by Elvis
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... /78850028/

Bengals' new OC Ken Zampese offers continuity

by Paul Dehner Jr.

Ken Zampese could have left Cincinnati. In fact, many in his situation would have.

In this league of coaching carousels, staff changes and the constant chase of the next big job, finding one person content in one spot as a position coach for 13 years is rare. Finding one who stuck around as two different offensive coordinators were hired in front of him is almost unheard of.

That’s part of what made Zampese an easy choice to assume the role of Bengals offensive coordinator less than 48 hours after former OC Hue Jackson held his introductory press conference as head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

The Bengals desired continuity and someone who understands the organization. Few understand it or profess more pride to be a part of it. That’s why he’s here and why he stood at the press conference podium Friday sitting next to Marvin Lewis.

“I’m a little different than some other guys,” Zampese said. “There are opportunities. Most guys want to jump at the first opportunity they can get. I like being where people have faith in me, they treat me like family. That’s what’s happened here.”

Patience and loyalty paid off for Zampese, named the fourth offensive coordinator under Lewis. When Bob Bratkowski was let go following the 2010 season, Zampese and Lewis spoke about the job. Lewis went with Jay Gruden. When Gruden earned the head coach position in Washington, Zampese and Lewis again spent many hours together discussing the coordinator position. Lewis went with close friend Jackson.

The Cincinnati Bengals introduced Ken Zampese as offensive coordinator Friday, promoting him from quarterbacks coach. The Enquirer/Kareem Elgazzar

The way he looked at and handled those situations stand as a large reason for his appointment now.

"Never looked at it like (got passed over)," Zampese said. "I felt very fortunate to work here and in the NFL, especially here when your input is valued at all times, that goes a long way. It’s always been like that here. When you know you have the support of the organization at all times the way the Brown family, coach Lewis is, I never looked at it that way. Never. Just thought we will see what happens down the road I am going to do the best I can to support the guy in that position."

Coming off a year in which the offense finished seventh in yards per play and total points and quarterback Andy Dalton took a monumental leap in his development, the conversation would swerve in any other direction. It came down immediately.

Momentum of this team and this quarterback led directly to the time finally arriving for Zampese, 48, who served as quarterbacks coach for all 13 seasons under Lewis.

“It’s something I hoped for for a long time,” Zampese said. “Opportunities come when they come. You don't force it. When it’s right, it happens. Here it is right now and here we go.”

With Zampese in place the foundation of the offense in terms of structure, verbiage and playbook won’t change much. Most importantly, this keeps Dalton as comfortable as possible moving forward to build on the spike in his numbers.

Dalton made large jumps in interception rate, touchdown rate and yards per attempt this past season for career highs. He also set a Bengals' franchise record for passer rating (106.2) while posting a career high in completion percentage (66.2).

More than any stat, Dalton’s mastery of the offense, particularly in his options before the snap, took the attack to new levels. That’s why the comfort level, knowledge and continuity Zampese provides offers a perfect fit.

“Helps Andy and continues with the development of our quarterbacks with their role in the offense and not have to re-learn, change, teach somebody what we are doing new that way,” Lewis said.

Zampese takes over as the latest internal promotion for a coordinator. Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther and Jackson were both in-house elevations.

“It’s huge; the continuity is huge,” Zampese said. “We can walk right in with the group we have right now and move forward from where we are at right now.”

Lewis recalled first hearing about Zampese about 15 years ago when friend Mike Martz pointed out an ascending young assistant working under him with the St. Louis Rams’ receivers as part of “The Greatest Show On Turf” offense. From that point forward, Lewis kept Zampese on his radar, and once he landed in Cincinnati, the two found a home.

Zampese spent his first eight years as a coach in the college ranks, including one season as an offensive coordinator at Northern Arizona. He moved into coaching in the NFL in 1998 as an assistant with the Philadelphia Eagles. In recent years, he interviewed for the coordinator positions in Detroit and Chicago, but wasn't hired, instead staying with the Bengals and working with Dalton.

