68 posts
  • 5 / 7
 by ramsman34
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8668  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I was expecting a trade up in the first then another trade up back into the bottom of the first. I stated numerous times “gut feel”. Clearly starting, uh, I don’t know shit or this is what I would do with the “knowledge” I possess. I too thought Kinchens was a head scratcher. But, I think the Rams look at the secondary more holistically than strictly by positions. So yes PA, there’s a pretty strong indication they could play a good amount of 3 safety coverages. I figured they would take an RB. But not a K Will clone - a bigger, faster back so they could present different challenges to a defense. Now, it makes sense, do what you do really well and have 2 guys who can do it so they are always fresh and healthy. I stated a number of times how fascinating it would be to actually get to witness their process. See who they really wanted but either couldn’t afford to move up to get or were beaten to the punch by other teams. I am going to look at the next draft differently. Look at players of perceived positions of need - and ya, every team drafts for need (the BPA thing is almost a joke now) but look at the mental and football makeup of these needed players. Who looks/sounds like a Ram. Hard to do as we don’t have interview video, access to teammates and coaches opinions, etc. but this method might make for a shorter list of potential players as opposed to looking at the entire draft.

There also could have been a number of other players who fit exactly what the Rams want. They always say they have pods of players at each draft pick slot they rank similarly. So in theory, the Rams could have drafted 10 different players and we could all be saying/feeling the same way or pretty close to it. You could redraft knowing who was picked and build a nice haul of 10 different players and make a case the Rams had a great draft.

It is fun to talk about and debate.

It’s more fun when you go to camp and watch a Puka Nacua making play after play and then see it game one for real. When you watch B Young and K Turner wreak havoc consistently during the season and Steve Avila flat dominate veteran defenders from the jump. Then watch the team gel, win basically the entire back half of their season, go to the playoffs in Detroit and sadly lose by 1. All when most outsiders said your team is gonna blow chunks this year.

Now we get a fresh class to watch - regardless of Dare screaming they’d take a QB or ramsman34 “knowing” they would trade up for an offensive superstar AND get a top edge, or Peter Schraeger “guaranteeing” Sean McVay would take an offensive player and it will be a LT. We get to see how these rookies come in and contribute to a team that won’t be sneaking up on anyone this season.

With all the madness and just plain bad things happening all around the world, I am thankful that, so far, nothing will be messing that up.

Ugh, trying camp doesn’t start for another 3 months.

by Dare
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   119  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

Those who criticized the Penix signing are being short-sighted. Cousins is on only a two year contract.

They get to develop and refine Penix for two years while having a very affordable backup for two years as well. It's no different than what I said the Rams should do with Stafford's situation. Stafford's contract basically is done after this year. It's why he wants more money. Matt's final two years are simply option years to spread the cap hit. Cousin's contract is spread exactly the same way.

Now the Rams will be forced to grab a FA QB1, or start a rookie next year. Or draft a rookie and sign a bridge FA QB. They also could simply pay Stafford $50M next year under his current contract with no additional money, i.e. tell him to play or retire. If Stafford retires the Rams still own his "un-retirement" options so he can't just retire then sign with someone else.

But that is a bad bet. $50M is a lot to pay for one year to a QB that is more likely than not going to miss games due to injury. Frankly it will be a shocker if Matt plays every game healthy this year. That is exactly what Jimmy G is banking on.

by actionjack
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4074  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:I was expecting a trade up in the first then another trade up back into the bottom of the first. I stated numerous times “gut feel”. Clearly starting, uh, I don’t know shit or this is what I would do with the “knowledge” I possess. I too thought Kinchens was a head scratcher. But, I think the Rams look at the secondary more holistically than strictly by positions. So yes PA, there’s a pretty strong indication they could play a good amount of 3 safety coverages. I figured they would take an RB. But not a K Will clone - a bigger, faster back so they could present different challenges to a defense. Now, it makes sense, do what you do really well and have 2 guys who can do it so they are always fresh and healthy. I stated a number of times how fascinating it would be to actually get to witness their process. See who they really wanted but either couldn’t afford to move up to get or were beaten to the punch by other teams. I am going to look at the next draft differently. Look at players of perceived positions of need - and ya, every team drafts for need (the BPA thing is almost a joke now) but look at the mental and football makeup of these needed players. Who looks/sounds like a Ram. Hard to do as we don’t have interview video, access to teammates and coaches opinions, etc. but this method might make for a shorter list of potential players as opposed to looking at the entire draft.

There also could have been a number of other players who fit exactly what the Rams want. They always say they have pods of players at each draft pick slot they rank similarly. So in theory, the Rams could have drafted 10 different players and we could all be saying/feeling the same way or pretty close to it. You could redraft knowing who was picked and build a nice haul of 10 different players and make a case the Rams had a great draft.

