364 posts
  • 20 / 37
 by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Wow. That was a drubbing they gave Goff over there. They basically said Goff sucks.

yeah, pretty shocking that an eagles fan would think this, ha ha... but, hey, if you want to feel better about things, peter schrager from fox sports / nfl network thinks goff will outperform wilson over the next 5 seasons:

“Good Morning Football” host Peter Schrager was asked which NFC West quarterback he thinks will perform the best over the next five years, and he selected the Los Angeles Rams’ Jared Goff over Russell Wilson.

“Jared Goff, he went to a Super Bowl last season,” Schrager said. “Jared Goff is going to get paid like he deserves, and Jared Goff has, to me, the greatest mastermind when it comes to drawing up plays that are going to suit the young quarterback, Sean McVay. So you put that all together I’ll take the guy who I’ve seen do it on the field, in this offense, and no offense to Russell Wilson.”

by moklerman
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:yeah, pretty shocking that an eagles fan would think this, ha ha... but, hey, if you want to feel better about things, peter schrager from fox sports / nfl network thinks goff will outperform wilson over the next 5 seasons:

“Good Morning Football” host Peter Schrager was asked which NFC West quarterback he thinks will perform the best over the next five years, and he selected the Los Angeles Rams’ Jared Goff over Russell Wilson.

“Jared Goff, he went to a Super Bowl last season,” Schrager said. “Jared Goff is going to get paid like he deserves, and Jared Goff has, to me, the greatest mastermind when it comes to drawing up plays that are going to suit the young quarterback, Sean McVay. So you put that all together I’ll take the guy who I’ve seen do it on the field, in this offense, and no offense to Russell Wilson.”
Isn't what he was saying is he'd take the guy with the better coaching and weapons, not specifically Goff over Wilson?

by /zn/
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6803  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Wow. That was a drubbing they gave Goff over there. They basically said Goff sucks.

That was a tough read, because most of its basic assumptions are just bad. They also make the classic mistake of mixing up more veteran qb contracts with qb 2nd contracts, as if they were the same market.

I think it's a mistake to ignore the fact that the passing game was inconsistent in many of the last 8 games, and that a young 3rd year qb like Goff needs to (and most likely will) become more consistent.

But they make the opposite mistake by assuming that was all entirely on Goff and that he was just plain exposed, as opposed to being a still-inconsistent-at-times 3rd year qb. (One who has always improved in his career.)

That stuff will all die off soon enough.

Reminds me of reading some of the more skeptical takes on the Rams from early in 99. Will come back down to earth. Warner is an unknown soon to be exposed. They haven't played anyone. The writers sounded so certain and absolute.

by PARAM
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12304  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:So, not only is it not idiotic to not have him as elite, it's much more of the reverse. To consider him elite at this point goes against what coaches and NFL execs feel about him.

The thing is nobody is calling him elite. Even the most homeristic of Ram fans knows he's got room for improvement. But Aeneas' point is nobody has played better than Goff the last 2 seasons and looking at everything....the numbers, the record and the postseason appearances...….I don't know if anyone can honestly say another QB has outperformed Goff. Maybe Brady? And like some have said, he's improved every season so if it continues, he soon will be elite.

The idea he played bad in the postseason is over stated. He had a bad Superbowl (but so did the OL). Against Dallas the run game dominated so he didn't have to pass all over the place and in New Orleans, he may have played the best game of his career all things considered......the environment; the importance of the game; the fact he had to bring the Rams back and finally, the plays he made towards the end of the game.

He's a top 10 QB today. He may even be a top 5 QB right now. Elite will come in due time.

by moklerman
4 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The thing is nobody is calling him elite. Even the most homeristic of Ram fans knows he's got room for improvement. But Aeneas' point is nobody has played better than Goff the last 2 seasons and looking at everything....the numbers, the record and the postseason appearances...….I don't know if anyone can honestly say another QB has outperformed Goff. Maybe Brady? And like some have said, he's improved every season so if it continues, he soon will be elite.

The idea he played bad in the postseason is over stated. He had a bad Superbowl (but so did the OL). Against Dallas the run game dominated so he didn't have to pass all over the place and in New Orleans, he may have played the best game of his career all things considered......the environment; the importance of the game; the fact he had to bring the Rams back and finally, the plays he made towards the end of the game.

He's a top 10 QB today. He may even be a top 5 QB right now. Elite will come in due time.
Actually, A1 specifically stated (and had to restate because I missed it) that he considers him elite right now.

Me calling him a top 10 QB but not actually considered elite is what has fueled this conversation. That I coincidentally said that a day before Mike Sando posted an article where 55 coaches and executives said the same thing was just good timing.

by /zn/
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6803  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The thing is nobody is calling him elite. Even the most homeristic of Ram fans knows he's got room for improvement. But Aeneas' point is nobody has played better than Goff the last 2 seasons and looking at everything....the numbers, the record and the postseason appearances...….I don't know if anyone can honestly say another QB has outperformed Goff. Maybe Brady? And like some have said, he's improved every season so if it continues, he soon will be elite.

In the final 8 games he underperformed against Detroit, Chicago, Phil, Dallas, and the Patz.

It wasn't all him by any means but he was part of it.

I don't see the point in acting like that didn't happen. At the same time I keep reiterating that many good qbs have faltered that way in their 3rd year. I assume he will not only improve and become more consistent, but also the very fact that he played below average in those games will motivate him even more to improve.

Dallas? Completed 53+% for 6.64 yards per attempt, with no INTs but also no TD, and a qb rating of 74.4---all below his gold standard numbers for the year. Same with the other 4 games I mentioned.

Blazing numbers are not everything if you can't sustain it. So choosing a different (and to me) more valid criteria for measuring progress, his inconsistency in the final 8 games directly means (as you say) that he has room to improve. In THAT sense, which qbs outperformed him? Those who did not become that inconsistent at the end of the year.

There's of course no denying the top performances from the first half of the season...in fact all that was magnificent, and great to watch. But to me there's also no denying the inconsistent patch at the end. At the same time I absolutely believe he has the talent and mental make-up to put that kind of thing behind him, and to sustain top performance levels more consistently, as many good ones have before him (because--again--being inconsistent that way in year 3 is not a rare thing with good qbs.)

by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Homers always cherry pick games and stats. Sorry I live in the real world....

/zn/ wrote:In the final 8 games he underperformed against Detroit, Chicago, Phil, Dallas, and the Patz.

you really should consider charging admission to these clown shows.

by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Actually, A1 specifically stated (and had to restate because I missed it) that he considers him elite right now.

pretty sure that i said i consider goff to be a top tier qb, and i do.

by moklerman
4 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:pretty sure that i said i consider goff to be a top tier qb, and i do.
Isn't that what I just said?

by azramsfan93
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1494  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:Well the thread does include an article where a reporter asked 55 coaches and execs how they rank qbs now and to put them into tiers, 1 through 5.

That is not what he typed. Read his words.

• 20 / 37
364 posts Jun 17 2024