Pro Bowl

by Elvis
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38903  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Postgame Press Conference – October 26, 2020

(Opening Remarks)
“Great job by our team to get the win tonight. I thought our defense was outstanding, from start to finish they did such a great job. Some key turnovers, some key fourth down stops. (OLB) Leonard Floyd came through in a big way against his former team. I thought offensively, we did enough early on in the game to get that lead. We were just really trying to get the clock, kind of just run out that game and make sure when you’re up 24-3, that we closed it out. But, some good, tough hard running. I was really pleased with the way that (TE) Johnny Mundt stepped up in a big way. Missing (TE) Tyler Higbee tonight is a huge loss for our football team, but Johnny Mundt stepped up, did a great job. (P) Johnny Hekker was outstanding tonight. Ultimately, the goal is to get to 5-2. We’ve got a short week getting ready for a good football team in Miami, so that’s where our focus will go right after this.”

(On how much Hekker was able to help out tonight)
“It was huge. I mean, five punts, all of them inside the 20 (yard line). He was able to flip the field – a long of 63 (yards). He was phenomenal tonight, exactly what we expect. We don’t ever take it for granted, but he came through, and I wasn’t surprised, but we’re definitely appreciative of the effort that he had tonight. It was a big-time deal.”

(On what the message and mindset of the team was going into tonight’s game, and why he thinks they were able to execute tonight)
“Yeah, I think it’s the players. The coaches did a great job getting them ready this week, but ultimately the players came out, they performed, and they were ready to go from the jump. I thought it was reflected with the urgency that we had in the week of practice. We jumped out to a lead, we were able to kind of control that. Defense was outstanding all night. They got stop after stop, big time turnovers, fourth down stops and turnovers in the red zone. (CB) Jalen (Ramsey) and (S) Taylor Rapp ended up coming up with interceptions, so you can’t say enough about their effort. The one touchdown they did give was on our offense. So, defense came through in a big way, and I was really pleased with our team’s overall effort. And then we have got to be a little bit better in those four-minute situations when we’re trying to run out the clock offensively. Those are things that I can’t wait to get corrected. But, when we were really just trying to move the football, I thought offensively we did a good job controlling the flow of the game.”

(On what pleased him the most about the defense tonight)
“It’s hard to say one thing. I think I was pleased with everything that they did. I thought they flew around. I thought we were great, really in every area of the game. They held them to three points. That was all that they got. We had some huge stops when they were down in the tight red area, so they just did a great job. I mean, to get us that short field, when we ended up getting them where they had the fourth-down-and-one, they were going to go for it, because of the tackle that Jalen makes on the sideline when we ended up challenging it. So, when you go back and look at the tape, I think there’s going to be a lot of things reflected in a great performance and now let’s see if we can do it again next week against the Dolphins.”

(On a video going around of S Taylor Rapp missing a high five from him)
“I would say I’ll blame myself on that. He did a great job making that. (CB) Troy Hill made the tip and then, I’ve got to be a better athlete, I guess then and go get him.”

(On if that was the type of performance he envisioned when bringing in Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley)
“What would you say to that question, if you were answering it? The answers yes. It was great. I thought really our defensive staff as a whole, I thought they did a great job, Brandon called a great game, but they put together a great plan and then ultimately the players executed it. So, I thought there was urgency. I thought there was attention to detail throughout the whole week and then I thought it showed up on game day, which is the most important thing. So, really hats off to Brandon, our defensive players, our defensive coaches, so pleased for them and they did an outstanding job tonight.”

(On spreading the ball around on the offense and if he was happy with the overall performance of the offense)
“Yeah. It was painful in that last quarter, where you know you’re just running it and just trying to conserve clock, but it is about winning the football game. I thought up until that point, I thought we did a good job. The red-zone score that (TE) Gerald Everett had, I thought was big, being able to hit (WR) Josh Reynolds earlier in the game was a big deal, so overall was pleased with that. This is a great defense, wanted to try to minimize some of the opportunities for their elite guys to be able to rush and get home and they even found a way to still score defensively, but we knew what a great outfit they were. We knew how responsible they were for a lot of their wins that they had and the way that they got it done, wanted to minimize those chances and I thought those guys did a really good job executing the plan really through the first three quarters and then I’ve got to do a better job for us, but I think we’ve got to execute better in some of those four-minutes situation, even if it starts late in the third and early in the fourth quarter where you’re in the last 20 minutes of the game, kind of just trying to run the clock out and get away with a win.”

