56 posts
  • 4 / 6
 by Ramsdude
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:this is the second time i've read this in this thread, and i don't quite get it, what makes you guys think royal blue is an l.a. tradition?

the dodgers brought their shade of blue from brooklyn, the trojans are maroon, the lakers are purple, the kings are black, the bruins are powder blue, the original la chargers were powder blue, the clippers have sported many different colors over the years, etc., etc., so where exactly does this "royal blue l.a. tradition" come from?

the rams sported navy in cleveland for 8 years (1938-1945), and then for another 27 years after moving to los angeles (1946-1972), not much royal blue tradition goin' on there as far as i can tell... they switched to the "ferragamo's" in '73 and sported them for the next 22 years (1973-1994) in los angeles, then for another 5 in st. louis.

also, what no one seems to be really talking about, is that the blue shade of the original "ferragamo's" wasn't really like the current concoction, they weren't as "royal", or as bright, as the current "ferragamo" remakes:

x01.jpg

All good points aeneas1. Can't dispute what you posted. I wouldn't call that Blue in the Gammo pic "Navy Blue" though. Just a darker shade. Navy (to me) is way darker. The Rams have had a few different "shades" of blue over the years.

When I said "LA Tradition, I should have said "LA Rams tradition".

by St. Loser Fan
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   10605  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

At this point it has to be royal blue. Nothing else is acceptable to LA. Zero connection to St. Louis.

by aeneas1
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Ramsdude wrote:All good points aeneas1. Can't dispute what you posted. I wouldn't call that Blue in the Gammo pic "Navy Blue" though. Just a darker shade. Navy (to me) is way darker. The Rams have had a few different "shades" of blue over the years.

When I said "LA Tradition, I should have said "LA Rams tradition".

no doubt, the original ferragamo jerseys definitely weren't navy, but they were considerably different than the electric boogaloo / sapphire blue things they've landed on for the ferragamo throwbacks... anyway, when i think l.a. rams i think navy, definitely not royal, probably because of the blue/whites they sported when i first fell for them way back when, or maybe it's because i collect vintage game used football helmets, including vintage game used rams helmets, and they're all, definitely, uncomprimisingly midnight navy... whatever the case, i'm sure i'll be fine with what ever they go with, because the helmet horns aren't going anywhere.

by Hacksaw
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

aeneas1 wrote:this is the second time i've read this in this thread, and i don't quite get it, what makes you guys think royal blue is an l.a. tradition?

the dodgers brought their shade of blue from brooklyn, the trojans are maroon, the lakers are purple, the kings are black, the bruins are powder blue, the original la chargers were powder blue, the clippers have sported many different colors over the years, etc., etc., so where exactly does this "royal blue l.a. tradition" come from?

the rams sported navy in cleveland for 8 years (1938-1945), and then for another 27 years after moving to los angeles (1946-1972), not much royal blue tradition goin' on there as far as i can tell... they switched to the "ferragamo's" in '73 and sported them for the next 22 years (1973-1994) in los angeles, then for another 5 in st. louis.

also, what no one seems to be really talking about, is that the blue shade of the original "ferragamo's" wasn't really like the current concoction, they weren't as "royal", or as bright, as the current "ferragamo" remakes:

x01.jpg

Dickerson and Ferragamo's colors weren't as dark as the photo's depict. Goof photo is to blue. Nike still hasn't gotten the colors right,, but they are a lot closer than the photos

by Elvis
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   38914  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

St. Loser Fan wrote:At this point it has to be royal blue. Nothing else is acceptable to LA. Zero connection to St. Louis.

Except that they won a SB in St. Louis wearing the royal blue you make a great point...

by St. Loser Fan
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   10605  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Except that they won a SB in St. Louis wearing the royal blue you make a great point...

Settle an argument for me: is it true the LA Lakers don't acknowledge the championships won in Minnesota with the LA ones? Like the only banners hanging in Staples are for the wins while the team was in California?

by aeneas1
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Except that they won a SB in St. Louis wearing the royal blue you make a great point...

yeah, there's that, ha ha....

anyway, we're spoiled fans, whatever the rams choose will most likely look good given they have such a solid base to work with, i.e. the historic helmets horns... i mean it's not like we're in the same boat as:

by Gareth
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

The blue and whites of the 70’s are my favorites but I also really like the darker blue and yellow that Aeneas posted.

I agree that the Ferragamo colors are a bit cartoonish and outdated. A darker blue with that yellow would work for me.

by actionjack
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   4084  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

I dont get much into this debate. But the Navy Blue and White looks great and has the tradition. I hope they do something close to that. The Ferrgamos just look dated to me.

by rams74
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   1502  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

I have fond memories of the Rams from the Gabriel and the Fearsome Foursome days. So the white/navy uniforms were special to me. When they switched to royal/yellow in '73, I didn't know that the Rams had ever worn anything other than white and navy. But I quickly came around. The Ferragamos became (and still are) my favorite.

The photoshop mockups that A1 put together with the darker navy blue don't look like Rams uniforms to me. They look more like a Cal or a Michigan uniform. I'm not saying it doesn't look sharp, because it does. It just doesn't seem like the Rams. If that's what they do, I'm sure I'll get used to it. I just prefer the royal blue and canary yellow. Might as well make the helmet match, I guess, though I don't lose sleep over that (I'd rather have wider horns than match the color).

• 4 / 6
56 posts Jun 28 2024