It is fun to talk about and debate.

It’s more fun when you go to camp and watch a Puka Nacua making play after play and then see it game one for real. When you watch B Young and K Turner wreak havoc consistently during the season and Steve Avila flat dominate veteran defenders from the jump. Then watch the team gel, win basically the entire back half of their season, go to the playoffs in Detroit and sadly lose by 1. All when most outsiders said your team is gonna blow chunks this year.

Now we get a fresh class to watch - regardless of Dare screaming they’d take a QB or ramsman34 “knowing” they would trade up for an offensive superstar AND get a top edge, or Peter Schraeger “guaranteeing” Sean McVay would take an offensive player and it will be a LT. We get to see how these rookies come in and contribute to a team that won’t be sneaking up on anyone this season.

With all the madness and just plain bad things happening all around the world, I am thankful that, so far, nothing will be messing that up.

Ugh, trying camp doesn’t start for another 3 months.

I dont really consider lake a safety at this point, he will play the star.

Curl & Kitchens at safety, massive upgrade over what we had, active and more ball hawky, think turnovers. Anyone remember how many times we gave up big plays in the 4Q?? This is post AD era on defense, can spend more in the secondary.

by actionjack
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4074  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Dare wrote:Those who criticized the Penix signing are being short-sighted. Cousins is on only a two year contract.

They get to develop and refine Penix for two years while having a very affordable backup for two years as well. It's no different than what I said the Rams should do with Stafford's situation. Stafford's contract basically is done after this year. It's why he wants more money. Matt's final two years are simply option years to spread the cap hit. Cousin's contract is spread exactly the same way.

Now the Rams will be forced to grab a FA QB1, or start a rookie next year. Or draft a rookie and sign a bridge FA QB. They also could simply pay Stafford $50M next year under his current contract with no additional money, i.e. tell him to play or retire. If Stafford retires the Rams still own his "un-retirement" options so he can't just retire then sign with someone else.

But that is a bad bet. $50M is a lot to pay for one year to a QB that is more likely than not going to miss games due to injury. Frankly it will be a shocker if Matt plays every game healthy this year. That is exactly what Jimmy G is banking on.

OMG Stafford isnt going anywhere and at this point will probably gets signed up through 2026 season so at min 3 years. 50 mill/yr is a bargain for an elite QB.

As far as drafting Penix after you signed Cousins to 100+ mill contract...these are the reasons its dumb.

1. You just pissed off the QB you just signed to 100 mill contract before he has played a single game for you. Why didnt you tell him to plan earlier IF you were planning on drafting Penix.

2. Cousins will now have his teammates and fans looking over his shoulder the minute he has any struggles.

3. What if Cousins plays very well and ends up playing 4 or more years, you now wasted the 5 years of low QB you would have had under Penix. Penix is already 24 too.

Im all for drafting young QB to eventually take over the starting job, but now for a QB you signed for huge money that never played for you. Bottom line terrible planning by the Falcons and Raheem is going to have his hands full keeping the locker room together.

by rams74
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1500  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Dare wrote:Those who criticized the Penix signing are being short-sighted. Cousins is on only a two year contract.

FWIW, Cousins' contract is for 4 years.

by ramsman34
1 month 2 weeks ago

actionjack wrote:I dont really consider lake a safety at this point, he will play the star.

Curl & Kitchens at safety, massive upgrade over what we had, active and more ball hawky, think turnovers. Anyone remember how many times we gave up big plays in the 4Q?? This is post AD era on defense, can spend more in the secondary.

Yep. Always see Lake as the star. So that’s basically what most are calling a 3 safety look. And I think the upgrade on that backend is significant. And the depth are guys we know who, while perhaps not ready to be full time starters, certainly have the experience to replace when needed and more importantly, work within situational schemes. A long winded way to say I think we are solid in the secondary. Lol

by ramsman34
1 month 2 weeks ago

Dare, there is a very limited number of “the best of the best” QBs. You make it sound like the Rams can play hardball and let Stafford walk after this year. Simply not true. Neither the Rams nor Stafford want that. Staff wants to play longer. QB salaries go up faster and greater than any other salary. He wants his salary/guaranteed money to A. Match his new length of play/contract extension and B. Match his value now and over that time frame. ANY top QB would feel the same. The Rams beefed up the OL, added power and skill at TE. Added another Rams style WR, added another super productive RB and a productive vet RB. ALL OF THIS IS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE STAFFORD WINDOW. He ain’t goin anywhere anytime soon and the Rams have taken major strides to keep him healthy. They will address his replacement in 2-3 years when the need to, controlling for major injury.

Those tea leaves simply couldn’t be any more obvious.

