23 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by PARAM
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12295  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

HarRam wrote:What I don't understand is how anyone can expect Matthew Stafford and Allen Robinson to develop any rapport when the time isn't put in on the practice field.

IIRC, Stafford sat out a lot of preseason practices and was on a pass-count to save his arm and certainly didn't take the field in pre-season games to develop that rapport with any receiver, much less Robinson. Then once the season started, all hell broke loose when offensive lineman started dropping like flies. Every passing down was an adventure for Stafford and ultimately lead to his being injured. So, in the heat of the ever-shrinking time in the pocket, Stafford turned to his reliable connection--CKupp.

So, I wouldn't necessarily write off Allen Robinson. But of course, I'm not there at practices or off-season training, so I don't know how serious Robinson is about improving his game.

Good points. I was rewatching some games to see for myself exactly how well (or not) Kendricks played since I've read so many fans who say he sucked. Besides finding that was an over reaction, in two games Allen Robinson and Stafford were connecting. It was the games before and after the bye (wks 6 & 8). ARob made some dynamic catches. 1 near the goal line falling backwards, a nice handgrab catch and another in the end zone. He made one other catch that looked extremely tough. But the point is, that was 6 weeks into the season and in the previous 5 games he had just 12 catches for 107 yards and 1 TD. In the two games I'm citing he had 10 catches (on 14 targets) for 117 yards and a TD. So he can play.

Then we hear "he approached the Rams for a trade" and think, "shit Wagner wanted out. ARob wanted out. They saw the team was going to suck and didn't want to waste one of their last 2 or 3 years losing". Really? Both were probably asked to restructure, so obviously the smart move by a player is to say, "No. Release me (or trade me)". But it's just one more way for the snowball known as "tanking" to gain steam.

If they don't trade Robinson, he may be more productive than 2022, with more time in the system and with Stafford. And if they trade him, they'll free up more than 6 mil while taking on more dead money (11 mil). But it's do-able. We'll see.

by ramsman34
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8637  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I can’t see anyone trading for him unless the Rams take on a lot of the remaining contract. Why do that? If you are paying a lot of the money anyway, keep the vet and find the best way to use his skill set in your scheme. He can and is good at run blocking. Why aren’t they using him more like Woods? - on underneath short/intermediate routes, and on ISO/outside the numbers match ups. He should also destroy cover 3/cover 1 on seam route work and intermediate over routes. He isnt a deep threat. But he can make contested catches and there should be a way to design your route schemes utilizing him, Kupp, VJ, and Tutu. You rotate in Benny Skow. You utilize your (3) TEs. There should be plenty of diversity in skill sets to create a very dynamic passing attack.

by actionjack
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   4039  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

McVay on A ROB

by Hacksaw
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I don't get it. If he's under contract for 2 more years, why are they allowing him to have his way?
Or was that just coach speak for they want him gone because of his contract amount,, but....¿

by actionjack
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   4039  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Hacksaw wrote:I don't get it. If he's under contract for 2 more years, why are they allowing him to have his way?
Or was that just coach speak for they want him gone because of his contract amount,, but....¿

I dont think his contract is justified as far as the Rams are concerned. Therefore they are willing to help to move him. If not McVay is willing to work with him and put him in a better position for success for Arob and the team. Stafford being around for OTA's and TC would be huge...

by Elvis
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38769  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Hacksaw wrote:I don't get it. If he's under contract for 2 more years, why are they allowing him to have his way?

I think this is a case of the Rams wanting to move on from Robinson and, more importantly, his contract.

So a better question might be, why should Robinson allow the Rams to get out of paying money guaranteed to him less than a year ago?

But i think the real deal here is, the Rams don't do business like that. They want their relationship with their players and coaches to be mutually beneficial, empowering, collaborative all that modern goofy stuff that McVay is always talking about. It has to work for both sides. Coaches get better gigs, players get paid (either by the Rams or other teams). That makes players and coaches want to be a part of the Rams.

Forcing them to do stuff they don't want to do or be somewhere they don't want to be is probably not going to get it and definitely not how these Rams roll...

by Hacksaw
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

actionjack wrote:I dont think his contract is justified as far as the Rams are concerned. Therefore they are willing to help to move him. If not McVay is willing to work with him and put him in a better position for success for Arob and the team. Stafford being around for OTA's and TC would be huge...

Thats it I'm sure. And it will help a lot to get them all on the same page.
What ever is best for the good guys.

And agreed E. It seems that contracts aren't as good as the paper they're written on these days. And that goes both way.

by BuiltRamTough
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

No one is going to take on his contract and also give something in return. He’s not worth it.

We’re stuck with him unless he gets cut.

by PARAM
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12295  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

BuiltRamTough wrote:No one is going to take on his contract and also give something in return. He’s not worth it.

We’re stuck with him unless he gets cut.

I don't believe he'll be cut. Too much more dead money. I can't help but wonder if we "get stuck with him", it might be fortuitous in the end.

by rams1974
1 year 1 month ago
 Total posts:   514  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

If he doesn't want to be there it is better to just eat the dead money .. JMO

• 2 / 3
23 posts May 18 2024