105 posts
  • 4 / 11
 by DaveFromOhio
10 months 2 days ago
 Total posts:   43  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

ramsman34 wrote:Who are you talking to, Or rather at?

Safeties are a lot cheaper than edge players. We will see if they sign an edge. My money is on DT/NT.

He and the other gentleman PA are having a back and forth. Not you dude. :)

by /zn/
10 months 1 day ago
 Total posts:   6807  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

There's 2 dilemmas here.

First, no one cuts a viable edge rusher, or at least it's rare. In fact going back 10 years try to name the times any teams got a decent edge rusher that way. It's not at all common to find one on the waiver wire. Teams keep them.

They could trade but then anyone you're trading for will most likely take up cap space they don't have.

Second, good edge rushers tend not to be all that productive in year one (there can be a few exceptions to this). They are after all going up against hosts of professional veteran blockers who made it in the league precisely because they can pass block, and to maintain that skill they continually work on their game. Plus they are supported by savvy, tape-informed scheming and playcalling, all of which goes way beyond what any rookie edge guy faced in college. Cracking that takes some time.

Look at 2 of the Rams best edge rushers in the last 40 years---Kevin Greene and Robert Quinn. Year one sacks for each: Greene 0, Quinn 5.

by snackdaddy
10 months 1 day ago
 Total posts:   9717  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I still think they are not looking at competing this year. Its all about 2024 or 2025. The first and second year guys will get their playing time. They need to see if any of these guys have what it takes. Go into next year more experience and better prepared. I'd be surprised if they picked up a vet edge rusher. I'd be really shocked if they traded for one.

by PARAM
10 months 1 day ago
 Total posts:   12318  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I still think they are not looking at competing this year. Its all about 2024 or 2025. The first and second year guys will get their playing time. They need to see if any of these guys have what it takes. Go into next year more experience and better prepared. I'd be surprised if they picked up a vet edge rusher. I'd be really shocked if they traded for one.

If that's the case, why trade for Dotson? Why give up draft capital for a guy in the last year of his current contract if you aren't expecting to compete? If we look solely at the defense, we might get that impression. But they appear to be tuning up the offense. And it's a hard sell to vets like Donald, Kupp and Stafford to even give a hint at a lesser desire to compete. JMHO.

by ramsww
10 months 1 day ago
 Total posts:   478  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

ramsman34 wrote:Who are you talking to, Or rather at?

Safeties are a lot cheaper than edge players. We will see if they sign an edge. My money is on DT/NT.

PARAM per the usual, not you 34. I agree “some” edge players are more expensive than S but I said in another thread we (at time) needed a K, DT, OLB, and OLine depth. We are about to sign (K) Maher. We traded for Dotson, we let Keir Thomas and Hardy go (and no team claimed them) but we surprisingly did NOT sign one player off waivers in spite of having the 6th position on the wire.

I expected us to rehabilitate someone else’s failed experiment because we can’t afford the Van Noys, Ingrams or Dunlaps. (I guess PARAM missed that) but now I’m thinking they may just try to get a quality edge player in a trade or FA signing. They can’t possibly go with what they have AND pass on available players. JMO

by snackdaddy
10 months 1 day ago
 Total posts:   9717  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:If that's the case, why trade for Dotson? Why give up draft capital for a guy in the last year of his current contract if you aren't expecting to compete? If we look solely at the defense, we might get that impression. But they appear to be tuning up the offense. And it's a hard sell to vets like Donald, Kupp and Stafford to even give a hint at a lesser desire to compete. JMHO.

It wasn't all that much draft capital. While I believe they don't expect to compete, they have to be prepared in case they surprise everyone and win more games than predicted. Plus, you need serviceable backups so Stafford doesn't get sent into early retirement. If there is only one area you want to improve this season, the offensive should be it.

by ramsman34
10 months 1 day ago
 Total posts:   8674  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

They will compete. I think you’re saying they won’t be competitive.

Back to this “they will add an edge player” sitch.

They won’t. Not because they don’t want to or wont try. Because like many have stated, Including Snead, they aren’t available. The Rams “spent” at Safety, interior OL, and corner. They got a steal at corner. But those other positions, and you can add ILB and RB to the list, are easier to fill at bargain prices.

They aren’t getting Edge, QB, LT, or WR1 without making a serious trade. So, will they trade for an edge player? Probably not at all but possibly at the trade deadline if we are ahead of schedule (as has been stated here by many).

You can call out the need and WANT it to happen. But there are a lot more moving parts to it than that.

Lastly, if they do bring someone in, someone else has to get cut. They aren’t doing that for a lateral talent move.

JMO

by RAMMAN76
10 months 1 day ago
 Total posts:   565  
United States of America   Fort Worth TX
Veteran

Rumor is "The Edge" might be available.

:D

• 4 / 11
105 posts Jul 01 2024