108 posts
  • 6 / 11
 by BobCarl
6 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4326  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:can you imagine having to stop this guy from where he wanted to go? :shock2:
I've stood face to face with him a couple of times .... um... to answer your question ... no.

by Elvis
6 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   38885  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/29/g ... k-surgery/

Greg Zuerlein returns to Rams practice after back surgery

By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: May 29, 2018 at 4:18 pm | UPDATED: May 29, 2018 at 4:25 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — Between the bustle of two practice fields, with Rams running about, one of the smallest guys on the grass made some of the most significant moves Tuesday.

Greg Zuerlein teed up a ball and booted it, kickoff-style. It’s something he’s done thousands of times in a six-year NFL career, but Zuerlein is only five months removed from back surgery. His progress during the Rams’ offseason program indicates that he will be ready to fully return for the start of the regular season.

“I don’t think there’s any reason why I wouldn’t be if I stay healthy,” Zuerlein said after a team practice at Cal Lutheran. “And I feel good. Everything should be fine.”

On many NFL teams, the summer status of a kicker wouldn’t be news, but Zuerlein has been a major part of the Rams’ offense in the past two seasons, to the point where quarterback Jared Goff said he felt at ease when the team crossed midfield, with the knowledge that they would at least get three points.

After a mid-career slump, Zuerlein rebounded in 2016 and was even better last season, when he made 38 of 40 field-goal attempts and was selected to the NFC’s Pro Bowl team.

Zuerlein didn’t make it to the game, though, because he underwent back surgery in December. More surprising was the revelation that Zuerlein had been kicking through back problems all season and still performed at a near-perfect level.

“It wasn’t comfortable,” Zuerlein said, “but it’s just one of those things. Everyone is dinged up or has something that is not 100 percent. I just went through the season and tried not to let it bother me until I got to the point where I couldn’t.”

That moment came before the Rams’ Dec. 17 game at Seattle when the Rams weren’t even sure if Zuerlein would be able to kick. He made two field-goal attempts and four of his five extra-point attempts, then needed a ride home from special teams coach John Fassel because he couldn’t drive.

The Rams signed free-agent kicker Sam Ficken to replace Zuerlein, and Ficken remains on the Rams’ roster because they didn’t know exactly how Zuerlein’s recovery would go.

It seems likely that Zuerlein will be held out of live drills during the final two weeks of the Rams’ offseason program, and while he stopped short of saying it directly, Zuerlein seemed to indicate that he could do more right now if the Rams desired it.

“It’s just following the program that the trainers set out for us,” Zuerlein said. “So I’ve just got to follow it. … Everything has been going well. No complaints. Feel good. Just happy to be out here.”

STILL UNIFIED?

The Rams held their first media session since the NFL announced its new policy about the pregame national anthem. Most players who were asked declined to give a strong opinion.

Last season, the Rams came to an understanding that all players would stand on the sideline for the anthem, but that players would be allowed to express themselves individually, such as when Robert Quinn raised his first. Now, players will have the option to remain in the locker room for the anthem but must stand for it if they come onto the field.

“It’s unfortunate,” defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh said. “I think that guys, in this world, should be able to have free speech and be able to act as they please. … It’s something that we have to deal with and it’s part of our job.”

Coach Sean McVay said the Rams had not settled on a team policy for how they would handle pregame activities and said it would be determined closer to the start of the season.

“It all goes back to making sure we’re all on the same page,” McVay said. “We want to continue to do things similar, but we also have an appreciation for how everybody has their own individual stance.”

INJURY REPORT

McVay confirmed that linebacker Morgan Fox suffered a torn ACL during a practice last week that was closed to media.

Several other players also sat out Tuesday’s practice. McVay said receiver Brandin Cooks “had a little bit of soreness in his groin. Nothing to be concerned about.”

Cornerback Aqib Talib missed the practice, which was optional, and McVay said he had no update on star defensive lineman Aaron Donald, who has sat out the entirety of the offseason program while he seeks a new contract.

by Horny Mcbae
6 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

Biggest news amidst all the boring and tired "so and so looks sharp" OTA/training camp cliches.

I hope he's ready to go week 1 and hasn't been affected by this injury.

by safer
6 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1280  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Guys, who is surprising you most in OTA's besides Lawler?
How does Noteboom look? I've read we have him listed at RT, behind Big Rob. I sure don't want us to go into this season seeing Williams as our #2 LT.

by RamsFanSince82
6 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

THOUSAND OAKS — Between the bustle of two practice fields, with Rams running about, one of the smallest guys on the grass made some of the most significant moves Tuesday.

Greg Zuerlein teed up a ball and booted it, kickoff-style. It’s something he’s done thousands of times in a six-year NFL career, but Zuerlein is only five months removed from back surgery. His progress during the Rams’ offseason program indicates that he will be ready to fully return for the start of the regular season.

“I don’t think there’s any reason why I wouldn’t be if I stay healthy,” Zuerlein said after a team practice at Cal Lutheran. “And I feel good. Everything should be fine.”

On many NFL teams, the summer status of a kicker wouldn’t be news, but Zuerlein has been a major part of the Rams’ offense in the past two seasons, to the point where quarterback Jared Goff said he felt at ease when the team crossed midfield, with the knowledge that they would at least get three points.

After a mid-career slump, Zuerlein rebounded in 2016 and was even better last season, when he made 38 of 40 field-goal attempts and was selected to the NFC’s Pro Bowl team.

Zuerlein didn’t make it to the game, though, because he underwent back surgery in December. More surprising was the revelation that Zuerlein had been kicking through back problems all season and still performed at a near-perfect level.

“It wasn’t comfortable,” Zuerlein said, “but it’s just one of those things. Everyone is dinged up or has something that is not 100 percent. I just went through the season and tried not to let it bother me until I got to the point where I couldn’t.”

That moment came before the Rams’ Dec. 17 game at Seattle when the Rams weren’t even sure if Zuerlein would be able to kick. He made two field-goal attempts and four of his five extra-point attempts, then needed a ride home from special teams coach John Fassel because he couldn’t drive.

The Rams signed free-agent kicker Sam Ficken to replace Zuerlein, and Ficken remains on the Rams’ roster because they didn’t know exactly how Zuerlein’s recovery would go.

It seems likely that Zuerlein will be held out of live drills during the final two weeks of the Rams’ offseason program, and while he stopped short of saying it directly, Zuerlein seemed to indicate that he could do more right now if the Rams desired it.

“It’s just following the program that the trainers set out for us,” Zuerlein said. “So I’ve just got to follow it. … Everything has been going well. No complaints. Feel good. Just happy to be out here.”

• 6 / 11
108 posts Jun 17 2024