go. All San Diego Spanoses must preach that this has been their home and always will be.

There is more to it, of course. Let’s not forget that if the Spanos family handles this correctly, it will be up to Mayor Kevin Faulconer to put words into action. And, eventually, whether San Diego wants the Chargers to stay will be left for its citizens to voice via vote.

To start, there should be a change in tactical operation.

It says here that Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani, for all his acidity, has been instrumental in getting us here where we can practically grasp the impossible dream of a new stadium. We have a chance to keep our team, and we got a $100 million gift from the NFL to help make that happen. Plus, the Chargers have an insurance policy in Inglewood, not to flaunt but certainly to fall back on if need be.

That is thanks – in part, whether you want to admit it or not – to Fabiani.

Still, Fabiani has to be removed from the proceedings, at least publicly. Spanos can keep him on in the background. Fabiani is an asset. He knows the downtown situation and is well-versed in these processes.

The Chargers can tell us whatever they want about that move. We should be willing to believe them. First, it doesn’t matter as long as he’s gone. Second, while cynicism is healthy, it is time to shelve the contempt and outright distrust. We know from experience those methods won’t get anything done.

Remember, Spanos could be headed to Los Angeles now waiting to count the money. He’d be miserable, maybe. But the checks wouldn’t bounce. He and his siblings and their offspring would be rich without the risk they are prepared to assume here.

Also, it’s time to change the overall culture at Chargers Park when it comes to dealing with the media and, ergo, the public.

Head coach Mike McCoy declined comment as he walked past television cameras and got in his car Friday after the announcement the Chargers were staying. Sorry, that won’t work when campaigning to win back the public and, thus, win at the polls. Perhaps Philip Rivers needs to teach a class about how taking a few moments to say something not only doesn’t have to be damaging to the team but can be beneficial. Spanos must also realize that on many topics his team’s website is viewed as being as trustworthy and informative as Pravda. They are going to have to engage folks in a broader way.

Most importantly, Spanos and his team must plainly present to San Diego what the Chargers need and how they’d like to accomplish that. Spanos wants his stadium to be downtown. I’m rooting for that, because that plan has merit. But Spanos must be willing to consider Mission Valley. (Vice versa for Faulconer & Co.)

There is, of course, room for negotiations in financing. This won’t be painless for either side.

The mayor and County Supervisor Ron Roberts both said Spanos seemed sincere in their brief meeting Friday. They expressed what Spanos did – a spirit of openness and flexibility. When they meet again to start their negotiations, most likely in the coming week, it needs to be with those tenets as the cornerstones.

It is on Spanos to keep putting one foot in front of the other, to complete this thing one handshake and one hug at a time.

by Hacksaw
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

For anyone interested here's the Chargers video.

http://www.chargers.com/video/2016/01/2 ... ision-stay

"It says here that Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani, for all his acidity, has been instrumental in getting us here where we can practically grasp the impossible dream of a new stadium. We have a chance to keep our team, and we got a $100 million gift from the NFL to help make that happen. Plus, the Chargers have an insurance policy in Inglewood, not to flaunt but certainly to fall back on if need be."

AAUGH!!

"Remember, Spanos could be headed to Los Angeles now waiting to count the money. He’d be miserable, maybe. But the checks wouldn’t bounce. He and his siblings and their offspring would be rich without the risk they are prepared to assume here."

Doesn't that $650MM factor in here? ($550M relo + $100M gift) Team value goes up in LA but you can't spend that unless you sell which is prohibitive due the the new "flip tax"? I don't get that it is more risk to stay other than losing a year to the Rams. And frankly, they are screwed there either way.
The OC idea made some sense but who's going to fund that?

by Stranger
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   Norcal
Superstar

Watched the video. What a nebbish.

by Hacksaw
8 years 1 month ago

Stranger wrote:Watched the video. What a nebbish.

Haha... a nebbish. Another perfect word.

by Hacksaw
8 years 1 month ago

I was wearing a LA rams sweatshirt at the market today talking about the Rams and Chargers. We were all (mostly me) agreeing on the fact that no one up here wants the Chargers and then from the next check out lane deans brother turns around wanting to see who was talking. He looked at us and decided to remain silent. lol

by Stranger
8 years 1 month ago
Superstar

Hacksaw wrote:I was wearing a LA rams sweatshirt at the market today talking about the Rams and Chargers. We were all (mostly me) agreeing on the fact that no one up here wants the Chargers and then from the next check out lane deans brother turns around wanting to see who was talking. He looked at us and decided to remain silent. lol

Were you in LA or SD?

PS. Dean's brother does his own grocery shopping? LOL

by Hacksaw
8 years 1 month ago

Stranger wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:I was wearing a LA rams sweatshirt at the market today talking about the Rams and Chargers. We were all (mostly me) agreeing on the fact that no one up here wants the Chargers and then from the next check out lane deans brother turns around wanting to see who was talking. He looked at us and decided to remain silent. lol

Were you in LA or SD?

He has a cottage in Laguna down the street from me. He must be here for the weekend or something. It looked like a wine run.

by Stranger
8 years 1 month ago
Superstar

Hacksaw wrote:
Stranger wrote:

Were you in LA or SD?

He has a cottage in Laguna down the street from me. He must be here for the weekend or something. It looked like a wine run.

I would love to have seen the look on his face when he turned around.

by Hacksaw
8 years 1 month ago

Stranger wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:
Stranger wrote:Were you in LA or SD?

I would love to have seen the look on his face when he turned around.

Sort of a sheepish stink eye. lol

by Hacksaw
8 years 1 month ago

http://www.rams-news.com/chargers-to-st ... ium-video/

The Chargers announced Friday they will remain in San Diego for the 2016 NFL season and continue working towards a new stadium in that city. The team reached an agreement in principle to share a new stadium with the Rams in Inglewood, but Chargers chairman Dean Spanos says “my focus is on San Diego.” Any agreement with the Rams would be seen as a strong indicator that the Chargers will ultimately move to Los Angeles – unless the deal was being made to help shape future negotiations with San Diego officials in the event Spanos decides to give the franchise’s home of 55 years another try. The Chargers have until next January to exercise their option to move. Jim Hill has the story.

• 1 / 1
10 posts Mar 28 2024