61 posts
  • 5 / 7
 by Elvis
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38917  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

dieterbrock wrote:
Elvis wrote:Foles has a passer rating of 79.7, Bradford 79.5...

Considering that one guy plays in a system that made Mark Sanchez look great while the other guy plays for....
Nah, forget it....

Yep.

Although, i missed the first quarter of SNF and thought Bradford had a really good game from what i did see...

by Stranger
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   Norcal
Superstar

Whoa!

by moklerman
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:

Considering that one guy plays in a system that made Mark Sanchez look great while the other guy plays for....
Nah, forget it....
Overall, both are still disappointing but my point of bumping the thread was that Bradford finally came through in a big moment on national tv and I wonder if that will vault him to better production. Foles hasn't had a 200 yard game in quite a while and seems to be regressing so those early two good games he had are carrying his overall rating I think.

by snackdaddy
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9721  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw_64 wrote:
moklerman wrote:
snackdaddy wrote:Bradford takes the lead by default. Foles is that bad.
I'm not a fan but there's something else besides his ability/inability. He's being made worse by this coaching staff. The guy who helped beat Seattle and Arizona isn't the same guy playing now. Which doesn't make sense considering how much the running game has improved.

I think he's suffering from shellshock. He's taken far too much abuse, and it's starting to affect his game mentally. Now, even when he has a clean pocket, he looks gunshy. Just a theory. I do give him credit for standing in the pocket under fire and taking it. He is one tough S.O.B. I'm surprised he is still upright, quite frankly.

Thats what I was thinking. A constant beating can affect a QB mentally. Bulger was once a good quarterback and the beating he took his last couple years changed him. Thats where we got the term Bulgerized.

Its possible Foles has BQS, Battered quarterback syndrome. And its starting to affect him now when he has a clean pocket. It sure seems to me the last couple games the protection was better than it was before the bye. Yet, he can't make plays. What happened on the first play of the game when Britt had his man beat on a play that was likely designed for him. I'm sure Britt was supposed to be the first option. Yet, Foles never saw him, ended up rolling out and throwing an incompletion.

That tells me Foles isn't right mentally. Maybe Keenum would be the better option right now. He hasn't been beat down so he doesn't know any better. He'll be looking for someone to throw it to. Foles has gotten himself confused to the point where its hard to make the right decision. He can't see an open man, rolls out and throws it away. Or when the guy is open he overthrows him badly. Doesn't help when the receivers drop passes either. Whatever the case, Foles is regressing and I don't have confidence he can make plays. To me, it seems like he's lost whatever edge he once had. Time on the bench might help.

by Stranger
8 years 7 months ago
Superstar

I'd argue that this offensive scheme does not get the best out of its QB's.

by Elvis
8 years 7 months ago
Administrator

Foles is among the least sacked in the NFL: 12 time so far this year.

We've had 7 years now of defensive head coaches who don't know or care much about the passing game.

So we're left with trying to win with a dominant defense and solid running attack, might work.

I also think it's possible Fisher will change his tune and take a more modern approach to offense next year.

Neither scenario is great or super likely, but they both exist...

by dieterbrock
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:
dieterbrock wrote:

Nah, forget it....
Overall, both are still disappointing but my point of bumping the thread was that Bradford finally came through in a big moment on national tv and I wonder if that will vault him to better production. Foles hasn't had a 200 yard game in quite a while and seems to be regressing so those early two good games he had are carrying his overall rating I think.

Bradford was really good against the Cowboys who allegedly have a good D. Actually, that's letting my bias type. He was great, particularly in the 2nd half
And I do fear that the lightbulb may have actually gone on for him and he'll continue to do great things.
As for Foles, I dont see any difference in his play than from what we saw from Clemens/Hill/Davis. I'd like to blame him for it, but the reality is that I just cant see how any QB would be successful in that offense.
Well, check that, I could see a QB who was capable of making plays with his feet be succesful, but we clearly dont have that. Again, another non scheme fit with an offensive player acquisition

by moklerman
8 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:
moklerman wrote:
dieterbrock wrote:Considering that one guy plays in a system that made Mark Sanchez look great while the other guy plays for....
Nah, forget it....

Bradford was really good against the Cowboys who allegedly have a good D. Actually, that's letting my bias type. He was great, particularly in the 2nd half
And I do fear that the lightbulb may have actually gone on for him and he'll continue to do great things.
As for Foles, I dont see any difference in his play than from what we saw from Clemens/Hill/Davis. I'd like to blame him for it, but the reality is that I just cant see how any QB would be successful in that offense.
Well, check that, I could see a QB who was capable of making plays with his feet be succesful, but we clearly dont have that. Again, another non scheme fit with an offensive player acquisition

All I can be with Bradford is cautiously optimistic. He's long been a guy that has plenty of bad to offset the good. Much like the Rams. Just when you think things have finally clicked, the other shoe drops.

With Foles, they're putting him in pressure situations that he doesn't excel under and it's hurting him. It's just not his game to face a defense that knows he's going to pass. But instead of taking him out of those situations by calling better plays at better times, they're just taking the ball out of his hands. Which in turn, is ruining his rhythm and confidence IMO.

What's really hard for me to understand is the type of QB that Fisher seems to be targeting. Mannion is basically a Foles clone, both of whom are basically Kerry Collins clones. The most success Fisher's ever had with his offenses has been with QB's who could threaten to run. Stout guys who could pass just enough but who would run and change the dynamic of what opposing defense were trying to do. Which QB in the draft most closely resembled McNair and Young? Hundley from UCLA. He was there at any time they wanted him and he would fit perfectly into what this offense is trying to do.

It's maddening.

by Elvis
8 years 7 months ago
Administrator

Fisher wants a QB that doesn't turn the ball over a lot. The Rams don't turn the ball over a lot.

My guess is Fisher is a lot closer to having what he wants on offense than most of us fans are...

by Stranger
8 years 7 months ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Fisher wants a QB that doesn't turn the ball over a lot. The Rams don't turn the ball over a lot.

My guess is Fisher is a lot closer to having what he wants on offense than most of us fans are...

But will what-Fisher-wants consitently win in today's NFL?

• 5 / 7
61 posts Jul 05 2024