487 posts
  • 19 / 49
 by 69RamFan
5 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   3289  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

I definitely think Stafford plays at least two more years.
Because this kid wants a Gold Jacket, not only a Gold Jacket,
He has his eye on being a first ballot HOFer IMO.
If you saw the video trailer for Locked In,
He mentions he needs to win Super Bowls, (plural),
more than one.

I feel he wants three in total if the RAMs can do it back to back,
at least getting one more within two years.

I would even think, knowing that the RAMs make the playoffs,
Stafford calls up AD personally, and ask him,
I need you bro, I run the offense and you run the defense,
would guarantee us winning the SB in how this team is built now.

by PARAM
5 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   12391  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Just did one this morning......traded down with Murphy on the board and he was gone by the time I picked in the first. Traded with Tampa giving up #19 and #155 for #26 and #57. Traded with Baltimore giving up #154 for #165, 218 and 250. Of course as a fan who doesn't do scouting or have a big board, these were all "need" picks.

PFN_Draft_result_1711996505606.png

And just for shits and giggles, I did another one refusing all trades:

PFN_Draft_result_1711998028089.png

by Dare
5 months 6 days ago
 Total posts:   197  
United States of America   Tucson, AZ formerly of San Diego
Rookie

I've been saying all along that I think Matt is looking at retiring after this season. If the Rams take a QB in the first round I think that will confirm it. Even Colin Cowherd is thinking that now. It's all a matter of looking at 3 things.

1. Stafford's contract is structured like it was assumed his retirement after 2024 when he signed it.
2. This is the draft to grab a QB with at least two perhaps 3 potential first round worthy targets.
3. Taking a QB in the first round allows them to be flexible if Matt wants to play two more years (unlikely) instead of one more year. It's the 5th year contract option that is the key. Even sitting their first round pick for a year allows them to control his rights for 4 more years. Which in other words keeps him affordable for a total of 5 years.

IMO Penix and Nix are likely targets. But after his proday I think Penix will go probably in the top 5 or at least top 10. Nix might drop below 10 but IMO the Rams would likely trade up inside the top 10 to grab him if he falls out of the top 5. Two firsts and a third next year along with Atwell probably could get it done.

Only a QB IMO is worth trading up for. If they are unable to strike a deal then I think they stand pat and take an edge, CB or LT with the pick.

Regardless I think if they can't get the QB they want in the first round they have at least two they can target in the second or third round. Bennett IMO is looked at simply as a long term solution at QB2 at best. He was less than impressive last preseason. He played like a JAG. At this point I see Bennett simply as a camp arm or perhaps trade bait.

I have long thought Penix was McVay's choice for QB simply because of his arm and how he plays the game (i.e. he's the best at reading defenses of all the QBs in this class). But now with the changes in the Ram's offense, Nix is a very good fit. To get Penix the Rams would have to trade into one of the top 5 slots (Chargers come to mind). That would cost them 3 ones and a third plus Atwell.

No matter what they do this is going to be a whole different team in 2025. No less a contender, only different. Kupp might not be playing in 2025 especially if Stafford retires.

That said Turner is a worthy replacement for Donald. Nacua is already showing he is likewise for Kupp. The Rams. need their next QB1. two WRs (at least one), Edge, two OTs and a CB all of which they can get in this draft.

The more I look at the Rams FA moves (who they signed who they didn't) I really think their first 4 picks will be for QB, Edge, CB, OT the order taken will depend upon how the draft goes. Any one of those positions is worth a first round pick. Only QB is worth trading up for (Bears at 9 for Nix or Chargers at 5 for Penix).

I could see them taking Pratt in the second or Rattler in the third. Rattler IMO projects more as a long term QB2 to replace Bennett. Spencer is IMO a multi-year developmental project. Pratt looks like a potential second year starter. Pratt could be another Purdy like QB who could surprise.

Joe Milton would be an interesting pick at QB. I could see him being taken in the 5th round. He has excellent arm strength and prototypical height, hand size and arm length. His accuracy inconsistencies seem to be related to technique issues. The only question IMO is his ability to be able to develop his ability to read defenses post snap. There are times he looks confused or hesitant at what he sees. I can see him in a two to three year development window, but able to play as a backup during that time.

Yeah I see a totally different team in 2025. Not worse but actually better overall.

by actionjack
5 months 6 days ago
 Total posts:   4227  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Dare wrote:I've been saying all along that I think Matt is looking at retiring after this season. If the Rams take a QB in the first round I think that will confirm it. Even Colin Cowherd is thinking that now. It's all a matter of looking at 3 things.

1. Stafford's contract is structured like it was assumed his retirement after 2024 when he signed it.
2. This is the draft to grab a QB with at least two perhaps 3 potential first round worthy targets.
3. Taking a QB in the first round allows them to be flexible if Matt wants to play two more years (unlikely) instead of one more year. It's the 5th year contract option that is the key. Even sitting their first round pick for a year allows them to control his rights for 4 more years. Which in other words keeps him affordable for a total of 5 years.

