by Elvis
9 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   39466  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2015/06/ ... s-meeting/

Timing seems to be motivation for who Chargers are bringing to Monday’s meeting

Posted on June 6, 2015 by Vincent Bonsignore

As I reported Friday, the Chargers are bringing some key players to their meeting with San Diego officials on Monday about the Mission Valley stadium plan.

In case you missed it, the Chargers are expected to bring a Goldman Sachs banker and attorneys from the law firm of Latham & Watkins to Monday’s meeting with City of San Diego representatives, the second stadium meeting within the last week.

The Chargers experts from Goldman and Latham are part of the same group that helped structure the team’s proposal for an LA stadium in
Carson.

Latham’s lead lawyer, George Mihlsten, is a prominent expert on California land use and ballot initiative law.

The question is, why the need for this type of expertise at this point in negotiations?

Keep in mind, this is all about timing.

If I’m the Chargers and San Diego leaders, it’s incumbent I get this wrapped up before the end of 2015. The NFL is on a fast track back to Los Angeles, and with momentum growing for the Chargers-Raiders stadium in Carson and Rams’ owner Stan Kroenke pushing his Inglewood stadium plan, time is running out on San Diego getting a viable stadium plan done before the NFL will decide between Carson or Inglewood, or the Chargers, Raiders and Rams work out an amicable solution in which all their needs and wants are satisfied.

That means the Chargers need assurances San Diego’s plan can be delivered in time.

Which beings us back to Mihlsten, who is an expert on California land use and ballot initiative law.

It doesn’t take a law degree to figure out the Chargers are likely trying to figure out whether any kind of deal can be placed before the voters in 2015 – rather than 2016, as expected – given the requirements of California’s Environmental Quality Act and the state Elections Code.

In other words, there is no point negotiating a comprehensive financial package – if one could even be negotiated – if there is no way to get it on the ballot in time for the NFL to make a decision about LA.

That is why Monday’s meeting might be so critical to the process.

It shouldn’t take long to figure out if this can get to a vote by the end of 2015. If so, it’s full steam ahead hammering out a deal. If not, what’s the point?

by snackdaddy
9 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   9787  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Not even sure what this all means. So if San Diego gets everything in place and they can build the stadium Spanos wants, does this pretty much pave a wide open road for Kroenke? Would the Raiders eventually join the Rams in Inglewood? I've heard Kroenke doesn't want to share the stadium for the first couple years. And I doubt Oakland will build the Raiders a new stadium.

Of course, Spanos doesn't want the Rams to move the LA even if SD builds him a stadium. He's afraid the Rams will take some of the Chargers LA fan base.

by Hacksaw
9 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

If the Chargers strike a deal in San Diego, Inglewood is done deal. Of course StL has something to say about that but not loud enough.
The Raiders can still play games in Oakland for a while longer or strike a deal there. Other wise go to San Antonio or StL,, somewhere , anywhere but here.
Stan needs to offer a bit of his jersey sales to Spanos and get over it. There is no significant number of Chargers fans in LA.

by den-the-coach
9 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

I'm hoping this meeting goes well I'm almost getting the feeling that Spanos feels that Carson could actually get the backing of the NFL over Inglewood, although I don't see how. In the end I concur with Hacksaw I'm hoping San Diego steps up big time and then we'll truly see if Spanos is true to his word because to this point the only man true to his word has been ESK regardless of what the pundits of St. Louis continue to pontificate about.

by Hacksaw
9 years 3 months ago

den-the-coach wrote:I'm hoping this meeting goes well I'm almost getting the feeling that Spanos feels that Carson could actually get the backing of the NFL over Inglewood, although I don't see how. In the end I concur with Hacksaw I'm hoping San Diego steps up big time and then we'll truly see if Spanos is true to his word because to this point the only man true to his word has been ESK regardless of what the pundits of St. Louis continue to pontificate about.

Remember den, the cities are the only folks making noise. Even Inglewood does from time to time. It's anyones guess what the league wants now but I'm resting with the memory of their dislike of the Rams moving in the first place in 95. Georgia was not the most beloved owner.
Inglewood offers the most certain financial backing at no cost to anyone, incl the NFL. That frees up more money to go elsewhere like towards helping SD or more so Oakland.
What Spanos feels is tough toenails. He is well liked. OK let's say he is, but does that trump Stan's money and grand plan? Heck no, especially consider Inglewood offers a back up plan for Spanos if he cant work it out in SD. If he doesn't want Stan in the Rams former market due to loss of some fans, what is the number that wil offset that. His assertion of 25% is as much crap as what lies in the ground in Carson CA. Make a deal for a share of Rams merchandise for 5 years or sell Chargers gear at the Inglewood digs for a while or something.
What the league want's is more important that what Spanos want's. Wouldn't a team in SD, a team in LA and the 2 teams in SF be the best solution? ( It would be for me) If need be, scratch SD and put them in LA. Let's not forget the Rams are a former team with fans , easier spin, only StL get F'd right now. Seems like a no brainer.
Not to mention StL and Carson won't have their stuff together by August when I truly believe they will make a silent decision, , , if they haven't already.

by Hacksaw
9 years 2 months ago

I have always loved that song den. it's like the theme song of the California sixties. I was there loud and proud.

• 1 / 1
7 posts Sep 07 2024