629 posts
  • 59 / 63
 by AltiTude Ram
9 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   2198  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

rams74 wrote:Well, being out of market, I've never had the option to get SportsNet, so no Dodgers for me, either. :(

NFL Network was the best way for me to see the preseason games, so I added Sports Pack. I do like NFLN, anyway, though, so I'm not sure if I'm going to drop it now or not. But yes, it's a bad deal for just one channel.

Amen to all of that.

I use IPTV for $30 for 3 devices. Firestick download and I get the Dodgers, Rams and just about everything else. It does require a good WiFi connection but it works the best since I dropped DirectTV.

by azramsfan93
9 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   1495  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:Do you have any idea if i'm right about the multicast using data like multiple streams would?

There is a direct connection between streaming performance and the quantity of data being streamed. For example, I went into settings on my Apple TV and reduced the audio/video quality to "4K SDR" because "4K HDR" caused intermittent audio freezes on 4K streams that were a bit annoying.

You wrote you have 100 Mbs bandwidth service. This is 10X less data than I get on mine, but my data service costs $120/month. This would be the most like culprit on your streaming performance. You could try reducing the audio/video quality in the settings of your Apple TV to 1080p and see if it helps, or you could check into higher bandwidth internet service.

On the Wi-Fi router side - the latest 802.11ax standard supports up to 3000 Mbs and costs about $100 on Amazon (ASUS 6). Not likely your issue unless yours is really old.

by Elvis
9 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   38903  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

azramsfan93 wrote:There is a direct connection between streaming performance and the quantity of data being streamed. For example, I went into settings on my Apple TV and reduced the audio/video quality to "4K SDR" because "4K HDR" caused intermittent audio freezes on 4K streams that were a bit annoying.

You wrote you have 100 Mbs bandwidth service. This is 10X less data than I get on mine, but my data service costs $120/month. This would be the most like culprit on your streaming performance. You could try reducing the audio/video quality in the settings of your Apple TV to 1080p and see if it helps, or you could check into higher bandwidth internet service.

On the Wi-Fi router side - the latest 802.11ax standard supports up to 3000 Mbs and costs about $100 on Amazon (ASUS 6). Not likely your issue unless yours is really old.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure my main issue (and it's only if i multicast) is wifi signal is bad where my ATV is. I'll figure it out. Supposedly ATT Fiber is coming soon which will triple my internet speed but it's not here yet.

I'm still curious if the multicast is like watching on multiple devices at the same time. If i muticast 2 games is that like watching on two devices at the same time data wise?

Last Sunday i had Rams on TV and Redzone on iPad with no issues but i'm also gonna figure out how to get a stronger signal to my TV since i'm all streaming all the time now...

by azramsfan93
9 months 1 week ago
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:I'm still curious if the multicast is like watching on multiple devices at the same time. If i muticast 2 games is that like watching on two devices at the same time data wise?

This is a good question. The technical specifics on the data usage per stream in multi view is not something YTTV is pushing out. I would guess that each panel in multi view is likely lower resolution - bandwidth costs money both to transmit and receive. It's just a guess.

by St. Loser Fan
9 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   10599  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

azramsfan93 wrote:There is a direct connection between streaming performance and the quantity of data being streamed. For example, I went into settings on my Apple TV and reduced the audio/video quality to "4K SDR" because "4K HDR" caused intermittent audio freezes on 4K streams that were a bit annoying.

Which Apple TV do you have? I have a 2017 model and it occasionally shows it’s age with sports. When I stream sports I use the PS5 and it’s smooth like butter. And I’m “only” on a 300meg internet service.

I’m going to upgrade to the next model of Apple TV when it comes out.

by azramsfan93
9 months 1 week ago
Pro Bowl

I have the same one you do - the first 4K model that was first released in 2017. It works just fine for me. Apple came out with the 3rd gen 4K model last fall. It has a faster processor but I am sure what else....

St. Loser Fan wrote:Which Apple TV do you have? I have a 2017 model and it occasionally shows it’s age with sports. When I stream sports I use the PS5 and it’s smooth like butter. And I’m “only” on a 300meg internet service.

I’m going to upgrade to the next model of Apple TV when it comes out.

by Elvis
9 months 1 week ago
Administrator

I got my wifi situation straightened out, upgraded my gear (didn't have 4k before) and have to say the experience was excellent. I'm amazed how slow my wifi was at the tv while still giving me very usable results. Picture now is great, no multicast issues and like i said, it was good before except for multicast. I'm curious if my delay has shortened due to newer ATV processor and/or faster internet.

I have noticed channels switch and load faster on new setup...

by actionjack
9 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   4084  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Elvis wrote:I got my wifi situation straightened out, upgraded my gear (didn't have 4k before) and have to say the experience was excellent. I'm amazed how slow my wifi was at the tv while still giving me very usable results. Picture now is great, no multicast issues and like i said, it was good before except for multicast. I'm curious if my delay has shortened due to newer ATV processor and/or faster internet.

I have noticed channels switch and load faster on new setup...

What did you actually upgrade?

This weekend will be my big test for Sunday Ticket on YouTube TV as I was out of town most of Sunday. I had to watch the Rams game (local) on Hulu Live and was forced to watch ads so I could never catch up to live. I sure hope streaming finds a way to improve ffwrd and rewind...it's painful.

by RedAlice
9 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:What did you actually upgrade?

This weekend will be my big test for Sunday Ticket on YouTube TV as I was out of town most of Sunday. I had to watch the Rams game (local) on Hulu Live and was forced to watch ads so I could never catch up to live. I sure hope streaming finds a way to improve ffwrd and rewind...it's painful.

Sunday Ticket on YTTV is awesomeness.

by Elvis
9 months 1 week ago
Administrator

actionjack wrote:What did you actually upgrade?

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. The FF/Rew is definitely worse but i expected that and it's really exceeding expectations so far.

I got a new TV (was ridiculously cheap at Costco, bigger than my previous and 4k but not OLED and not high end). I also replaced my non 4k ATV with the latest 128mb one with Ethernet (since thought i might have to connect via cable, but wifi seems to be holding up now that i got it working better).

Picture quality and performance are all noticeably better and like i've said, i didn't think i was hurting before.

Still with football season here, me all streaming all the time now, figured it might be smart to up my game a bit.

• 59 / 63
629 posts Jun 26 2024