105 posts
  • 6 / 11
 by ramsman34
10 months 11 hours ago
 Total posts:   8674  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Frustrating.

A. The Rams know more about the current players than we do
B. The Rams evaluated all potentially available edge players and decided either they weren’t an upgrade, they couldn’t afford them.
C. This is where we are. If any edge become available that fit the Rams criteria, they will try to get said player.

My personal opinion remains - they aren’t signing an edge player and they didn’t sign any that posters have mentioned because they didn’t fit the Rams’ criteria. Also, they are probably looking at NT as a possible signing. Lastly, I don't know who they would cut in either scenario - adding edge or NT.

by ramsman34
10 months 11 hours ago

ramsww wrote:As for “they like the young guys” I can’t agree. While no where near worth cutting, Young & Hamilton are NO WHERE NEAR being capable starters. They are ALL we have. I understand the cap and never mentioned Clowney. Van Noy had 5 sacks per yr for the last 3 yrs straight. Could have helped.

Cameron DeSilva seems to be saying EXACTLY what I’ve been saying and Snead quoted here in the article says it all. I’m NOT knocking their decisions, I just think we may still sign someone in that rehab or long in tooth category at a reasonable (affordable) price.

Snead:

“I could simply say, ‘Oh yeah, we’ll definitely take a really good, experienced outside linebacker,’ right? You’d probably always be in the market for that,” Snead said. “Now, their availability, I bet is a lot – our wishes for that is greater than their availability usually this time of year, but that’d be an interesting analytics study. If we take all the OLBs who are on the street today and then see how they do from this point forward. I think you get what I’m saying, but we would, again, always take an experienced outside linebacker who can affect the game, either on the line of scrimmage in the run game or the passer.”

There’s no doubt the market at edge rusher has dried up, but the Rams had opportunities to add a veteran (or two). Jadeveon Clowney, for instance, just signed with the Ravens for $2.5 million. Justin Houston got $6 million from the Panthers this summer. The Rams had chances to bring in help, but they obviously didn’t feel the available players were worth their contracts.

The Rams could end up regretting their prudent approach at this important position. When Aaron Donald is getting triple-teamed and his impact is being felt less because the Rams don’t have anyone to draw attention away from him, it’s going to hurt the defense.

There’s still time for Los Angeles to add help – Melvin Ingram, Carlos Dunlap and Malik Reed are all available – but it doesn’t sound like that’s in the cards for this team.

No offense, but Cameron D doesn’t know anymore than I do about the Rams position.

Also, you think the “non premium” edge players “would help”. Do you know if the Rams tried to sign them? Do you know how much cap space the Rams had and what these vets are asking for in a contract.? Do you know they are better than who we have more so than the Rams do? You say our young guns shouldn’t be cut but who should be - someone would have to be cut to bring on anyone.

The Rams are not signing some average player and losing one of their developmental guys. The guys you listed have experience. But they are not what the Rams are looking for at the $$ those players want. Or, they would have been signed.

Snead said sure we’d love a great OLB. He knows about ALL the players you listed and then some. And he didn’t sign any of them.

I think he and the Rams know better than you or me or PA, etc. PA and I just seem to see it more like the Rams do than you do.
That’s ok. You are passionate about your position. But you don’t know that the rookies “are nowhere near starting caliber”

But we are all going to find out.

Now, if the Rams can somehow make a trade for Brian Burns or similar?? Hell ya, do it. But, it will come at a steep price in players we have to cut and draft picks given up and then contract extension offered.

by Hacksaw
10 months 8 hours ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The big splash this year is how much money we are saving.

by Elvis
10 months 8 hours ago
 Total posts:   38915  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

ramsww wrote:Edge guys are up to speed day one. This is one reason I am sure we will sign one, maybe even 2 before Opening Day.

You still got 10 days to be right...

by ramsww
9 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   478  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

I’ve never said Hoecht or Young are bad, I’ve merely said they are not there yet. Hoecht is extremely valuable if used right. On the edge has he learned to lock down the outside running game? Maybe, I haven’t seen it. Has Young proven anything yet?

We need people who can get to the QB. Van Noy had a 12 m $ contract in 2022. The Pats cut him to save 5m. Now he’s back and I’m sure somewhere between 1-3m. A contributor and we need more, at least one.

by ramsman34
9 months 4 weeks ago

Who are you cutting?

by actionjack
9 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4084  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:Frustrating.

A. The Rams know more about the current players than we do
B. The Rams evaluated all potentially available edge players and decided either they weren’t an upgrade, they couldn’t afford them.
C. This is where we are. If any edge become available that fit the Rams criteria, they will try to get said player.

My personal opinion remains - they aren’t signing an edge player and they didn’t sign any that posters have mentioned because they didn’t fit the Rams’ criteria. Also, they are probably looking at NT as a possible signing. Lastly, I don't know who they would cut in either scenario - adding edge or NT.

This late in the game now... IMO means this is our 53. The Rams are gonna ride with this DL now good or bad. If they are somehow reasonably successful on the field and record wise, they may look for a splash move near the trade deadline, if not it is take your lumps, gain experience and upgrade in the off-season with lots of cap space.

by actionjack
9 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4084  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

actionjack wrote:This late in the game now... IMO means this is our 53. The Rams are gonna ride with this DL now good or bad. If they are somehow reasonably successful on the field and record wise, they may look for a splash move near the trade deadline, if not it is take your lumps, gain experience and upgrade in the off-season with lots of cap space.

Of course they just signed a new CB Duke Shelley to the active squad...

by ramsman34
9 months 4 weeks ago

Agreed Action. And the reason is there is no FA upgrade available for the total cost of the move. Any move would be for “experience” vs potential, would cost you a player you’ve been developing you would have to cut to make room, and would cost you more than what you are paying the rookies right now. And, like you stated, you’d be taking valuable reps away from the rookies.

Makes no sense.

A trade for an elite edge player makes more sense. But, they don’t really have the cap room and I don’t think they want to spend the draft capital right now. Like you said, maybe at the trade deadline if they are in the hunt.

I want a big NT. I don’t see that happening either.

You nailed it. They are riding with pretty much who they have.

by ramsman34
9 months 4 weeks ago

actionjack wrote:Of course they just signed a new CB Duke Shelley to the active squad...

And cut Ochaun?? Maybe another edge player is on the way now??

• 6 / 11
105 posts Jul 01 2024