(On RB Malcolm Brown’s run near the goal line)
“Yeah, I thought that was reflective of just the entire unit, getting a great push. I thought it would be one of those games where Malcolm would show up in a big way and he ends up having 57 yards on 5.7 (yards) a carry. Great touchdown run and Malcolm has just consistently delivered when his number’s been called and was really pleased with him tonight.”

by Elvis
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38903  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Rams QB Jared Goff – Postgame Press Conference – October 26, 2020

(On what it was like seeing Punter Johnny Hekker’s performance tonight)
“Johnny (Hekker) is the best punter in the league and he showed it tonight. He really was a weapon for us. A few of those punts obviously late in the game, but just everything he does throughout the game and obviously his punting today was a big difference.”

(On what it does to the offense to see the defense come up with a handful of stops and takeaways)
“It’s huge. It’s momentum. We talk about it all the time. It’s points off of turnovers, points off of turnovers, whether it’s a fourth-down stop or actually a turnover. We had a couple of them there, the interceptions. We were able to capitalize on one of them, on I believe the interception and those are huge. That fourth-down stop in their own territory, we’d like to get points out of that. That would have probably sealed the game a little, but earlier but our defense played as well as they have all year and it’s exciting.”

(On how the offense operated tonight)
“I thought we did well. That defense is tough. We had to do some different things for them and make sure we were on our Q’s and T’s all night. I thought we ran the ball really well and then I thought in the pass game, we did a good job after the catch, making plays after the catch. There was a couple careless errors by me that we got away with but that’s the game. I thought we were able to distribute the ball pretty well and make some plays.”

(On working with WR Josh Reynolds during the week)
“Josh (Reynolds) is great. He’s a guy, I know we talk about Robert (Woods) and Cooper (Kupp) all the time, but Josh, I’ve been with him as long as I’ve been with Cooper and he’s just kind of finally getting his chance to really be out there and really have plays kind of tailored for him and really understand the in and out of every route and every play and he’s done a great job. He’s a guy I have full trust in and we can run him on anything.”

(On what it was like to see Hekker receive love from his teammates)
“It was awesome. I was a part of that as well and I’m not usually getting off the bench for a punt and that one he hit, the big one he hit in the fourth quarter, I believe, that came down and stopped inside the five, it’s exciting. We understand how important field position is and as an offense, I can tell you how that can be sometimes when they do down it inside the five. I believe we had three of them tonight inside the five. I told him ‘Johnny, you earned your money tonight. You did your thing.’ He was laughing, he did a great job.”

(On RB Malcolm Brown’s run in the red zone where teammates drove the pile to gain extra yards after contact)
“He got off the ground there. I think someone was holding him. He got in that big pile. Yeah, it’s always fun. Usually, I would say more times than not, you have the offense that ends up being able to have more guys on that side of the push. I was able to stick my nose in there and get a part of that push as well towards the end. I was excited about that. It was a good play. It was cool. It’s always exciting when those ones happen, you hear the bench start roaring. It’s good momentum.”

(On TE Johnny Mundt fit in with the offense)
“Johnny Mundt is a guy that we have a lot of faith in. We said this earlier in the week when we had an idea that he was going to have to play, but last year against the Bears he had to step in and play a lot too and we said, ‘This guy is ready for the Bears at all times.’ Johnny played really well. I thought that ball he caught and made a play after the catch was awesome. He’s a great player for us and a guy that we rely on quite a bit and today he had to step up for Higs (TE Tyler Higbee) and he did a good job.”

(On the tempo change that went into WR Josh Reynolds’ touchdown catch)
“I believe they had a blitz on, a zero blitz, and we had Josh in the backfield and put the running back at receiver and came out and snapped it quick. It’s a play we’ve worked on all week. The guy who was supposed to be blitzing ended up trying to fall off on Josh there, peal on him and it worked out. That’s the tempo that we talk about. When we’re able to do that – if we weren’t on tempo there, they may have been able to cover it, just how the play played out, but yeah it was a good one.”

by PARAM
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   12315  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

The one complaint I have about this game is......I can't remember the last time I've seen an offense flagged for "offsides" and it happened twice last night!!!

