487 posts
  • 22 / 49
 by BobCarl
5 months 4 days ago
 Total posts:   4344  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

PARAM wrote:I don't think the Rams have indicated anything, which is exactly how it should be..
I suspect that the Rams are looking at draft capital. They'll trade down if they get more draft capital than staying put at 19. Moving up only if it takes very little of draft capital and still able to get a guy they'd like.

Besides a lot of talented QB's up for grabs, the frenzy is somewhat being fueled by the going rate for successful veteran QB's ... teams will overdraft for some, thus pushing several blue chip players down a few slots.

Snead has to be licking his chops ... does he want the Kobe Beef Steak, Prime Rib, Lobster Thermador, or Caviar to go with his Armand de Bringac and Screaming Eagle?

by PARAM
5 months 4 days ago
 Total posts:   12390  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:I suspect that the Rams are looking at draft capital. They'll trade down if they get more draft capital than staying put at 19. Moving up only if it takes very little of draft capital and still able to get a guy they'd like.

That's certainly an option as is staying put or trading up. Someone said it (ramsman34?) "with the needs so much less than last year, they may move up instead of gathering picks". That seems feasible as it may assure them a stud or three, especially if they stay put at #19 and move up from #52.

by ramsman34
5 months 4 days ago
 Total posts:   8947  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

All in all. They have their pod philosophy. They have identified a number of players - I’d say less than 20, closer to probably 15 - whom they absolutely believe will contribute right away. The artistry is how Snead et al will move around to get them. That’s why nothing would surprise me except staying at 19. It’s a fascinating confluence of science, artistry, skill, information gathering and analysis, and just plain ole luck.

by PARAM
5 months 4 days ago
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:All in all. They have their pod philosophy. They have identified a number of players - I’d say less than 20, closer to probably 15 - whom they absolutely believe will contribute right away. The artistry is how Snead et al will move around to get them. That’s why nothing would surprise me except staying at 19. It’s a fascinating confluence of science, artistry, skill, information gathering and analysis, and just plain ole luck.

I don't know how they feel about whom but perusing through various "top 50 boards"....Daniel J, Kiper, Yates and sites like CBS and Draft Buzz.....there seem to be 6 defenders who always appear in the top 8 (on defense).

Latu, Verse, Turner, Mitchell, Murphy and Arnold.

And if the draft goes as many predict....QB (4), WR (4) and LT (4) heavy at the top, plus a TE (1).....that means at least 1 of those 6 should be on the board when we pick. Maybe even more than 1. And even if by some quirk of trades etc. those 6 are all gone, DeJean and Newton might be there. So....IF....McSnead goes defense we should get a stud starter at #19.

by ramsman34
5 months 4 days ago

Depends on if the Rams value those “mocked” players the same as all these experts. There are always surprise picks in the first round. Players teams know and value higher than this expert picks. Not saying staying at 19 will be bad. Just that I see them moving the pick to make sure they get a player they love with their first pick and hopefully their subsequent picks. I’d love to be a fly on the wall and see their plan and how it unfolds. The uncensored version.

by PARAM
5 months 3 days ago
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Depends on if the Rams value those “mocked” players the same as all these experts. There are always surprise picks in the first round. Players teams know and value higher than this expert picks. Not saying staying at 19 will be bad. Just that I see them moving the pick to make sure they get a player they love with their first pick and hopefully their subsequent picks. I’d love to be a fly on the wall and see their plan and how it unfolds. The uncensored version.

That's the crux of the biscuit right there. They seem to draft guys who aren't the "experts" favorites. Turner, Young, etc. And yet they come out with some diamonds. There's a reason for that. Normally, there are 50+ guys off the board when it's our turn. In fact, we've picked prior to #50 twice in 7 years (2017 and 2023). And every year, we're (us fans) are looking at the top 50! Our average draft slot for our first pick has been #63 over the last 7 drafts.