IMO Penix and Nix are likely targets. But after his proday I think Penix will go probably in the top 5 or at least top 10. Nix might drop below 10 but IMO the Rams would likely trade up inside the top 10 to grab him if he falls out of the top 5. Two firsts and a third next year along with Atwell probably could get it done.

Only a QB IMO is worth trading up for. If they are unable to strike a deal then I think they stand pat and take an edge, CB or LT with the pick.

Regardless I think if they can't get the QB they want in the first round they have at least two they can target in the second or third round. Bennett IMO is looked at simply as a long term solution at QB2 at best. He was less than impressive last preseason. He played like a JAG. At this point I see Bennett simply as a camp arm or perhaps trade bait.

I have long thought Penix was McVay's choice for QB simply because of his arm and how he plays the game (i.e. he's the best at reading defenses of all the QBs in this class). But now with the changes in the Ram's offense, Nix is a very good fit. To get Penix the Rams would have to trade into one of the top 5 slots (Chargers come to mind). That would cost them 3 ones and a third plus Atwell.

No matter what they do this is going to be a whole different team in 2025. No less a contender, only different. Kupp might not be playing in 2025 especially if Stafford retires.

That said Turner is a worthy replacement for Donald. Nacua is already showing he is likewise for Kupp. The Rams. need their next QB1. two WRs (at least one), Edge, two OTs and a CB all of which they can get in this draft.

The more I look at the Rams FA moves (who they signed who they didn't) I really think their first 4 picks will be for QB, Edge, CB, OT the order taken will depend upon how the draft goes. Any one of those positions is worth a first round pick. Only QB is worth trading up for (Bears at 9 for Nix or Chargers at 5 for Penix).

I could see them taking Pratt in the second or Rattler in the third. Rattler IMO projects more as a long term QB2 to replace Bennett. Spencer is IMO a multi-year developmental project. Pratt looks like a potential second year starter. Pratt could be another Purdy like QB who could surprise.

Joe Milton would be an interesting pick at QB. I could see him being taken in the 5th round. He has excellent arm strength and prototypical height, hand size and arm length. His accuracy inconsistencies seem to be related to technique issues. The only question IMO is his ability to be able to develop his ability to read defenses post snap. There are times he looks confused or hesitant at what he sees. I can see him in a two to three year development window, but able to play as a backup during that time.

Yeah I see a totally different team in 2025. Not worse but actually better overall.

I highly doubt that Penix or Nix go in the top ten, but QB drafting can get crazy. I know this, the Rams are not trading a multiple 1st round picks + more to grab Penix in the top 5 or 10. They are in win right now mode with Staff who I think at min plays two years for the Rams.
I like Rattler in the 3rd round, I think he could be an eventual starter, will see.

by rams74
5 months 6 days ago
 Total posts:   1517  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Dare wrote:I've been saying all along that I think Matt is looking at retiring after this season.

Based on what? The length and structure of his contract? Based on that, Kirk Cousins would already be retired. But he's not, because he doesn't want to be.

Based on anything Stafford has said, he just wants to keep playing. And that's more than fine with me.

I don't know why some people are so intent on getting Stafford (and Kupp) to go away. Just so you can say you called it???

by AltiTude Ram
5 months 6 days ago
 Total posts:   2273  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Not to mention the amount of QB's that have become available the past couple of years.

Wilson was let go by the Broncos. Fields was made available. Lance was cast out of SF. Cousins was a FA. Wentz was picked up off the street. Wilson from the Jets is another former 1st round pick that might be had.

There's always capitalizing on past mistakes from other teams.

The Rams could always throw some picks at QB when the time comes. It hasn’t come yet. Keep riding Stafford until he decides he's done.

by PARAM
5 months 6 days ago
 Total posts:   12391  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I don't think Stafford is even thinking retirement yet. He's having too much fun. I guess that's what happens when you play for a shit team that gets to the postseason 3 times in 12 years. An appearance this coming year would be 3 in 4 years.

by ramsman34
5 months 6 days ago
 Total posts:   8947  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

PARAM wrote:Just did one this morning......traded down with Murphy on the board and he was gone by the time I picked in the first. Traded with Tampa giving up #19 and #155 for #26 and #57. Traded with Baltimore giving up #154 for #165, 218 and 250. Of course as a fan who doesn't do scouting or have a big board, these were all "need" picks.

PFN_Draft_result_1711996505606.png

And just for shits and giggles, I did another one refusing all trades:

PFN_Draft_result_1711998028089.png

I like both those drafts. Not as high Newton in the first. But, we will se how it unfolds and who we end up with on all the defensive positions of need by the time camp rolls around and right before the season starts. More vets will be added somehow on top of the draft picks and UDFAs.

by ramsman34
5 months 6 days ago
 Total posts:   8947  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Unless Stafford is full of shit and blatantly lying about wanting the HOF and superbowl “wins” I don't see how anyone could think he’s retiring after this season. Unless of course you think the Rams win it all this season and then he bows out thinking he’s a lock for the HOF.

I just hope whomever they draft comes in and contributes at a high level right away and gets better as the year progresses. At whatever positions they pick.

• 19 / 49
487 posts Sep 07 2024