• 5 / 10
 by 69RamFan
3 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3237  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Was not expecting this to happen for this season,

I thought he would play at least one more season,

based on how Snead/McVay was putting this team together since last year.

But now that he is gone,

He is a UNANIMOUS First Ballot HOF.

When the sports writer call his name during the voting period for the HOF,

He doesn't need a spokesperson to talk for him,

Every sportswriter should just raise their hand and vote him in without any question.

So, from the start of this Season 2024,

His uniform Number should be Retired and hanging from the rafters!!!!

by Dare
3 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   134  
United States of America   Tucson, AZ formerly of San Diego
Practice Squad

I know about turftimes. But I also have a very low opinion of PFF. Which is who gave this whole thing legs.

by PARAM
3 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12318  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:Yes, we knew this was out there somewhere. But the thing is, a year ago when the Rams announced that they were letting players go and taking the dead cap hits and going young on defense, Donald said that he was ok with it as long as the guys Snead brought in were aggressive and talented (or something like that).

I mean, it wouldn't have surprised me if he had opted out right there, but he didn't, he bought in. I thought that meant he was in for another year also (this year), when we would have some cap space for another run at the title. I thought so a year ago and still did, up until a few hours ago.

So, yeah, I am surprised by this. Not as surprised as when Magic Johnson announced his retirement from the NBA -- I'll never be as surprised and shocked and stunned as I was then.

But it's not good. It might be good for Aaron, but it's not good for the Rams, not good for Rams fans. Sad day.

I'm a glass half full guy. This is a guy Ram fans can hold up vs any NFL player EVER. He didn't lose his mojo. He didn't get traded to another team. He gave us 10 years of excellence, won a Superbowl and taught 52 team mates, 14 rookies how to behave if you want to be great. In other words, unlike some greats he didn't tarnish his impeccable reputation or the Rams reputation for that matter.

by PARAM
3 months 2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

I know this probably won't happen because you don't try to recover from losing an unreplaceable player with a draft pick who plays the same position. Still, I'd say get Murphy.

Byron Murphy II emerges as a standout defensive tackle in this year's draft class, primarily due to his exceptional abilities as an interior pass rusher. His technique, explosiveness off the line, and ability to navigate through tight spaces draw a parallel to the elite level of play seen in NFL superstars like Aaron Donald. Murphy's knack for collapsing the pocket from the inside and creating havoc for quarterbacks and running backs alike sets him apart as a defensive prospect. His pass-rushing skills are not just effective; they're game-changing, allowing him to disrupt offensive schemes and force adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

Murphy's arsenal of moves, combined with his burst and hand usage, enables him to destroy the offensive line between the tackles with finesse and power reminiscent of the very best at his position. While comparisons to a talent like Aaron Donald set a high bar, Murphy's collegiate performance and skill set suggest he possesses the potential to become an outstanding pro. His ability to read the play, combined with unmatched agility for a man his size, makes him a constant threat in the backfield.

Looking ahead, Byron Murphy II is poised to make an immediate impact in the NFL. His transition from college to the pros will be watched closely by scouts and coaches alike, many of whom anticipate his quick adaptation to the faster pace and higher complexity of the NFL. As teams increasingly prioritize interior defensive linemen who can pressure the quarterback, Murphy's skill set becomes even more valuable. His growth potential, coupled with an already impressive foundation of skills, suggests that he could easily be considered one of the best defensive linemen in the draft.

If they did get him....and he was everything said right there.....in a year or two we might say, "Damn! Like every big play he's made over the years, Aaron Donald chose the perfect time to retire!"

by rams74
3 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1502  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:I'm a glass half full guy. This is a guy Ram fans can hold up vs any NFL player EVER. He didn't lose his mojo. He didn't get traded to another team. He gave us 10 years of excellence, won a Superbowl and taught 52 team mates, 14 rookies how to behave if you want to be great. In other words, unlike some greats he didn't tarnish his impeccable reputation or the Rams reputation for that matter.

So it sounds like you're celebrating today. Which is fine.