Zero first round picks. Twice no first OR second. But 7 players who are pretty good. Avila, Young, Turner, Jones, Everett, Kupp and Johnson. Some pretty good complimentary players too. Atwell, Akers, VJ, Rapp, Hendo and Noteboom. There's a reason we always seem to get more than our portion of comp picks. 32 teams. 32 comp picks. Rams seem to always get 3 or 4. Well above average and sometimes that's because guys we want to improve upon, get signed elsewhere.

Having said that, there's a reason almost all of the experts list those 6 guys in their top 8 defensive players. Because they're good. We'll see what the Rams think of them in about 3 weeks. I began as a "Verse guy". Converted to a "Murphy guy". Then morphed into a "any of those 6" guy. Hoping for DL but will take DB too. And if they decide a LT on the board when they pick is better than those 6, who am I to argue?

by snackdaddy
5 months 3 days ago
 Total posts:   9787  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:I get what both of you are saying. And I agree to go defense. The issue I have is the level of talent available at pick 19 compared to the rest of the first round and early second. If a blue chip talent on the Rams board is not there/they predict won’t be there, either trade up for a stud (again could be LT, WR, or edge/corner) or trade down and add picks to fill your defensive holes and depth.

Its quite possible most picks before 19 will be on offense. Its likely 4 quarterbacks will be taken. Could be a 5th if someone like Penix or Nix goes before 19. 3 receivers could go in the top ten. Some mocks have a 4th going before 19. Likely Bowers at tight end too. And possibly 4 offensive linemen. Then a couple CB's. I think Dallas Turner at edge will be gone by then.

That likely leaves several blue chip defensive players by the time we pick at 19. Trading down ten spots or so and they might all be gone by then. I'm thinking best case is picking a top edge guy like Latu or Verse. Or a top DT like Murphy or Newton.

I think we have a shot at picking a future all pro caliber guy at 19. My first choice would be Latu. Second Murphy at DT. I have no idea who is at the top of their board. I just hope its a DT or edge as those are positions of need and there will be good talent available. They could fill both BPA and need with the pick.

by ramsman34
5 months 3 days ago

I think Snead is going up and not for defense. Just have a weird feeling about it. I think the really want the offense loaded for the next 2-3 seasons. If they do this and it works, it helps the D out anyway. I also think that they might not have those “high ranking” defenders ranked as high on their own board and believe they can get guys in the second and third who are ranked similarly - if they can keep enough of those picks when they make the trade up.

Gut feel and influenced by people I respect on the interwebs.

by PARAM
5 months 3 days ago
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:I think Snead is going up and not for defense. Just have a weird feeling about it. I think the really want the offense loaded for the next 2-3 seasons. If they do this and it works, it helps the D out anyway. I also think that they might not have those “high ranking” defenders ranked as high on their own board and believe they can get guys in the second and third who are ranked similarly - if they can keep enough of those picks when they make the trade up.

Gut feel and influenced by people I respect on the interwebs.

Or.....it's all part of the smokescreen? This is the silly season, where we hear from many "they're leaning this way" (or that). I don't know who they can add to the offense, who will be more impactful than any of those 6 defensive guys. But then, I don't know jack.

The only choices would be a stud LT or WR. Faunatu? Brian Thomas? Given the two, I love Faunatu but Thomas would be a stud in 2024 and moving forward.

However, it seems our QB has a tick that prevents him from spreading it around to multiple guys. When Kupp is healthy, it's Kupp-Kupp-Kupp and who can blame #9? With Puka (and CK not 100%), it's Puka-Puka-Puka and again, who can blame him? With Kupp and Puka healthy and a young stud like Thomas (or one of the other 3), gonna take a hypnotist to change things.

by ramsman34
5 months 3 days ago

Good point about Stafford and locking in on particular guys. They said, would it surprise you if the got a stud at WR or LT? Not me. But it could all be BS rumors/smokescreens and they want to load up on as much cheap talent on defense as possible. 21 days and we start to find out!!

• 22 / 49
487 posts Sep 07 2024