Atlanta has screwed the QB situation since Matt Ryan started to decline. They felt like Penix was good insurance a probably the long term guy. I’m sure it has “motivated” Cousins and like actions said, probably pissed him off. They will probably move on from Cousins in 2 years if Penix looks like the real deal. That’s how this game works. Stafford is in a different echelon than Cousins. You milk that cash cow as long as possible. And you plan for the future a little later. It’s a calculated risk and one I am glad they are taking. They will draft a QB in 2026 most likely. Maybe next year depending on a number of factors. Then that dude will sit and learn from a master and hopefully be ready in 2027 If needed. Why would the Rams waste years in a rookie QB deal now?? Makes zeros sense and that why people are criticizing the Falcons. They almost HAVE to move on from Cousins in 2 years now. Or, Trade Penix for a shit ton less than a top 10 pick.

by BobCarl
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4326  
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:(Falcons) ... almost HAVE to move on from Cousins in 2 years now. Or, Trade Penix for a shit ton less than a top 10 pick.
Or a shit ton more.

Hard to say what will happen ... who's hall-full crystal glass ACL or achilles will shatter first?

by Lancer
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   180  
Rookie

ramsman34 wrote:I am going to look at the next draft differently. Look at players of perceived positions of need - and ya, every team drafts for need (the BPA thing is almost a joke now) but look at the mental and football makeup of these needed players. Who looks/sounds like a Ram.

We have enough drafts now, can reasonably say they place higher value on fit with team culture more than other orgs do.

ramsman34 wrote:There also could have been a number of other players who fit exactly what the Rams want. They always say they have pods of players at each draft pick slot they rank similarly. So in theory, the Rams could have drafted 10 different players and we could all be saying/feeling the same way or pretty close to it.

Multiple [pods] of NFL Draft, S-Rank tierlists? :lol2:

ramsman34 wrote:You could redraft knowing who was picked and build a nice haul of 10 different players and make a case the Rams had a great draft.

Part of that is under the General Manager's scope of duties, they have to promote they executed the plan they had in mind (even though it may not have been the most ideal plan)

ramsman34 wrote:It is fun to talk about and debate.

This was a great draft to experience just to witness, probably the most engaged I have seen the forums been during this time!

While the process itself is stressful enough, they placed themselves in a way that allowed them to not have to endure the pressure of having to make a big trade or series of trades to collect players.

ramsman34 wrote:Now we get a fresh class to watch - regardless of Dare screaming they’d take a QB or ramsman34 “knowing” they would trade up for an offensive superstar AND get a top edge, or Peter Schraeger “guaranteeing” Sean McVay would take an offensive player and it will be a LT. We get to see how these rookies come in and contribute to a team that won’t be sneaking up on anyone this season...Ugh, trying camp doesn’t start for another 3 months.

Yes, now we have to wait, hope the team did due diligence with the young men they picked, and trust they take note of the advice given to them in terms of finances, how they conduct themselves, etc. and do not commit to poor choices (and, avoid injury in their 1st season).

by Dare
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   119  
Practice Squad

Atlanta has screwed the QB situation since Matt Ryan started to decline. They felt like Penix was good insurance a probably the long term guy. I’m sure it has “motivated” Cousins and like actions said, probably pissed him off. They will probably move on from Cousins in 2 years if Penix looks like the real deal.

I think in three years people will say it was a good move on the part of Atlanta. Cousins is signed on basically what is a two year deal. IMO Penix is probably the most underrated QB in this draft.

If the Rams get to and win another Lombardi this year IMO Stafford will hang it up and retire. Look at his contract. If he chooses to play in 2025 it's not like he will do so without guaranteed money. When he signed the contract he knew 2025 and 2026 were option years. It was good enough for him then so what has changed?

Stafford will be paid $50M with $37M still guaranteed. So in essence he will be earning an additional $13M by playing in 2025. I think he wants that additional $13M guaranteed. That IMO is a very bad bet considering his extensive injury history. That cannot and should not be ignored by either the management or fans.

Matt will have a choice to make. He can retire with his $37M still guaranteed or he can play one or two more seasons earning an additional $25 M over those two years. The other part of the equation will be Kroenke's decision as to whether or not to simply move on from Matt at the end of the year.

I honestly think the Rams will put off any decisions on their part dependent upon how Matt plays this year. If he's still playing at an elite level maybe they stay the course with Stafford at QB1 for one more year. If he misses multiple games like he did in 2022 then I think they will say thank you Matt but no thank you on additional guaranteed money. If he has another 2022 and he might because his arm issue is chronic, then the Rams must move on at QB1. Remember Stafford only started 9 games in 2022 and he missed another last year. So he's missed 10 games in the past two years. The Rams can't ignore that.

• 5 / 7
68 posts Jun 17 2024