30 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by Elvis
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38917  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

5. CAM AKERS | Florida State 5103 | 217 lbs. | JR. Clinton, Miss. (Clinton) 6/22/1999 (age 20.84) #3

BACKGROUND: Cameron “Cam” Akers was a legendary prep player in the state of Mississippi, starring for four seasons as Clinton High School’s varsity dual-threat quarterback. After accounting for 4,161 total yards and 48 touchdowns his first two seasons, he earned all-state honors as a junior in 2015 with 2,331 passing yards, 1,418 rushing yards and 36 total touchdowns (20 passing, 16 rushing). As a senior, Akers led Clinton to the program’s first Class 6A state championship while collecting numerous awards, including Mississippi’s Mr. Football, Mississippi Gatorade Player of the Year and USA Today’s first-team offense at quarterback. His final stats as a senior included 3,128 passing yards, 2,105 rushing yards and 65 total touchdowns, leading all Mississippi high school players in scoring. Akers finished his prep career with 8,140 passing yards, 5,103 rushing yards, 78 passing touchdowns and 71 rushing touchdowns.

A five-star running back recruit, Akers was one of the prized targets in the 2017 recruiting cycle. Despite being a high school quarterback, he was primarily recruited as a running back and was the No. 3 overall player (No. 2 running back) in the class behind only Jaelen Phillips (UCLA) and Najee Harris (Alabama). Akers was wooed by every major program in the country before he narrowed his list down to a final six: Alabama, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee. A few weeks prior to signing day, he committed to Florida State. Akers elected to skip his final season of eligibility and enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS) CAR YDS AVG TD REC YDS AVG TD NOTES
2017: (13/4) 194 1,024 5.3 7 16 116 7.2 1 Broke Dalvin Cook’s freshman rushing record; Led team in rushing
2018: (12/10) 161 706 4.4 6 23 145 6.3 2 Bobby Bowden Leadership Award; Led team in rushing
2019: (11/11) 231 1,144 5.0 14 30 225 7.5 4 Second team All-ACC; Led team in rushing
Total: (36/25) 586 2,874 4.9 27 69 486 7.0 7
HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 5103 217 30 5/8 09 74 5/8 4.47 2.62 1.47 35 1/2 10’02” 4.42 - 20 (no 3-cone – choice)
PRO DAY N/A (Pro Day canceled)

STRENGTHS: Dynamic athlete with elusive feet…his ankle-breaking lateral cuts make defenders look like they’re playing on ice…forces missed tackles with his instinctive open-field quickness…elastic body type with fluid torso flexibility…squares his shoulders, drops his pads and barrels forward to finish runs…clears holes with immediate acceleration when the blocking is defined and the runway is offered…runs with noticeable confidence and poise…doesn’t break stride at the catch point…experienced running the wildcat (5-for-8, 97 yards passing)…mature work ethic and commits himself in the weight room…played through an ankle sprain in 2018…great teammate and humble competitor, battling through an inefficient offense much of his time at FSU though he still led the team in rushing each of his three seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Spotty vision and doesn’t have a great feel as an inside runner…needs to introduce more patience at the line of scrimmage, making too much contact with his own blockers…late to anticipate developing holes, slamming the gas instead of giving his blockers more time…average-sized frame for NFL work…inconsistent hands away from his body with six drops in 2019…poor technique and anchor in pass protection, attempting to catch rushers…ball security needs improved with 10 career fumbles.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Florida State, Akers was the feature back in former offensive coordinator Kendal Briles’ spread, up-tempo offense. Despite below-average offensive line and quarterback play the last three seasons, he joined Warrick Dunn and Dalvin Cook as just the third player in school history with multiple 1,000-yard rushing seasons. One of the most talented players any time he takes the field, Akers is a sudden runner with explosive lateral moves (his best trait) to cut away from defenders, forcing overpursuit. However, he is too much of a checkers (aggressive, spontaneous) runner with his attacking mindset and needs to introduce more chess (patient, strategic) to his run style. Overall, Akers would be a higher ranked prospect with better vision or run compass, but he is a physically impressive athlete with the shifty moves and toughness to create yardage, projecting as a souped-up version of Duke Johnson in the NFL.
GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round

by JackPMiller
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Not happy about this pick. I'd prefer we work on the OLine, the the defense, secondary. By the way, Josh Jones and Kristian Fuller was there for us to take.

by BobCarl
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4331  
Superstar

BobCarl-two days ago wrote:I love what i see from the video below ... he is shifty, patient, and has instant acceleration ... but can he block? I'm guessing yes. Can he run inside? I think he can, but the video shows him in mostly scat type plays.

I think he will be drafted higher than most "think tanks" expect.

sorry @JackPMiller I am VERY happy with this pick.

by moklerman
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Yeah, Rams seem to be much more confident in their o-line than I am. What does this say about their confidence in Brown, Henderson and Kelly?

Don't know much about Akers but he looks kind of small on tape. Fingers crossed, like any other draft pick.

by JackPMiller
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
Superstar

Needs to be Josh Jones or Kristian Fuller at 57

by Haden
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2144  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

moklerman wrote:Yeah, Rams seem to be much more confident in their o-line than I am. What does this say about their confidence in Brown, Henderson and Kelly?

Don't know much about Akers but he looks kind of small on tape. Fingers crossed, like any other draft pick.

Tells you that Henderson is another whiff by Snead???

by BobCarl
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4331  
Superstar

Haden wrote:Tells you that Henderson is another whiff by Snead???
I'm not ready to give up on Henderson ... but I see him more as a gadget/downfield-gadget Az-Hakim version of a RB

• 1 / 3
30 posts Jul 08 2024