55 posts
  • 3 / 6
 by 69RamFan
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   3234  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Poster takes a notice of what our DE/OLB and Suh are not doing,,,,

But I look at it this way,,,, AD is superior and in his prime....

he makes everyone look slow next to him...

He is beating most OLB in the league with his pressure

I feel Suh is doing a good job playing the NT or DE when needed in Wades schemes... He clogs up the middle in the run defense.... while taking on double teams too..... at the same time,,, Suh and AD are pushing the pocket back to the QB throwing their timing off....

He has 20 comb/tackles, 12 tackles 8 asst, 3 sacks / 3 TFL , 8 QBhits
after seven games...

I would sign Suh to a short term contract,,,
at his current salary for two years,,,, IMO....

What I take notice,,, with our D-line,,, is our rookie JFM... he is showing he has strength and when he is in,,, he pushes his OL back too,,,
In a few more years, when he builds that body up even more... he is going to be a hell of a D-lineman

by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

donald? he's alright i suppose....

02.jpg

by max
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5591  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:i dig me some mean joe greene too but it's hard for me to agree with that, the steelers were friggin' loaded on defense, 3 other hall of famers besides greene, not to mention all pros who haven't been inducted (lc, shell), and they all played together for 8+ years (grenne, lc, lambert, ham, blount, shell...).

Willie Brown, Ted Hendricks, Lester Hayes, Villapiano, Sistrunk, Tatum... These guys were either HOFers or ProBowlers.

And the Raiders had an explosive offense, at least as good or better than The Steelers because of that amazing OL with Upshaw and Shell.

The difference was Greene. Take Greene from the Steelers and move him to the Raiders and the history of Pro football changes dramatically.

I watched Greene in the early 70’s on the field. I saw the impact he had on a football game. It’s was astounding.

My point remains, Donald is the difference that separates the Rams from the others.

by max
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:The rare elite DT makes everyone's job easier for some simple reasons. No offense can afford to let a defender who starts that close to the ball dominate play, so you have to dedicate resources to him at the gameplan level. That frees up other things a bit. But that's not even what an elite DT does. Yes an elite DT attracts that kind of attention and is an advantage in the numbers game because he frees up something else just by taking the field, BUT at the same time...he also makes plays ANYWAY.

Put THAT on a loaded defense and you have more than a top team.

All that is true.

And guys like Greene and Donald don’t just make plays, they demoralize their opponent. Offenses can’t function physically or mentally when a guy that close to the ball is so dominant.

by Rams 1974
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38  
United States of America   Durhamville, NY (1974 JMF xoxo)
Undrafted Free Agent

69RamFan wrote:Poster takes a notice of what our DE/OLB and Suh are not doing,,,,

But I look at it this way,,,, AD is superior and in his prime....

he makes everyone look slow next to him...

He is beating most OLB in the league with his pressure

I feel Suh is doing a good job playing the NT or DE when needed in Wades schemes... He clogs up the middle in the run defense.... while taking on double teams too..... at the same time,,, Suh and AD are pushing the pocket back to the QB throwing their timing off....

He has 20 comb/tackles, 12 tackles 8 asst, 3 sacks / 3 TFL , 8 QBhits
after seven games...

I would sign Suh to a short term contract,,,
at his current salary for two years,,,, IMO....

What I take notice,,, with our D-line,,, is our rookie JFM... he is showing he has strength and when he is in,,, he pushes his OL back too,,,
In a few more years, when he builds that body up even more... he is going to be a hell of a D-lineman

I guess I over looked what Suh has done, due to being overshadowed by Donald. AD makes everyone else look simply normal. I too hope Rams resign Suh, but not more than 2 yrs & not a boat load of $ ! Maybe Suh won't be asking for the Moon, to stay in LA & along side AD.

Roll LA Rams !! 8-)

by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Willie Brown, Ted Hendricks, Lester Hayes, Villapiano, Sistrunk, Tatum... These guys were either HOFers or ProBowlers.

And the Raiders had an explosive offense, at least as good or better than The Steelers because of that amazing OL with Upshaw and Shell.

The difference was Greene. Take Greene from the Steelers and move him to the Raiders and the history of Pro football changes dramatically.

I watched Greene in the early 70’s on the field. I saw the impact he had on a football game. It’s was astounding.

My point remains, Donald is the difference that separates the Rams from the others.

yeah, that era was in my wheel house as well, and we're just going to have to disagree in terms of the better defense, what the steelers fielded from '74 - '79 was simply one for the ages... re the impact mjg had, he was a force of nature to be sure but, damn, a lot of the guys around him were off the hook too, it was an embarrassment of riches, and something that will never be seen again.

greene - 11 pro bowls, 4 all-pro, hof
ham - 8 pro bowls, 6 all-pro, hof
lambert - 9 pro bowls, 6 all-pro, hof
blount - 5 pro bowls, 2 all-pro, hof
greenwood - 6 pro bowls, 2 all-pro
shell - 5 pro bowls, 3 all-pro
russell - 7 pro bowls
white - 2 pro bowls

donald? last year the rams finished 13th in offensive points allowed, the year before 17th, i want to see the guy get a lot more support, i thought they more than nailed that support this year, we'll see, currently at 4th in offensive points allowed but, as we all know, that ranking has been helped by a small sample size and some bad offenses - hopefully the d will will make a loud and clear statement come the next 3 weeks, against much better competition.

EDIT: forgot to mention, couldn't agree more re the raiders offense of that era, they were ballers.

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6803  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

greene - 11 pro bowls, 4 all-pro, hof

Just time to repeat this, cause it fits the thread, and it's worth remembering.

Only 3 DTs in all NF history went to the pro bowl all 4 of their first 4 seasons.

Olsen, Greene, and Donald.

Of those 3, only Donald was ALSO a 1st-team all-pro 3 times in those 4 years.

by max
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

F = ma

I watched Donald slam an OL bigger than him into the QB, blowing both of them up. How does he do that?

He does it not only with strength and leverage, but with speed. The speed of his hands is incredible. When you have that kind of speed you increase the force that you hit with dramatically.

by AvengerRam
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I watched Donald slam an OL bigger than him into the QB, blowing both of them up. How does he do that?

The how is hard to comprehend, but the why is actually quite clear...

Donald heard that pass rushers could get penalized for tacking the QB in the wrong way, so he figured out a way around the rule: use OL to knock the QB down!

by PARAM
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   12304  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

In 7 games he's almost equaled his rookie performance, which was good enough to earn him DROY.

2014: 9 sacks, 18 TFL, 13 QBHits
2018: 8 sacks, 10 TFL, 13 QBHits

And while looking at DROY's, we now have 3 of them on the roster.....Donald, Peters and Suh. Ironically, AD is the only one of those to win Defensive Player of the Year.

He's already earning his money.

• 3 / 6
55 posts Jun 17 2024