Poor Burgess was playing lights out but judging by the air cast, he's done.
Terrell Lewis had the stop of the night.
There were open Chicago receivers but most QBs can't hit them if they can't step into the throw.
I was hoping we would run the ball against the Bears and was quite satisfied with how that turned out. That's the most rushing yards Chicago has allowed this year. It's the second most attempts they've allowed....Indy ran 38 times against them but only gained 103 yards...and won.
They allowed 4 passing TDs in 6 games before allowing 2 last night.
In their first 6 games the Bears held opposing QBs to a completion percentage under 60% 4 times and the best they allowed was 62.5%. Goff completed 69.7% last night.
The best QB rating they allowed before last night (108.1) was 86.3.
If Sloman makes the FG, we put up 27 against a very good defense but what was even better was they allowed a paltry 9 TDs in 6 games and the Rams put 3 on the board last night.

Good performance. Room for improvement? Sure, always. But if you aren't satisfied with last night's effort, you're tough to satisfy.

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   10599  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Why can’t I shake this feeling that last night’s win was hollow? Even with the margin, why did it feel more like “just” a Bears loss than a Rams victory?

PARAM: I know what you’re saying. I’m not asking for perfection. I’m also someone who doesn’t get too high or too low. But there’s something about the victory over the Bears that I can’t figure.

by ziggy
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   597  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

I don't think it was hollow-- but, yes, I hear the pundits. This was a game that Rams was supposed to win. The 5-1 (prev to game) Bears were absolutely suspect as the head of NFC North. And the Bears, absolutely, 'lost' this game rather than the Ram's 'winning' it.

Goff continues to be inconsistent-- 23/33 isn't going to cut it against our tough division.

The good news, is our Running looked stout. Our 'D' looked great (this game). Hekker showed there is life in ST. Hopefully, we'll continue our success in Miami and that will give us momentum and confidence for the tough back-half of the schedule.

Goff needs to improve if we want to have success in our division and in the post-season...

by snackdaddy
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9712  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The one complaint I have about this game is......I can't remember the last time I've seen an offense flagged for "offsides" and it happened twice last night!!!

Poor Burgess was playing lights out but judging by the air cast, he's done.
Terrell Lewis had the stop of the night.
There were open Chicago receivers but most QBs can't hit them if they can't step into the throw.
I was hoping we would run the ball against the Bears and was quite satisfied with how that turned out. That's the most rushing yards Chicago has allowed this year. It's the second most attempts they've allowed....Indy ran 38 times against them but only gained 103 yards...and won.
They allowed 4 passing TDs in 6 games before allowing 2 last night.
In their first 6 games the Bears held opposing QBs to a completion percentage under 60% 4 times and the best they allowed was 62.5%. Goff completed 69.7% last night.
The best QB rating they allowed before last night (108.1) was 86.3.
If Sloman makes the FG, we put up 27 against a very good defense but what was even better was they allowed a paltry 9 TDs in 6 games and the Rams put 3 on the board last night.

Good performance. Room for improvement? Sure, always. But if you aren't satisfied with last night's effort, you're tough to satisfy.

Those two offsides on the offense were head scratchers to me too. Can't remember the last time I saw an offensive player do that.

Burgess made a couple impressive open field tackles. I feel bad for the kid. He was finally starting to break out and this happens. Hope we get Fuller back real soon.

We ran the ball very well against one of the best defenses. When we run like that our offense can be tough to stop.

The Bears might not have a very good offense. But they were scoring 21 points a game before last night. Our defense held them to 18 points below their average. Can we call this defense Jekyll and Hyde? Sometimes they're great. Sometimes they have me yanking my hair. Which probably isn't a bad thing since I've been needing a haircut for quite a while now.

by aeneas1
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

much, much better than last week when the niners did this to us...

• 7 / 8
73 posts Jun 26 2024