This will mark Zampese’s first time calling plays in the NFL, but he can rely on a trustworthy resource for pressure. He only needs to call home. His father, Ernie, served as co-author of the Air Coryell offense developed in San Diego in the late-70s and early-80s and rose to one of the top passing-game gurus in NFL history. He won a Super Bowl, authoring the 1995 Dallas Cowboys' offense led by Troy Aikman.

Zampese learned coaching life from father

Though most conversations between father and son these days don’t center around route concepts or audible calls. Those aren’t the focus of Zampese’s management style. His father taught him better than that.

“I call him all the time,” Zampese said. “He’s been through everything. He has such great perspective now on the other side of it, what’s really important. What he says to me when I ask him what does he miss, he always says camaraderie and it’s always about relationships is the message he passes on to me so the continuation of developing a relationship with each guy you run into during the course of the day and building bridges in the building are where I’m going.”

Those relationships are why Zampese is still in Cincinnati and why he earned this shot.

“This organization,” Zampese said. “They treat me like it’s a family. That’s important to me.”

by Elvis
8 years 1 month ago
Administrator

Zampese coached with the Rams for a couple season under Martz and then went to Cinci as QB coach. I figured he'd go shooting up the coaching tree but he's been a QB coach for over 10 years, until now. That always seemed a little odd to me.

BTW, our old friend Jim Haslett is the LB coach for the Bengals now...

by Stranger
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   Norcal
Superstar

I wish we still had his dad. Oh, those were fun time.

by dieterbrock
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Ever notice how many of the hot candidates stay with their current team because of the relationship with their HC?
Conversely, none of the hot candidates want to coach under Fisher nor are any of his assistants considered for other places
I sure hope the recent hiring of coaches is an indication that Snead and the FO are dictating who the position coaches are

by den-the-coach
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

Funny Ken Zampese seemed always to be on everyone's short list, but could never land an OC gig and now the Bengals finally promote him after other OC's have moved on to Head Coaching's Gigs. Guess we will see if Ken has what it takes going forward, but I'm guessing no because IMO, he should've gotten a gig already.

by Elvis
8 years 1 month ago
Administrator

den-the-coach wrote:Funny Ken Zampese seemed always to be on everyone's short list, but could never land an OC gig and now the Bengals finally promote him after other OC's have moved on to Head Coaching's Gigs. Guess we will see if Ken has what it takes going forward, but I'm guessing no because IMO, he should've gotten a gig already.

I gotta agree.

Kind of had my eye on him with his dad being Ernie Zampese and Ken having been on the GSOT staff, figured he'd go far and fast. Always wondered why he didn't...

by Hacksaw
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

He isn't the designer his dad was. Ernie was aggressive through the air but he would design a game plan to fit against the weakness of the opponent,, as it should be. Good at game day adjustments. The DNA and lifelong exposure doesn't hurt ..
MM's deal was greatly aided by a league of run stuffing defenses suddenly being attacked by air as suddenly and effectively as a certain attack back in '41. It didn't take long for teams to figure out it's vulnerability . Without Warner, Bruce, Holt, Hakim, Proehl, and Marshall MM might not have been nearly as effective. Probably not much to glean other than creative aggressiveness. Which is good.

by Indrid Cold
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   860  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

The Marvin Lewis coaching tree is looking pretty good. Who knew? Zimmer, Gruden, and Jackson all HCs now. I wouldn't be surprised if Zampese is out interviewing for HC gigs in 2 years. Might turn out to be a pretty savvy move on his part...stay and wait to be OC in Cincy where he's nicely setup with players, continuity and comfortable rather than take a promotion to be OC for a bottom feeder.

by Stranger
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   Norcal
Superstar

Indrid Cold wrote:The Marvin Lewis coaching tree is looking pretty good. Who knew? Zimmer, Gruden, and Jackson all HCs now. I wouldn't be surprised if Zampese is out interviewing for HC gigs in 2 years. Might turn out to be a pretty savvy move on his part...stay and wait to be OC in Cincy where he's nicely setup with players, continuity and comfortable rather than take a promotion to be OC for a bottom feeder.

He can replace Fisher :)

• 1 / 2
12 posts Mar 28 2024