33 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by St. Loser Fan
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   10559  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/ ... 1e4cc.html

Arrest warrant issued for Odell Beckham Jr. after locker room butt slap; Browns release statement

New Orleans police on Thursday morning obtained an arrest warrant accusing NFL player Odell Beckham Jr. of simple battery in relation to a locker room interaction he had with a Mercedes-Benz Superdome police officer Monday night.

A police spokesman said the warrant was issued after a video showed Beckham apparently slapping a male officer's buttocks after LSU's championship game.

In the video, an officer is admonishing LSU right guard Damien Lewis after the team beat Clemson for college football's national championship title.

At the end of the video, Beckham appeared to hit the officer on his buttocks.

Team members were smoking victory cigars in the locker room, and reports said an officer told the players that anyone caught smoking was subject to arrest.

Another officer later stepped in to tell players it was OK to smoke in the locker room, according to an AL.com report, and nobody was arrested and the party continued.

A law enforcement source said authorities originally sought a warrant for a misdemeanor sexual battery charge, but it was declined by a judge. The warrant was redrafted asserting a count of simple battery, and it was approved.

Police said they began the investigation after the Superdome reached out to them on Tuesday.

The difference between the crimes is not insignificant.

Louisiana law defines misdemeanor sexual battery as the intentional touching of the breasts or buttocks of a victim who did not consent to the contact. While it carries a maximum of six months in jail, it is relatively more serious than other misdemeanors because it is not expungeable in the event of a conviction.

Louisiana law defines simple battery as "battery committed without the consent of the victim." That crime, upon conviction, calls for up to six months in prison and a maximum fine of $1,000. It also expungeable for first-time offenders.

The Cleveland Browns release a statement on the situation, saying they are aware of the incident.

"We are aware of the incident and have been in touch with Odell and his representatives on the matter," the statement read. "They are cooperating with the proper authorities to appropriately address the situation."

Beckham, a New Orleans native, stood out as a receiver at Isidore Newman School before helping LSU reach the 2011 national championship game as a freshman. Coincidentally, that game was at the Superdome, and the Tigers lost to Alabama.

The New York Giants later selected Beckham in the first round of the 2014 NFL draft. He developed a huge fan following in the Big Apple. He left the Giants and joined the Cleveland Browns before the beginning of the past NFL season.

Besides his penchant for big plays, he’s developed a reputation for having an unpredictable and mercurial personality.

Thursday’s arrest warrant is only one of two controversies in which he was involved after LSU invited him to their sideline and into their locker room when they beat Clemson for the national championship game Monday night at the Superdome.

The other involved a video depicting him giving cash to players on the field after the game concluded.

LSU’s athletic department said it is unclear whether that money was novelty bills that were found on the field or actual, real cash. University athletic officials said they were working with both the NCAA and the Southeastern Conference over the controversy.

Check back for more details on this developing story.

I hope the officer is able to recover soon and return to work sometime in the next few weeks.

by AvengerRam
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Sarcasm noted.

Yes, it seems a bit odd and excessive to charge someone with a crime for something like that. Perhaps someone at LSU, displeased over OBJ's handing out of cash to players (potentially an NCAA violation), pushed for it.

That said... man am I glad we didn't pursue this clown. If there was ever a guy who is the antithesis of "we, not me" it OBJ.

by Rams the Legends live on
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   1987  
United States of America   Colorado Springs
Pro Bowl

There has to be truly more to this story than what is printed here. Otherwise this is pretty sad. However I trust fully the American media has just jumped on this to get it out and the facts will follow in stories to come. This story just lacks any real journalism in my opinion and is just sad all the way around the reporting and the whole incident. Will have to wait and see if more comes out to get to a place to even form a real opinion on the matter.

by snackdaddy
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   9689  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

How long before football players have to sign a waiver saying they won't press charges against an opposing player for touching them without their consent?

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

Rams the Legends live on wrote:There has to be truly more to this story than what is printed here. Otherwise this is pretty sad. However I trust fully the American media has just jumped on this to get it out and the facts will follow in stories to come. This story just lacks any real journalism in my opinion and is just sad all the way around the reporting and the whole incident. Will have to wait and see if more comes out to get to a place to even form a real opinion on the matter.

The story hit like a few hours ago and all they are doing is reporting the charges we filed. Exactly what has the fake news media made up?

by Elvis
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   38764  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Michael Bennet was charged with a felony for "injury to the elderly" while going onto the field after the SB in Houston. Chargers were dropped, like 2 years later...

by Rams the Legends live on
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   1987  
United States of America   Colorado Springs
Pro Bowl

St. Loser Fan wrote:The story hit like a few hours ago and all they are doing is reporting the charges we filed. Exactly what has the fake news media made up?

I have no clue since I did not call this fake news or imply such perhaps you could fill that narrative since you suggested it was fake. My implication is that stories often jump the shark to be the first one to get it out there. Which I came by that opinion from listening to various journalist expound how that is a problem in today's reporting. Which this story reads to me just like that. So I as have said, have reserved my opinion till more comes out. I believe my original post lines up with I what just said here a second time. So how you read fake is beyond me and is a question you will have to answer.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

Rams the Legends live on wrote:I have no clue since I did not call this fake news or imply such perhaps you could fill that narrative since you suggested it was fake. My implication is that stories often jump the shark to be the first one to get it out there. Which I came by that opinion from listening to various journalist expound how that is a problem in today's reporting. Which this story reads to me just like that. So I as have I said reserved my opinion till more comes out. I believe my original post lines up with I just said here a second time. So how you read fake is beyond me and is a question you will have to answer.

So what is your issue with the how the media is handling this? What did they do wrong here? All I’m seeing is a simple presentation of the facts: OBJ has been charged with assault for patting the butt of a cop.

• 1 / 4
33 posts May 17 2024