I mean, I agree with everything you said. And I'll be happy to celebrate his career. But not today. I'm still trying to get used to the fact that Aaron Donald is a player in the past tense.

by Dare
3 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   134  
United States of America   Tucson, AZ formerly of San Diego
Practice Squad

[url]Donald restructured his contract for salary cap relief in 2024. The Rams converted $13.79 million of salary into a signing bonus. The move saved the Rams $9.2 million in cap room for 2024. That mones is added into the final two void years of the contract.[/url]

This quote is direct from Over the Cap's website.

AD will retire after this coming season. This is his contract year and he was not going to walk away and leave the Rams in a cap crisis. I'm sure he went in and talked to them before he finalized his decision and found out the reality and they restructured his contract for this year. Next year he can retire with no problems for the Rams.

by PARAM
3 months 2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:So it sounds like you're celebrating today. Which is fine.

I mean, I agree with everything you said. And I'll be happy to celebrate his career. But not today. I'm still trying to get used to the fact that Aaron Donald is a player in the past tense.

Cheap shot! Celebrating? His retirement? No. His career? Sure. But that's why I consider myself a glass half full guy. I don't have to sedate myself after a big loss. I didn't exhaust myself with pangs of sorrow when his eventual retirement was discussed. His retirement has been a topic of off season discussion since February 2022. I guess I had time to figure it was coming sooner than I'd like. I'm not celebrating his retirement by no means. But I'm not going to look for ways to dull the pain. It was going to happen and it has. Life goes on. The Rams will begin 2024 play in September. GO RAMS!!!

by phoenixrising
3 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   820  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

Well that was a gut punch. Just when it seemed like the Rams were putting things together for another run. It will be tough to recover from this, especially since the Rams don’t get the benefit of saving his salary off the cap. I assume the amount they saved restructuring will just be postponed to later years?

Of course I wish Aaron the best. I’m grateful for an unbelievable 10 yrs—already feeling a little lost without him.

by PARAM
3 months 2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

Dare wrote:This quote is direct from Over the Cap's website.

AD will retire after this coming season. This is his contract year and he was not going to walk away and leave the Rams in a cap crisis. I'm sure he went in and talked to them before he finalized his decision and found out the reality and they restructured his contract for this year. Next year he can retire with no problems for the Rams.

My friend, you have to stop denying what's happened.

It is the end of a dominant era.

Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald on Friday announced his retirement from the NFL, marking the conclusion of one of the most decorated careers in franchise and league history.

"We are so grateful for Aaron's dedication to greatness and for leading our franchise on and off the field for the past decade," Rams Owner/Chairman E. Stanley Kroenke said. "He has left his mark on generations of football fans and his accomplishments, coupled with his work ethic and passion, continue to inspire his teammates, coaches and athletes across the globe. It is a privilege to have witnessed one of the greatest players of all time and we are proud that Aaron Donald will forever be part of NFL history as a member of the Rams."

One of only three players in league history to earn three NFL Defensive Player of the Year awards, the Super Bowl LVI champion leaves the game after registering 111 sacks in 10 seasons. He recorded at least eight sacks in 8 of his 10 seasons, and was one of six unanimous choices for the NFL 2010s All-Decade Team.

"It's the end....", not "the beginning of the end". "After 10 seasons" means after 2023. He's done. It's official. The clock countdown for the gold jacket has officially begun. We have 5 years to plan. Let's all make plans to witness his induction in person. Meet some of the people we talk to, argue with, celebrate with on a daily basis. And see the greatest defensive player in the history of the NFL receive his gold jacket.

by Elvis
3 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   38914  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Dare wrote:[url]Donald restructured his contract for salary cap relief in 2024. The Rams converted $13.79 million of salary into a signing bonus. The move saved the Rams $9.2 million in cap room for 2024. That mones is added into the final two void years of the contract.[/url]

This quote is direct from Over the Cap's website.

Uh, it's done. He retired. He said so himself. The Rams have said so.

He restructured his contract so the cap hit of his retirement won't be as severe for the Rams this year.

• 5 / 10
91 posts Jul 01 2024